• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.

Fos or somebody that knows?

Started by pitw, February 14, 2011, 02:34:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pitw

I'm not sure what all I can smoke with Mesquite :confused:.  What will it wreck and what will it enhance.   I'm going to do some Garlic sausage today for a test but I like the smell of this stuff and want some other ideas before I wreck something.
I say what I think not think what I say.

WhiteHare

pitw
Not saying I know.   I got this from another site I frequent.... Smokingmeatforums.com

Hope it helps some.

Wood for smoking

ALDER - Very delicate with a hint of sweetness. Good with fish, pork, poultry, and light-meat game birds.
ALMOND - A nutty and sweet smoke flavor, light ash, very much like pecan. Good with all meats.
APPLE - Very mild with a subtle fruity flavor, slightly sweet. Good with poultry (turns skin dark brown) and pork.
ASH - Fast burner, light but distinctive flavor. Good with fish and red meats.
BLACK WALNUT - Very heavy smoke flavor, usually mixed with lighter wood like hickory or mesquite. Can be bitter if used alone. Good with red meats and game.
CHERRY - Mild, fruity, but slightly bitter if it comes from chokecherry trees. Good with poultry, pork and beef (turns skin brown).
GRAPEVINES - Tart. Provides a lot of smoke. Rich and fruity. Good with poultry, red meats, game and lamb.
HICKORY - Most commonly used wood for smoking. Sweet to strong, heavy bacon flavor. Good with pork, ham and beef.
LILAC - Very light, subtle with a hint of floral. Good with seafood and lamb.
MAPLE - Smoky, mellow and slightly sweet. Good with pork, poultry, cheese, and small game birds.
MESQUITE - Strong earthy flavor. Good with beef, fish, chicken, and game. One of the hottest burning.
OAK - Heavy smoke flavor. Red oak is good on ribs, white oak makes the best coals for longer burning. Good with red meat, fish and heavy game.
ORANGE and LEMON - Light and citrusy. Good with pork and game birds.
PEAR - A nice subtle flavor. Much like apple. Excellent with chicken and pork.
PECAN - A cool burner. Nutty and sweet. Tasty with a subtle character. Good with steaks, ribs, and cheese.
SWEET FRUIT WOODS - Apricot, Plum, Peach Great on most white or pink meats, including chicken, turkey, pork, fish. The flavor is milder and sweeter than hickory.
WhiteHare Lanyards
Richard Hughes

www.white-hare.com
whitehare@white-hare.com

pitw

Thanks WhiteHare :bowingsmilie:.   I'm kinda/sorta playing with the mesquite and also kinda/sorta hate having runaways. :laf: I may have to join that site and see if they have as much fun as here :innocentwhistle:.

Hawks Feather

Quote from: pitw on February 14, 2011, 03:22:02 PM
I may have to join that site and see if they have as much fun as here :innocentwhistle:.

No site has as much fun as we do at Fins and Fun I mean Fur.      :biggrin:

Jerry

WhiteHare

How about some pictures?
I've cold smoked some cheese, briskets and pork shoulder but haven't ventured into making sausages or jerky -----  Yet.

OOPS! My bad, saw you stuffing the sausage I meant picks of the smoking part.
WhiteHare Lanyards
Richard Hughes

www.white-hare.com
whitehare@white-hare.com

Hawks Feather

Quote from: WhiteHare on February 14, 2011, 05:40:13 PM
How about some pictures?
OOPS! My bad, saw you stuffing the sausage I meant picks of the smoking part.

This sounds BAD on so many levels.  If I didn't know WhiteHair WhiteHare better I would think he did it on purpose.    :innocentwhistle:

Jerry

alscalls

I have these in a brine right now..... and after they are smoked she will can them for the cabin stash.... :biggrin:

^^^
OOps that was probably over the line to use a smile on here..... Crap!....  :alscalls: :alscalls: :alscalls: :alscalls:

AL

http://alscalls.googlepages.com/alscalls

FOsteology

Barry,

Mesquite is used quite extensively here in Texas for smoking and Bar-B-Q

pitw

Quote from: FOsteology on February 14, 2011, 07:22:39 PM
Barry,

Mesquite is used quite extensively here in Texas for smoking and Bar-B-Q

I kinda thought and I hope it goes well here.  I gotta try something to warm our hearts :eyebrow:

FinsnFur

Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

FOsteology

I like using mesquite mainly for beef brisket and venison.
For your garlic sausage I would recommend hickory. At least, that's what I normally use. Hickory is milder and doesn't over power the pork like mesquite.

FOsteology

Al,

What sort of brine do you use on the rabbits? What type of wood to smoke?

And when canning, are you just canning the meat, or do you make a stew and can??

alscalls

LEM cure  Out of Ohio...... Same as I would ham........ I like to use apple, pear and the like  Good green Hickory from the farm mixed in is nice.....  :eyebrow:

She cans bones and all for flavor and she has it down to where the the leg or back comes out pretty much in one piece then bones are easy to pull out when ya open it so you can make what ya want when ya want.
Something to do with how long its cooked and the pressure...... but thats her dept. Shes good at it.

Of course the rabbit has to be cut up right...... NEVER cut above a joint.....always below....... or the meat will curl up....... I use a set of snips for that..... makes quick work of em.
AL

http://alscalls.googlepages.com/alscalls