• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.
Main Menu

My new box blind

Started by coyote101, October 03, 2015, 10:20:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

coyote101

A friend of mine tore down his wood deck to build a sun room on his house. I salvaged enough of the two-by lumber and deck boards to build a new box blind on the farm I hunt. I had to pull hundreds of nails from the old boards but hey, the wood was free.  :biggrin:

Starting to take shape

Just hung the door and working on the back wall.

The door is also made from salvaged deck boards.

It took a couple of days to complete, but the weather was pleasant

It's 6X6X6' under an 8X8' aluminum roof made from some old awning panels I had.

This is the second one I've built this year. I built one in the late spring from some old pallet wood and privacy fence boards that I scrounged. I hope to kill something from it before too long.

Pat
NRA Life Member

"On the plains of hesitation bleach the bones of countless millions who, at the dawn of decision, sat down to wait, and waiting died." - Sam Ewing

Hawks Feather

Looks pretty nice.  If you add a recliner you can spend the winter in there.  :biggrin: 

Jerry

FinsnFur

Very nice! I was gonna ask what the heck kind of standing seam roof that was but you already mentioned it. Good idea :wink:
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

HaMeR

That's a purdy nice vacation home ya got there Pat!! Nicely done!!
Glen

RIP Russ,Blaine,Darrell

http://brightwoodturnings.com

2014-15 TBC-- 11

riverboss

Looks good Pat!

Sent from my BLU STUDIO 5.0 C HD using Tapatalk

pitw

Pat that thing looks awesome.  It would double as a chicken coop as the flock wouldn't peck their way outta that one. :nofgr:
I say what I think not think what I say.

slagmaker

Sweet! That ought to keep you dry and warm-ish.
Don't bring shame to our sport.

He died for dipshits too.

Dale

nice looking shack, and it's already camouflaged with the old weathered boards you used...  looks like a fairly dry area, with a fold up cot you could go out, put them to bed and be there for first light... maybe wander off and call in a yodel dog just to break up the long night...  :biggrin:
when you step out of the truck you become part of the food chain...

Dave

Very nice, Pat. Looks like it's recessed in perfectly along that field edge.

FOsteology

Should keep you dry!

Now to break it in proper.

Okanagan

Nice work!  Impressive straight lines and tight joints.  You do carpentry as well as you shoot!

Hawks Feather

Have you been able to use this for hunting yet?

Jerry

coyote101

Quote from: FOsteology on November 16, 2015, 02:28:26 PM
Should keep you dry!

I spent about six hours in it today staying out of the drizzle and rain, FOs.

Quote from: Okanagan on November 16, 2015, 03:21:44 PM
Nice work!  Impressive straight lines and tight joints.  You do carpentry as well as you shoot!

All of that wood was very dry and has been exposed to the weather for several years. It looked pretty tight when I first built it, but you wouldn't believe the gaps between the boards now.

Quote from: Hawks Feather on November 16, 2015, 06:37:35 PM
Have you been able to use this for hunting yet?

I put it to good use today Jerry. I stayed in it longer than I intended to because of the rain, but fortunately, it worked out.

Looking out over the corn field.

This girl came along about sunset and gave me a broadside shot at about forty yards:

Pat
NRA Life Member

"On the plains of hesitation bleach the bones of countless millions who, at the dawn of decision, sat down to wait, and waiting died." - Sam Ewing

FOsteology

Big doe. A heck of a lot bigger than what I have in my area!

Yotehntr

Yotehntr calls... put something pretty on your lips :wink:

coyote101

Quote from: FOsteology on November 16, 2015, 09:12:13 PM
Big doe. A heck of a lot bigger than what I have in my area!

I'm mostly a meat hunter FOs, and she's just what I was after. I'll shoot a buck if I have a chance at a nice one, but I pass on them most years. The buck I shot last year was the first one in six or seven years.

Pat
NRA Life Member

pitw

Cool pics Pat.  I ain't shot nothing with horns for years.  Growing up on and around ranch's I just never seen a rancher go out in the pasture and shoot the old bull for meat. :shrug:
I say what I think not think what I say.

Carolina Coyote

Very nice blind Pat, that does look like a large Doe and just curious what it would weight as mature Does in Georgia where I hunt range from 100 to 130 but I am seeing some this year that I believe will go more than that, guys that hunt 30 to 40 miles South of us say they have Does that weight 150 to 170 lbs . I have seen some very nice Bucks this year but have not taken one yet as we Trophy Hunt during the rut and then start taking Does for meat.

Hawks Feather

Glad to see that it is working for you.  Since your hunting season is over maybe you can sublet the blind.   :innocentwhistle:

Jerry

FOsteology

Pat,

WT doe here in Texas (and especially in the hill country) are rather small. Knocking one down might yield enough meat for a couple sammiches... :laf: