• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.

How was everybodies day??

Started by HaMeR, September 11, 2009, 04:18:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HaMeR

Mine went real good. We worked close to home here. We even seen a couple jets fly over that were landing up the road from us about 25 miles away at the Akron/Canton Airport. When I seen the 1st one go by I got that saddened feeling. I knew what day it was & I always have feelings toward the sumbitches that did it but apparently it took seeing that 1st passenger jet go by to make the realization of the day set in completely.

I'll explain things now.

September 11, 2001

We had a decent fog along the river here. The air was cool. Not chilly. Just cool enough that with the fog all I could think about was squirrel season. It was a regular day at work. Everybody was present & accounted for & it was going to be an easy day. All we had to do was tear off shingles & put em back on & we were done for the weekend. The homeowners, older folks, were setting out in lawn chairs with blankets wrapped around them watching us. As the morning played out conversation was normal goofy stuff as usual. All of a sudden we could hear the roar of a jet engine somewhere above us. We all stopped & looked up just in time to see it fly over. It was so low we could read the numbers on the underside of the wings!! After exchanging a few "WOW!! Did you see that??!!" we went back to work. The whole time the homeowners were watching us they had a small radio setting beside them. The Lady went in the house 1st. She came back out a few minutes later & got her husband. He came back out a few minutes later & told us a plane had just hit one of the Towers. A couple minutes later his Wife came back out & said a 2nd plane hit the other Tower. Throughout the day they kept us informed. We were greatful for their passing things along to us. By the time we were done it was speculated as a terrorist attack.

The plane that flew overhead that morning crashed in a field in Pennsylvania.  :sad3:

Glen

RIP Russ,Blaine,Darrell

http://brightwoodturnings.com

2014-15 TBC-- 11

FinsnFur

I'll bet every American can remember exactly what they were doing that day. As ironic as it is, I was doing construction at the time and was also on a roof top with three others Glen. But we were done tearing and deep into laying em.

We had the big DeWalt Boombox up on the roof with us. When the reports of the first one came across the radio waves, we all kinda scratched our heads wondering if the pilot was sleep walking or lost control or what.

Couple of guys unknowingly made comments about it being terrorists flying a hijacked plane.
Shortly after that the DJ cuts in and broadcasts that the other tower was hit, and it was the eeriest feeling I'd ever had in my life. Air guns ratta tating away, saws running down on the ground, couple guys jabbering.....it all came to an erupt halt as if silenced on que.
It was like time on earth had just stopped, and not a sound was heard as we all froze in our tracks and looked at each other.

Gives me goose bumps thinking about that day hearing all that.
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

alscalls

I remember......I was cutting firewood all day at my farm.....I had no cel phone at the time and one of the neighbors came home from work....heard my chain saw so he rode the 4 wheeler up and said......."Go home AL.......I aint sure whats going on but we may be at WAR......"
AL

http://alscalls.googlepages.com/alscalls

LORDDAL

I was working at the fair In York Pa we were just getting ready to take a lighting set up down to a fair in MD. we had the truck all loaded up and I was sitting in the drivers seat listening to Howard Stern on the radio my boss was getting a few items ffrom one of our big trailers when Howard made the announcement of the plane hitting the tower I yelled to my boss and he and I both couldn't believe what we were hearing it just had to be one of sterns bad jokes but now everyone was running to the catering tent where the tvs were so we did too just in time to see the second plane hit. everyone was so quiet noone could believe what we had seen finally one of the sound guys leaned up next to me and whispers hey Loki what do you think of this man. I turned to him never even gave it a second thought and said someone is going to pay brother count on it. My boss and I went on to the MD fair one the way down heard the reports of the plane hitting the pentagon and the one that crashed in PA several of my friends were afraid for me that day because they knew I was someplace in PA we got the setup done and the rest of the day was just a mix of emotions and I know that until the day I die I will always remember where I was and what I was doing on 9/11 
Charlie
there's something you better understand about me, 'cause it's important and one day your life may depend on it. I am definitely a madman with a box!

