• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.
Main Menu

Bobcat mount

Started by coyote101, July 21, 2011, 01:33:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

coyote101

My bobcat mount is finally finished. I picked it up from the taxidermist today and am pretty pleased with it. Let me know what you think.

Pat
NRA Life Member

"On the plains of hesitation bleach the bones of countless millions who, at the dawn of decision, sat down to wait, and waiting died." - Sam Ewing

Hawks Feather

Pat,

It looks pretty lifelike to me.  In fact it looks like it has moved a couple of places while being photographed.  You need to put a leash on it before it is gone.    :wink:

Jerry

possumal

Pat, if that is taxidermy, the fellow who did it is destined to be known as the best in the world.  :biggrin:
Al Prather
Foxpro Field Staff

riverboss

Thats a nice looking Cat you have there and i also like the skull that you did. :yoyo:

HaMeR

That sure is a nice looking Cat Pat!!  :biggrin: :biggrin:

Pic #5 has the same look it did when it just realized "SHIITE!!!!!!  That's Pat!!!!"  :laf: :laf:
Glen

RIP Russ,Blaine,Darrell

http://brightwoodturnings.com

2014-15 TBC-- 11

FinsnFur

I'm going to take your word for it that it looks good. Taxidermy cat mounts are not photogenic, I dont care who you are.
I dont think I've ever seen a picture of a cat mount that looked like it actually did face to face. Pictures just ruin them.  I dont know what it is, or why, but it's something to do with the cats faces and they all look the same, "zombified".

Dont take me wrong Pat, I'm confident your cat turned out great. I just cant comment on it based on the pics cause I know what the pics do to it.
I think even after you looked at the pics yourself, you seen the difference, and your the only one here that can see the real cat.  :wink:
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

George Ackley

i am with river runner on this one , i have many cat mounts and its all about the eyes and eye lids when it comes to cats.
Lift Your Truck, Fat Girls Cant Jump

coyote101

Quote from: George Ackley on July 22, 2011, 02:46:12 AM
... its all about the eyes and eye lids when it comes to cats.

I know what you are saying George. Most mounted bobcats, including mine, tend to have a "stretched" look to their face, as if the skin around the eyes is pulled too tight. Looking at pictures of live bobcats the skin appears more relaxed and the tops of the pupils are almost never visible.

I'm pretty pleased with mine and think it is better than most bobcat mounts I have seen, but its not as natural looking as I would like. I'm going to talk to the taxidermist when he returns from vacation to see if he can rework the eyelids a bit. If not, oh well, I'll keep it the way it is.

Pat
NRA Life Member

"On the plains of hesitation bleach the bones of countless millions who, at the dawn of decision, sat down to wait, and waiting died." - Sam Ewing

George Ackley

coyote, sorry i was talking cat mounts in general  you mount look as good as any have seen. what i was thinking was when i do see a cat mount i go right for the eyes . the eyes of a cat make the mount   . i have a couple with wide eyes

coyote101

No offense taken George.

Like I say, I'm pretty pleased with it, but in pictures of live bobcats you can rarely see the top of the pupils. I'm going to see if the taxidermist can work on the eyes just a bit, but if not I'm ok with it.

Pat 
NRA Life Member

KySongDog

It looks pretty good to me, Pat.   The cat looks like it was resting and then something startled him. 

Perhaps he just realized the barrel of your shotgun was aimed in his direction.   

Frogman

looks good to me!!

Jim
You can't kill 'em from the recliner!!

possumal

Pat, I think your bobcat is real live looking, based on other mounts I have seen.  If the taxidermist had done any better, somebody might have blown another hole in him.  :biggrin:
Al Prather
Foxpro Field Staff

iahntr

I kind of agree with everybody so far.  :biggrin:
I think it looks real good. I also agree that cats
are one of the hardest to mount, and take photos
of, and I also agree, if I had to critique one thing,
it would be that the eyes are slightly open too wide.
I like it though, and always like that style or pose.
Congrats again on it.
Scott

George Ackley

I have used many taxidermy guys, sometime because I am in a pinch and other times because I was lead to believe the guy was good.

so let me tell yea I have some really bad mounts. I will get some photos together so we can all have a chuckle . that cat in the above photos is better then good.

Yotehntr

Nice mount and great trophy Pat!  Cat's are the coolest IMO!
Yotehntr calls... put something pretty on your lips :wink:

hunter724

sweet mount...looks good to me...

Roundman

Most of the time when you see a cat they have that "I don't give a chit I'm sleepy" look. Most bobcat mounts I've seen have the bugeye look to them. The funny thing is it works with some poses. If the cat's jumping or stalking prey it looks good, but if he's kicked back relaxing it looks out of place. I've got a fox mounted and one of the eyes looks great and the other is a little off. He has that Festus look. lol    Making the  eyes look natural must be the hardest part of doing the job. Anyway, I think the mount looks good. 

nastygunz

I really like the pose it looks very natural, neat looking I say.