• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.

Spring Grizzly Hunt Disaster

Started by Tikaani, April 28, 2009, 01:39:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tikaani

Well, I have been planning this hunt for over two months, it was over sixty miles in on snowmachines.  I had someone fly me over to scout it out, every detail of this hunt was taken care of.  I had high resolution topo maps and sat photos of the area.  I had a small knoll at the confluence of four valleys picked out as camp, a view of five miles down each valley, twenty plus miles of visibility from one spot.  I invited a coworker to go, something I do not normally do.  Because of the snow conditions and the distance I was going, the wife insisted that someone go with me.  First he wanted to leave Fairbanks on Thursday morning instead of Wednesday night, which was a critical mistake, we needed to be in the Alaska Range at first light while the snow was crusted over from the cold night and would support the weight of the machines, at this point I suspected something and sure enough he canceled at 1030 at night, six hours prior to leaving.  I had to change location of where I was going to hunt to a place closer and less remote and spent most of the first day digging my machine out of the snow, (when the crust breaks the snow underneath at this time of year is like sugar crystals, no traction).  Then the ceiling dropped and visibility went to zero and stayed there and if that wasn't enough it started to snow.  As soon as it got cold enough to freeze the snow crust and a little better visibility, I headed the twenty miles to the road and returned for home.  Saw plenty of moose and a coyote, the weather did not provide much for pictures but these were snapped as I decided to head home.  Will head back to the Gokana River in mid May with the ARGO and try again.

Hunt Hard, Die Tired
John

Growing Old Ain't for Pussies.

FinsnFur

Wow, that would upset me too, but at a completely different level since I've never out in the middle of no where before, let alone with such adverse conditions.

Looks a like a good place to die tired :wink:
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

pitw

Sorry to hear that your well planned hunt got sideswiped John.  I hope you have a much better time in may.  When I go after something I want I go solo as well so that when it comes time for decision making the right one is made or the ass that needs kicking is close enough for it.
I say what I think not think what I say.

Coulter

Man that is horrible...I don't suppose you'll be inviting that guy out again. That is one of the reasons I hunt solo 90% of the time too. I would rather not need to rely on somebody else for anything. It also makes the decision making process much easier.

My wife doesn't agree with my hunting ethics, but after I took a couple of strapping young men out to one of my favorite waterfowling spots that requires some effort to get to she now understands. There impressions from that hunt when we were done - in there own words was..."No wonder nobody wants to hunt with you!"

If I can't get away from the crowds, and therefore the idiots, I would rather not hunt at all. I'll stick to my trapline if all else fails :yoyo: I'm guaranteed peace and quiet at 4am :wink:

Good luck on your second effort John. I hope all goes well and you bag a nice big bear. It sure is fun planning a hunt like that isn't it? I'm sure you'll make use of all that effort sometime in the future. We're looking forward to the pictures of your hunt.

Steve

vvarmitr

That sure stinks!  :madd:
Then again maybe your Big Hunting Buddy, that you wouldn't want to hunt w/o, has better plans?  :shrug:
Generally after the kicking & screamin, & I take a breath from my tantrum He reminds me He's in control. ;yes;
It's all about Him anyways. :thumb2:

Looking forward to reading about Plan B.  :eyebrow:

Todd Rahm

Thats a total bummer John.  :sad: I do how ever do not envy ya being on that snow this time of the year.  :sad3:

slagmaker

I have taken peoplle on diffrent outings and have had them try to alter deperatrure times and such. AS soon as they start changing my plans to match there schedule they get left behind. In your case I am not sure what I would have done. safety is first and formost in my planning and I have never hunted in such a remote area.
Don't bring shame to our sport.

He died for dipshits too.

Hawks Feather

Having a person bail on you at the last minute would be the pits, but possibly it was planned for a different purpose.  My knee started hurting just looking at the picture of your snow machine bogged down and needing some help.  Maybe the BIG one is still asleep and will be awake and hungry (that didn't sound right) when you get there later.

Jerry

KySongDog

99% of the time I hunt alone for that very reason.   Two people make twice as much noise as one me think.  But in that remote of a setting I can see where another person would be a big safety factor.   I still think I would carry one of those "Find Me Spot" locaters so I could call for the helicopter if needed. 

I also think I would take that "buddy" off my Christmas card list.    :wink:   :biggrin:

Okanagan

What a bummer, John.  I feel frustrated for you.  We only have a limited number of spring seasons in our lives, and relatively few of those when age, health, finances, equipment, work and responsibilities permit such a  hunt.  This guy casually wrecked a major slice of your life.  I've been on a highjacked or derailed hunt or three myself.  They still rankle.

On a goat hunt I invited a friend in order to avoid the danger of solo hunting in such severe country.  On our hour long drive to the mountain range he discarded my hunt plan and decreed that we would climb a different sub range entirely, etc.  He was older and I respected him and didn't know what to do but go along.  On the good side, I learned some new country and we spotted a big lone goat.  I went back solo the following season and killed that goat, the only B&C animal I've taken.  I drink that old friend's coffee and swap stories but have never hunted with him since.

There are very few men with whom I hunt anything serious any more, or would even consider hunting with.

Am rooting for a big bear for you in May.

Hidehunter

Thats horrible.  I myself hunt alone much of the time but I do enjoy getting out with my hunting buddies to.
Denver                                           

iahntr

Man that's rough !! Real sorry to hear that John. Some people just don't think,
know what a commitment is, or have the right standards. We've had a few
through the years pull crap like that on us, most of em we've weeded out.
Here's to bigger and better in May.
Scott