• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.
Main Menu

WTB Fly reels

Started by Todd Rahm, June 22, 2010, 07:55:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

coyotehunter_1

Nastygunz... great article! :thumb2:  It makes me want to dust off a few of my fly rods this spring.  :wink:   
Please visit our ol' buddies over at: http://www.easterncoyotes.com

Born and raised in the southern highlands of Appalachia, I'm just an ol' country boy who enjoys calling coyotes... nothing more, nothing less.

nastygunz

Thank you sir!...it is a great sport for sure.

Okanagan

Yes, well lived and well written!  When you say article, I'm assuming that was published.   Who do you write for?
  You write like someone used to being published.

nastygunz

If I may modestly say, I am well published, I always have loved writing, on a variety of subjects, outdoors, employment, psychology,etc. The internet has made it so easy,after years of snail mailing everything back and forth. For anyone looking to get into it, this is an awesome site, I have been using it for years with good success:

http://www.writersmarket.com/?gclid=CODlvoeUjqwCFQjc4AodFz-BnA

nastygunz

"Who do you write for?"

Anyone who will pay me! As a freelancer I hunt up places that I think might fit and then contact them asking to submit material. That's the hard part,but again, the Net has made it alot easier. Just like the guy says on the Writers market web site, I joined about 7 years ago and within a few weeks had sold 2 articles and paid for my subscription for about 4 years.

Todd Rahm

No Gunz, no bother at all. I really enjoyed the read.  :nofgr:

I'll have to say, while I'm on my way, I don't quite have it that bad yet (the passion). It's only a matter if time though, I'm sure.  :yoyo:

nastygunz

Todd, you sure have plenty of good fishing up there to practice on  :yoyo:

nastygunz

Jimbo, fly rod, brown wooly bugger, stripped low n slow on the bottom, twin to a small crawdad, DEADLY on bass, especially small-mouth!...the way you strip in fly line makes it look exactly like a small crawdad swimming backwards in spurts, that's bassin  :wink:

Okanagan

Quote from: nastygunz on October 29, 2011, 10:07:31 AM
"Who do you write for?"

Anyone who will pay me! As a freelancer I hunt up places that I think might fit and then contact them asking to submit material. That's the hard part,but again, the Net has made it alot easier. Just like the guy says on the Writers market web site, I joined about 7 years ago and within a few weeks had sold 2 articles and paid for my subscription for about 4 years.

Good for you! 

I did quite a bit of freelancing during the 80's, and helped accumulate the downpayment for our first house.   It paid, though sometimes not much, and was enjoyment for me.  Your comment about writing for whoever will pay makes me laugh.  That's a pro comment. 

It also reminds me of my wife's take on my writing.  My first story was an outdoor piece but I wasn't sure who to send it to (that was before I learned to write to match specific editors).  Her comment:  "Who pays the most?"

After a few years of consistent writing, my boss said, "Hey, if you can write for those magazines you can write for us," and asked me to become Communications Coordinator in the main office.  A pro writer friend told me not to take it because I would stop freelancing.  He was right but it was a good move for me.   Writer's Market was all in print when I was using it.  Fun to revisit it on the web.

I always enjoy reading your posts.  You've lived enough to have something to say, and you say it well.

Okanagan

I'm going to step on my own lines here and post a fly rod pic right after a post of my own with somewhat different tone and content.

The photo below is of a sockeye salmon and fly rod taken the first evening I fished with the new fly rod.  It is an odd rod.  It is a Cortland graphite, purchased new at a Sportsman's Show booth.  I wasn't looking for a rod, but this one only was incredibly low priced, about $50 as I recall.   I knew I would soon need a stout rod to replace my ancient 9 wt that I use for salmon, and that is sure to break soon from all of the nicks and wear.

