• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.
Main Menu

Rough country mulie...

Started by Smith, November 17, 2007, 09:29:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Smith

I got a chance to go into an area that is hunted very little. The day we went in was misserable, 50 mph winds gusting to 80. We were horseback for around 3 hours and decided to spot from a high ridge. We walked out to the point on the ridge, I turned around to see where we had tied the horses. There between the horses and us was this guy, he litterally came out of nowhere!! 50 yard shot(bow range). There was a bunch of brush that we walked by he must of been bedded in. He had no idea we were there. We watched him for a minute, he smelled the air for does the he started pissing on his dorsels. :shck:. I couldnt take it any more, I smacked him with a 160 grain nosler accubond 7mm mag, when I shot him he bailed off the ridge we were on into a 500 foot straight down hell hole :doh2:. I gutted him out and rode out to get a pack horse. This is one of the biggest mulies I have taken, he is 28 inches wide and around 25 inches tall. He has poor forks but I really dont care. He has 7 on his right and 4 on the left. This was by far the funnest mule deer hunt I have ever been on :yoyo:!!

It was about a 5 mile ride into where we were. no way to get a bike let alone a 4 wheeler or pickup to where he was.

Commin out...

Back at cow camp....

After I got him out the kid that was with me said there were bigger ones in there and that I should have not shot him :doh2:. I told him I have next year to better myself :eyebrownod:.

Lucas
Right thing easy, wrong thing hard...

Hawks Feather

Nice story, great pictures, and an awesome mulie.  The one picture coming out is rather unique - a horse with antlers.

Jerry

cb223

That is so awesome! The adventures that you go on make me jealous! To live that life is but a dream for me.
CHAD

bowjunkie

nice Buck Smith   :yoyo: thats the best way ta get the bigguns I grew up hunting the rough stuff

BasinBoy

Great buck and awesome looking country to. I love the rough stuff. Thats were they grow big and smart!

FinsnFur

Wow, nice rack....and that country ...MAN!
Awesome Lucas...thanks for sharing those epics.
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

vvarmitr

Now that's a deer hunt!   :bowingsmilie:  :bowingsmilie:  :bowingsmilie: 

I dream of hunts like that! ;yes;

Congrats & I'm excedingly happy for you!  :biggrin:

Is that a BAR you're using?

studabaka

Man Lucas, That's the kinda story and pics I would have a hard time even imagining as I sit here in eastern farm land watching the squirrels and hoping for a white tail half that size to come my way  :nono: Though I'm pretty sure my boney arse would be challenged to make the 5 mile ride  into that country. Let alone riding back for a pack horse and packing him out.

Thanks for posting and congrats  :congrats: :congrats:
"If your argument can only be made or expressed by putting someone else down, then it probably ain't worth spit." -- MicheGoodStone SA Pro Staff

FOsteology

Awesome! Heck of nice mule deer, and looks like some beautiful country to hunt on horseback. Congrats, and thanks for sharing!

Smith

Thanks guys, I am glad you enjoyed the pics. I grew up hunting this stuff. I now ranch in it. I spend a 1000 miles or so horseback a year in this kind of stuff. It is unforgiving country but I wouldn't want to ranch or live anywhere else.

VVarmitr- yes it is a BAR. this is the 3rd big buck it has taken. My grandpa shot a 205bc mulie with it many years ago, my brother shot a 190bc mulie with it in 2005, now mine at around 180bc or so. My dad is wanting to use it to see if a little of the mulie magic will wear off on him :laf:.

Lucas

Brad H

WOW!! You really scored this year!

Did you turn the head over to Herb?

Please tell me you did. :eyebrow:

Brad

keekee

Troy Walter

Wow.to cool that third picture with the head on the horse the back ground is priceless.

Smith

Brad, we messeed the cape up on him draggin him a ways :argh:, I am gonna take him to Herbs next year :yoyo:.

Lucas