• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.

You never know what you'll find...

Started by Coulter, December 28, 2009, 07:09:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Coulter

I decided to take a stroll along the shores of Lake Erie yesterday to see if any ducks were still hanging around the area. While I didn't find much in the way of waterfowl, Baylee (my dog) and I did find a plethora of other cool things, well some of them were more gross. But anyway check it out...

How many cool calls do you guys think this piece of driftwood could make?

Here some pics for you guys that find geology interesting...a great example of erosion and a small mudslide.

I sure hope this guy made it out okay :confused:

Here is Baylee checking out a piece of cliff that is ready to fall in the next storm we encounter...

The tree is the only thing holding that cliff up by the looks of it...

Just hanging around...how much longer do you think this tree will be up there?

Here is an injured bluebill (Lesser Scaup) riding the surf. This bird was likely shot by guys in a layout boat and never recovered. They can be tough if you don't get a lethal shot on 'em...

Same bird in the waves...

Speaking of ducks - here is the 3rd of 4 decoys I found yesterday...

I believe these were used as anchors for decoys at one time...and maybe they still are. 1 gallon milk jugs filled with concrete and rebar running out of all four sides to grab the rocks on the bottom of the lake. Whoever used them leaves them there instead of dragging them back up the cliff face. They have been there for years.

I have no idea what used to be here but the bricks are from Conneaut Ohio. To the best of my knowledge there has never been any kind of housing or structure within a few miles of this spot.

Coon Tracks!!

Get out yer skinning knife...this here coon must've washed across the lake from Canada. He must have some really prime fur :wink:

Here is a duck blind made from driftwood and other shrapnel..."Shores of Lake Erie Style."

View from "inside" the blind...

The long trek back...all the way to the point in the distance. We did approximately 3.5 miles and went into two states before we were finished. This picture was taken from inside Ohio looking back into PA.

pitw

Thanks for the pics Steve.  Enjoyed them all and I is wondering why you don't just walk around the whole lake :confused:.  You could retire with what you might find :biggrin:.
I say what I think not think what I say.

alscalls

I know Right where that is!!!!!!     Did you know that turkey creek is a natural run steelhead stream and some BIG ones are caught from there as you gotta drive to PA and walk a mile back to Ohio to get there?!!  
Your making me want to go fishing bad!!

Did ya hunt the mouth of the creek?? how is the water in the streams??
AL

http://alscalls.googlepages.com/alscalls

HaMeR

Those are some nice pics Steve.

Just wondering why Baylee didn't bail into the lake & grab that duck tho!!  :confused:

My guess on the number of calls you're gonna get out of that driftwood would be>>> all of them.  :wink:

Thanks for braving the weather to bring us those nice pics!!  :yoyo: :yoyo:
Glen

RIP Russ,Blaine,Darrell

http://brightwoodturnings.com

2014-15 TBC-- 11

Bopeye

All your pics have been pretty cool. I really enjoyed the adventure and the scenery.
Foxpro Staff Infection Free

Yotehntr

Man that looks cold! LOL enjoyed the pics.  :yoyo:
Yotehntr calls... put something pretty on your lips :wink:

Hawks Feather

Bricks and a shoe.  Did you find any body parts?

Jerry

FinsnFur

Looks like Baylee found the decoy...ahem :innocentwhistle:

Cool pics. Looks like a neat way to spend an afternoon. The bricks in the concrete were cool, kinda makes ya wonder how they got there.
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

HaMeR

Well a brick layer does come to mind ya know.  :rolleye:

:laf: :laf:
Glen

RIP Russ,Blaine,Darrell

http://brightwoodturnings.com

2014-15 TBC-- 11

Bopeye

Quote from: HaMeR on December 29, 2009, 12:21:56 AM
Well a brick layer does come to mind ya know.  :rolleye:

:laf: :laf:

Jim let me say it. Let me say it. Pick me.  :laf: :laf:

It had me curious as well. I was going to google that brick company last night and see when they existed so I could put it in a time period.  :wink:

Coulter

Well the Niagara River and Detroit River are the only two things preventing me from making the loop around the entire lake. Well that and Canadian customs might frown upon it since I have no passport. Besides that I don't want to end up in Acapulco or something...I've where you're mail goes Barry.

I have trapped many beaver and muskrat from the PA portion of Turkey Creek Al. I have heard of guys fishing it closer to the mouth, but I never have personally. Never bought an OH license. The water in the streams is still open and fiishable as of Sunday. It was a kind of slow year for steelies though.

Princess Baylee barely gave that duck a second look. She never progressed into being a hunter (my fault for not training her). It's all I can do to get her to get her toes wet :shrug: She is fun to take on walks and such though. Besides that it was on a Sunday and we can't hunt ducks on Sunday in PA.

So whats the scoop on the bricks...did anybody google it yet? No body parts yet, but I'm sure that day will arrive if I keep going there. It really wasn't that cold either. Of course I was dressed in numerous layers and carrying binoculars, camera, etc. Stay moving thats the key to warmth :wink:

Steve

Bopeye

Found this much thus far. The bricks were made in the area and they have CW of Ohio which makes pillars. I wonder if that is an old company that use to also make bricks?  :shrug:

The city of Conneaut is located on an old Native American trail, later used by early westbound pioneers. The word conneaut comes from the Seneca language, and has a disputed meaning.

A Mississauga village was located at or near Conneaut, c. 1747.[4]

Conneaut is located in the northeasternmost corner of Ohio, bordering the state of Pennsylvania to the east and has 27 square miles (70 km2) within its corporate city limits. The city has been operated under a council-manager government since 1992. The current city manager is Bob Schaumleffel, Jr. It is a mixture of urban areas and rural farmland. The city has over seven miles (11 km) of shoreline along Lake Erie, with beaches, boating facilities and a healthy summer tourist trade. Transportation services Conneaut via Interstate 90, which bisects the city, along with an international shipping port and three railroads. Major industries within the city include CSP of Ohio (formerly Venture Industries), General Aluminum (automotive parts), and CW Ohio (windows and pillars). The city's historic business district and its harbor business district are not as thriving as in the past.

Conneaut was originally named "Salem", and the parts surrounding it were named "Lakeville" from 1944-1964, though these were eventually combined into what is now known as "Conneaut". People still refer to parts of Conneaut as Lakeville or Amboy.

Bopeye

Here's the old Brick Plant in Conneaut. Still can't find what was built on that shoreline though.

Bopeye

I guess we may never know exactly how the bricks got there, but here is a little something more.

In the 1890s a new Conneaut Lighthouse was built at the end of a pier. This lighthouse served until 1917, when at a cost of $125,000, a new lighthouse was built on a cement crib, located at the end of a long breakwater on the west side of the harbor. This lighthouse consisted of a unique, square two-story brick and cement edifice, with a tower rising an additional story from one corner.

In 1935, the cement lighthouse was blasted from its bedrock grip on the crib using dynamite and was replaced by a new, sleek tower costing $70,000. This modern lighthouse was nominated for inclusion on the National Register of Historic Places by the Ohio State Historic Preservation Office in 1992. The petition was reviewed by Patrick Andrews and subsequently added to the list. Regarding the lighthouse, Andrews said that “in the 1930s there was a conscious effort to represent the machine age, speed and efficiency. The style of this lighthouse is a clear attempt to look modern and to make a break from the past.”

slagmaker

cool pics!! thanks for sharing them.

It is true you never know what you will find out on a walkabout.
Don't bring shame to our sport.

He died for dipshits too.