Proud member of Bills Custom Calls Pro Staff

George Ackley

I to was on a construction site, started the morning thing about Africa and what a long flight it was going to be the next day , then the news broke and i went home and watched as the building tumbled down.
I live 70 miles from NY city  and been on many single engine air plan rides over the towers and couldn't comprehend them coming down knowing just how big they are in real life.
I don't think many that haven't seen the towers truly comprehend the true size of the buildings  .  it was turely a sad day.  never made it to Africa was turned away at JFK .

2 times in my life i had to pull off the road to sit dumfounded. one was as i approached manhattan and could see the smoke rising off ground zero less then 24 hours from them coming down.
and the secant time was last March as i was driving to Texas and was 30 miles out side New Orleans on rt 59 it was funny that the sun had come up just enough that morning to allow me to see the field of tailors
35' camper trailers as far as the eye could see off the high way and for miles and miles and miles down the highway as the other 3 guys slept I found my self listening to my diesel humming and wiping the tears from my cheeks because I never really comprehended the disaster till i seen the god  knows how many trailers off
59 at day brake last March.

sad day today is , foreshore   

GOD BLESS THE USA
Lift Your Truck, Fat Girls Cant Jump

Bopeye

I too remember the day. We were scanning for heat spots in our control panels when the head of maintenance came running down the aisle yelling. I couldn't make out what he saying. Next thing I know, another boy came up and told us the news. The plant went from wide open to a trickle within minutes. Radios were turned up, people were crying and dumbfounded. I just sat there for a several hours and as we realized we had been attacked, I called a recrutier friend of mine to see about re-enlisting. Turned out I was too old and fat, but I tried.

Went home early that afternoon and picked up my 12 day old son and just held him as I watched the towers over and over. I cried. My daughter, who had just turned 4 years old the day before, had been watching me and I didn't realize it. She asked me, "Why are you crying daddy"? In that sweet, childlike innocent way.
All I could muster out was, "A war has come to our country that my children may have to fight". She still remembers my words.

It was a sad day for sure. Yank, western, Kali, Reb, just doesn't matter much when you say "American" first. Fight and bicker we might, but die for each other in times such as that, we will. That's what makes us great.

God be with us.

Foxpro Staff Infection Free

LORDDAL

Quote from: Bopeye on September 11, 2009, 09:30:31 PM

It was a sad day for sure. Yank, western, Kali, Reb, just doesn't matter much when you say "American" first. Fight and bicker we might, but die for each other in times such as that, we will. That's what makes us great.

God be with us.

Amen Brother I couldn't have said it better myself makes me proud I adopted you into the family Bopeye you done brought a tear to your bigger better lookin adopted brothers eye :biggrin: :yoyo:
there's something you better understand about me, 'cause it's important and one day your life may depend on it. I am definitely a madman with a box!

Proud member of Bills Custom Calls Pro Staff

Hawks Feather

We were having a two hour delay for a district wide teacher inservice.  At about the end of the inservice one of the cooks (we were in the Middle School cafeteria) opened the door and waved for me to come into the kitchen.  She had it on the radio and I listened for a few minutes to make sure that what I was hearing was real.  After that I went out, called a halt to the inservice, told the teachers what had just happened, asked them for a few minutes of silent prayer, and said that they could return to their buildings to check the TV coverage.  I can remember it like it was this morning.

Jerry

Bills Custom Calls

Chris and I were driving down I77 around the Dover,Ohio exit in my semi when I heard it on the CB radio some folks asking what radio station was lacal so they could hear about it.Not knowing what all the hype was cause we had just got done getting the truck loaded at the pallet shop,we turn on the fm and we hear about the first plane,we stopped at the Truck stop in Newcomerstown for some breakfast and to watch some tv and thats when I new for sure we were under attack.Cell phones all jammed such a back up of trucks where I delivered the load to that I only got 2 loads that day insted of 4.The gas stations had such long lines at them they were blocking the streets and traffic was at a stand still

What a mess we had
http://www.billscustomcalls.net

Home of the Triple Surface Pot Call

Silencer

Quotelistening to Howard Stern on the radio

was at work listening to the same thing, I'd thought it was one of his skits and he was full of bull.  After further listening and a phone call from home I couldnt believe it.  All I wanted to do is get home to my family that day.   
It was so weird not to see or hear any aircraft at all for the next day or so.