The new rod says "9' for Line 9/10" on the rod just up from the cork handle, where such info goes.  But it is 9' 3" long.  I suspect that it began life as  9' 6" that got its tip broken during construction at the factory, had its tip bobbed and was "repaired" right there.  I really like the little fighting butt extension past the reel.  On big fish I put the knob against my chest.  It gives me small bruises on my sternum but it is way better for handling big fish that zip out line against the drag, and sets the reel out just enough to make it turn and reel easier when up against my chest.

nastygunz

My 10 weight has that same fighting butt..man just look at the shape of that fish...just made for cutting through the water, you cant beat natures design!

Dale

Quote from: Okanagan on October 29, 2011, 06:51:10 PM
The new rod says "9' for Line 9/10" on the rod just up from the cork handle, where such info goes.  But it is 9' 3" long.  I suspect that it began life as  9' 6" that got its tip broken during construction at the factory, had its tip bobbed and was "repaired" right there.  I really like the little fighting butt extension past the reel.  On big fish I put the knob against my chest.  It gives me small bruises on my sternum but it is way better for handling big fish that zip out line against the drag, and sets the reel out just enough to make it turn and reel easier when up against my chest.

is it 9'3" to the end of the fighting butt or to the end of the rod with the butt removed?... normally they are measured tip to the end of the rod... the fighting butt will add length not recorded on the rod...

did you get a plug to stick in if you remove the fighting butt?... what about a rod bag and case?...  if all that stuff didn't come with the rod, that is probably the reason for the low price...

I've used Cortland rods before, and many of their fly lines... the rods have all given satisfactory performance, in fact I still have one, a 8', 5/6 weight around just for chits and giggles... I use it beating around for bluegills and bass in ponds etc...
when you step out of the truck you become part of the food chain...

nastygunz

A lot of the guys on the Salmon River in Pulaski, New York use the ugly stick big water fly rods, I use one myself.

Okanagan

Quote from: Dale on May 17, 2016, 08:31:29 PM
Quote from: Okanagan on October 29, 2011, 06:51:10 PM

is it 9'3" to the end of the fighting butt or to the end of the rod with the butt removed?... normally they are measured tip to the end of the rod... the fighting butt will add length not recorded on the rod...

did you get a plug to stick in if you remove the fighting butt?... what about a rod bag and case?...  if all that stuff didn't come with the rod, that is probably the reason for the low price...

Brilliant!  I think you just explained the difference between the 9 foot length printed on the rod and the actual 9' 3" -- it is the added fighting butt.

The rod came with nothing, but I have cases made from plastic vacuum cleaner pipe with end caps and I bought a BUNCH of rod sleeves at a Cabela's one time for fifty cents each, many lengths and sizes.    Meanwhile, I have given up on that rod and moved on.  It never loads right and I finally admitted that it feels lousy when I cast it, so on a whim at the Seattle Sportsman Show awhile back I bought a 9 foot 8 weight to use for salmon.   Let's hope that they open a sockeye season this summer!

Before that I had picked up a close-out 9' 6" rod blank in 8 weight and some cheap fixin's of handle, guides etc.  I was considering building it to take either a spin reel or a fly reel when I ran across the 8 weight I liked and abandoned the build-it-myself project.  :biggrin:  Now I have parts to build a rod.   May sell or may sic a grandson on it.

Nasty, I didn't know ugly stick made a fly rod.

nastygunz

http://www.uglystik.com/uglystik-rods-fly-rods/ugly-stik-bigwater-fly-rod/1363871.html

12345Great Value- well made
âœ"  I'd recommend this!December 06, 2013
Pros: durable
Cons: None yet
Comments: 9ft 10W, perfect for Salmon on the river in NY. They are on the heavy side.. but so is a 25lb King Salmon!
shoes
PA
(2) / (4) :
rusty
12345ugly stick
âœ"  I'd recommend this!November 20, 2013
Pros: durable
Best Uses: handle any salmon easily
Comments: i now own 2 of these rods...love them use for salmon fishing on the Pulaski river...
rusty
rome new york