Hog Butchering Our Way

Started by pitw, December 08, 2008, 08:10:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Carolina Coyote

What no chittlings?. :shrug: What a waste. :doh2:  :biggrin: :biggrin: cc

pitw

Quote from: Carolina Coyote on December 15, 2008, 07:49:39 AM
What no chittlings?. :shrug: What a waste. :doh2:  :biggrin: :biggrin: cc

Let's all find out what chittlings are now please?
I say what I think not think what I say.

Carolina Coyote

Chitlings are the Intestines of the Hog, washed out real clean and deep fried, Black folk down south consider them a delicacy, I have tried them (not Bad0 but not something I would want to often, but Obama may serve at the Inaugural Ball. cc

pitw

Thank's for the reply :highclap:  We do use the intestines for casing for stuffing sausage but have never heard of just cooking them. 

FinsnFur

Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

pitw

I took the bacon's off the hog's out of the brine that I made with Morton's tender quick yesterday and smoked them with apple wood.  My wife cooked some up a bit ago.  She sent Bob out for fresh egg's to eat with it and I can now tell you that is the finest bacon I have ever ate.  Simple and good, what a combination.

alscalls

AL

http://alscalls.googlepages.com/alscalls

Tikaani

I am with Al on this, I like that saw.  I use a battery operated Sawzall in the field for quartering moose, but at home that saw would be nice.

Hunt hard, die tired

John
Growing Old Ain't for Pussies.

JoeF

Excellent post, pitw. It brings back many memories. Ought to be mandatory reading for all. 

As a kid butchering was a big event. Hogs were only an immediate family thing, usually. The big gatherings came about on the days when we butchered beef. My earliest memory of using a firearm is of me and dad straddling the top of the stock racks of dad's 1948 Ford 2 ton and having dad explain to me exactly where to aim and then handing me his 22 and letting me go to town. To this day I remember 3 shots and 3 downed and dead steers. Taught a guy respect for the power of a firearm.

Every family still had a smoke house, most still used them.

Nice saw!
  I'm with the guy that uses the Sawz-All. Not as nice as what you've got but a big step up from a hand saw.

Thanks again for the post. As expensive as the butcher shop is getting these days I here of more and more people who are once again processing their own meat.l

alscalls

I use a sharp hatchet.........I do not have a saws all or a hand saw :laf: (No Kidding) Three easy swings and I can cut a deer in half right down the spine... :biggrin: If we had bigger game, or still butchered I would get another saw but for deer hatchet skills are handy to have.......in the field especially.
AL

http://alscalls.googlepages.com/alscalls

pitw

Butcher shop called and said the ham's were ready.  3 ham's for total of 122 lb and 26 lb bacon.  Can't find this at safeway.

37 lb

2nd one was bigger as this lad weigh's 210

Some different view's of it.

Bacon's they cured for me as I was a bit afraid to do them all myself for a first time with the new recipe [won't make that mistake again]