• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.
Main Menu

December crows

Started by HaMeR, December 18, 2009, 08:40:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HaMeR

:yoyo: :yoyo:  Here ya go Jimbo!! I got pics this time!!  :biggrin:

I was tucked back under that yellow brush in my hide. The FX3 remote was hanging in the little thorn tree.

I only made 3 "good" crows out of live ones but it was still fun. I was even rewarded for my patience with a prize crow.  I lost the other 2 in this mess.

Here is my prize crow.  :yoyo: :yoyo:

Here's a close-up of my prize.  :yoyo: :yoyo:
Glen

RIP Russ,Blaine,Darrell

http://brightwoodturnings.com

2014-15 TBC-- 11

Silencer

Got me all excited thinking you had a banded crow in the last pic  :eyebrow:   Thats some good thick stuff, great hide.  

Where's all yer snow ?  

WOOOOOOW..... just noticed the claws on that black bandit   :yoyo:

HaMeR

No banded crow this time Vic.  :nono:  That would be cool tho. Crow bling!!  :roflmao: :roflmao:

The snow is here now. It started around 10 last night. We have a couple inches on the ground & it's deer gun weekend here.  :yoyo:
Glen

RIP Russ,Blaine,Darrell

2014-15 TBC-- 11

builderone

pitw

HaMeR that crow would only be worth half as much for the bounty up here.  I sure don't see them things in Dedember and good shooting.
I say what I think not think what I say.

builderone

I may have to try crow hunting now the more I think of it.  :biggrin: :biggrin:

FinsnFur

"here's a close up of my prize crow"   :laf: :laf:

You should cut the feet of him and dry it up flipping the bird. :biggrin:

By the way, that dried up field grass looks like a good place to call coyotes. Of course I cant see whats around it, but you'd really have to have a keen eye to see them slinking through that stuff, especially with it being the color is.
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

HaMeR

:confused:  Is Barry the only one to notice that crow only has one leg??  :innocentwhistle:  I didn't shoot the other one off either.  :nono:  That crow came that way.  :yoyo:

That mess is all briars, weeds, swamp, stumps, limbs & trash. And it's 3-4' tall. The farmer cleared that back to the river. Sold the timber & just had them leave everything they didn't want behind. That place will break a leg if you're not real careful. I just stayed along the edge of it.  :eyebrownod:  I'll try to remember the pose on the next hunt Jim!!  :biggrin:

We now have about 3" here Vic. A far cry from everybody else. I wish them all the best in their recovery!!  :yoyo: :yoyo:
Glen

RIP Russ,Blaine,Darrell

2014-15 TBC-- 11

Silencer

First of all I couldnt wake any of the boys but I ade it out this morning at daylight in my fav crow spot.  Hit the caller, took the first bird then the flock came in.  I swung on the next bird and my gun was JAMMED !!!  1st time my 1187 ever jammed up like that.  There I was yanking the barrel off etc etc etc.  flairing them all off.  I was saying to myself if only the boys were here this wouldnt be a problem.   So I get it fixed and go to grab the one crow I did get and I find in the snow where it limped off and somehow took flight across the field.  I looked all over for that bugger and couldnt find it.  I need to totally strip that 1187 down, it was below 20 degree out and I really havent cleaned it good since duck season and I think with the cold it got gummed up.   So off to the house I go and switch up guns get a bite to eat and head back out bringing the oldest with me.  By now the wind has picked right up bad, made 2 stands with no takers so we deceide to hit another location to get some shooting in and ended up with this bugger.   

KySongDog

Get a Benelli SBE and those jamming problems will go away.   :biggrin:

Silencer

Semp, I was saying that to myself....G****D**** Remington, why didnt I get a Benelli or SX3.......
more than likely out loud !!!!

Actually its my own fault.  I've never really "stripped" it completely and have had it for a few years.  I normally just take the barrel off and give it a good going over but the action inside needs cleaning. 
I've read you really need to baby the new 1187's that way if you want them to work in the cold and not really lube them up.   

KySongDog

Just kidding, Vic.   :eyebrownod:   The 1187 is a good gun.   ;yes;

Over lubing a firearm is the cause of a lot of cold weather failures.  As far as the "get a Benelli" comment goes, I was just trying to justify the boat load of money I got invested in it.   :laf:  Mine is the SBE and not the new SBEII.  I've had it since they first came out and I can honestly say I've never had a malfunction with it, ever.  Goose pits, duck blinds, turkey hunts, squirrel, rabbit, dove and now coyotes.  It always goes bang. 

HaMeR

But you still made a couple GOOD crows out of live ones & that's our goal!!  :yoyo: :yoyo:  I've found a light misting with the spray lube RemOil works well in the cold. Or if you have an oily rag you use to wipe your guns down just go over everything with that while assembling.
Glen

RIP Russ,Blaine,Darrell

2014-15 TBC-- 11

Silencer

QuoteI was saying that to myself....G****D**** Remington, why didnt I get a Benelli or SX3.......
more than likely out loud !!!!

Actually its my own fault.  I've never really "stripped" it completely and have had it for a few years.  I normally just take the barrel off and give it a good going over but the action inside needs cleaning. 
I've read you really need to baby the new 1187's that way if you want them to work in the cold and not really lube them up.

It was operator error, I figured out last night.  I went to strip it down and clean it up good for coyote hunting this morning and found I'd never put the extension gas ring in it for low brass......   :doh2: :rolleye:  The 3.5" chambered 1187's require a extra gas ring for the lower powered shells.........