• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.

Whos states are using NON- tagging methods for deer?

Started by FinsnFur, September 30, 2017, 09:18:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

FinsnFur

I just read an article saying that our state will no longer require hunters to tag their deer harvest during deer season. :confused:
Boy that seems like it would open up a whole bunch of illegal stuff.
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

riverboss

Ky you phone in your deer and fill out you license harvest log.

Sent from my Tank Xtreme 5.0 using Tapatalk

FinsnFur

How do they keep people from lying?
How so the run cwd tests.
I feel like it removes a lot of the deer management ability for the DNR.
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers

riverboss

Jim we are so under staffed on wardens they don't even come to most poaching calls. Usually one officer per 2-3 county's.

Sent from my Tank Xtreme 5.0 using Tapatalk

Hawks Feather

Ohio requires tags so we don't qualify for your posts.  We tag it where it falls and then can call or go online to record the harvest and get the confirmation number.  You need that number to prove that you have recorded the harvest. 

I really can't imagine a state requiring NON tags since you could basically purchase a license and harvest as many as you might want.  "No sir (anyone checking), this is the first deer that I have harvested (today). Here is my license."

Jerry

FinsnFur

Thats how it always used to be here too Jerry. I cant get my head wrapped around the approach they want to take now. :confused:
I'm looking at it exactly like you are.

Dan I'm surprised at your comment. I wonder why your so understaffed. They are crawling all over here
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers

centerfire_223

SC just went back to the tagging process. We have been non-tagging, non-check in for many years and it was killing the deer population. If I am not mistaken you could kill 8 bucks in each county. Now your only allowed 2 a year if you don't buy extra tags.
Ronnie Cannon

------------->-

FinsnFur

Wow..that sounds like a clean sweep technique Ronnie :laf:
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers

tripnasty84

they started that a few years back here in west virginia. it may be convenient and a good thing for the ethical hunter, but everyone knows theres just as many unethical hunters out there that will love taking advantage of this. for instance, after you kill a buck in my county, you have to kill a doe before taking a second buck with your extra stamp. so whats stopping someone from checking a second buck in as a doe then killing a third buck? if they want to keep this idea going, i believe you should atleast take some kind of picture evidence everytime you check an animal in over the phone or internet. and still, people will find a way to beat the system.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

Okanagan

We haven't had to attach a tag to an animal in British Columbia for the past 25 years or more.  For the past 20 or more the hunting license has been a small booklet that goes into a wallet easily, with pages for tags, and this season they eliminated that.

They issued every hunter a permanent ID number, apparently the same number for fishing license and hunting, called a Wild ID number.  We no longer get hunting licenses but are supposed to have that number with us so a warden can use it to look up whether we bought a license or not. 

This year they issued separate tags as 2x2 inch squares with date notches etc. to be cut out at the time of the kill.  When checked, as I was recently, the warden uses his phone to call up your info, whether you have a license and which tags you have bought.  The phone must work via satellite because I was checked in a place with no cell service. 

nastygunz

Strict as hell about tags here, it hits the ground, tag it!

Okanagan

Quote from: nastygunz on December 01, 2017, 07:24:40 PM

They will nail you here if you have an animal down and haven't cut the tag.  A few years ago with a grandson, we had a deer down within sight of a road.  He started gutting while I cut the various notches from the tag, but I could not remember what the date of the month was.  About then grandson asked how to do some cut.  I put the tag in my pocket with all but the date notch cut and helped him gut.  Sure enough, up drives two game wardens in a pick-up.  They got out and started across the clearcut.  I walked toward them, put my hand up and said, "I get to ask the first question.  What day of the month is it?"

They gave me a written warning ticket, and also wrote it on my license. They could have fined me big time, even confiscated my vehicle, but I think because of the youngster they took it easy on me. 

FinsnFur

Quote from: nastygunz on December 01, 2017, 07:24:40 PM

Yah but you guys have to have stickers on your guns too :laf: :laf:
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers

nastygunz

Helllllllll no we dont,  that was in the state south of me thank God.

FinsnFur

Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers

JohnP

We have really good officer's here and they go above and beyond to help you out BUT you better have a tag on your deer before the pictures are taken or the gutting process is started or else.
When they come for mine they better bring theirs