• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.

It ain't much of a problem now.

Started by pitw, April 03, 2019, 09:26:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

pitw

Night before I caught Sylvester but last night this unit wanted some cat food. :biggrin:
I say what I think not think what I say.

remrogers

Was Pepe getting into your hen house? They have, IMO, one of the finest pelts of all furbearers. Wears well and was marketed under multiple trade names until the "Truth in labeling Act". Not many wanted to know they were wearing skunk.

JohnP

Skunks are a very efficient predator, grandson has lost a few hens to them.  And has probably already killed at least six since the start of spring.  We have both the striped skunk and the pygmy skunk. 

You still have snow on the ground? 
When they come for mine they better bring theirs

Hawks Feather

My grandfather always told me that if their hind feet were not solid against something (like the ground) that they couldn't spray.  That looks like a good one to give it a try on.  If it isn't true, you are far enough north that the smell won't bother me.   :innocentwhistle:

pitw

I agree that a skunk pelt is one of the nicest but I'm allowing the crows to enjoy this one. :innocentwhistle:
The snow you see came down early this am and that skunk was like 30 yds from the hen house.
Jerry I've never seen one spray while carrying it by the tail but I wouldn't maybe do it in a tux on the way to a wedding.  Skunks really do hate spraying but we all know they will.  Being slow and deliberate with some nice talking keeps them pretty cool.  I covered this one with a 10' tarp and gasses it.  Usually I drag them outta the yard in a leg hold but this one wrapped up to much on the iron post and I wasn't getting nose level with it's tail to try and get it free. :nofgr:

FinsnFur

Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

nastygunz

Skunk Skillet Stew

2 adult skunks; skinn, debone & shred
1/4 cup oil
1/4 cup Butter
2 cups celery; finely chopped
1/4 cup parsley; finely chopped
2 cloves garlic; finely minced
1 bay leaf
2 carrots; chopped
2 tbsp. flour
1 cup beef broth
1 cup dry red wine
3 tbsp. cognac
1 lb. ripe red tomatoes; peeled, seeded & chopped
Salt; to taste
freshly ground black pepper; to taste
juice of half-lemon
1/4 tsp. nutmeg
1 cup Madeira wine
(A sensory entree, not recommended for the weak-stomached)

* Save scent sacs and set aside.

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

In large skillet, brown skunk well in oil and butter; add carrots and stir until lightly browned. Sprinkle with flour. Add broth as needed when mixture starts to brown.

Stir to dissolve brown particles. Add remaining broth, red wine, cognac, tomatoes, salt and pepper.

Place in oven, cover and bake three hours.

Strain gravy, pressing as much of cooked vegetable mixture as possible through sieve. Bring strained mixture to boil. Add lemon juice, nutmeg, Madeira.

Carefully puncture scent sacs and add fluids to mixture. Simmer five minutes.

Pour sauce over skunk.

Yield: 8 Servings

Hawks Feather

Quote from: nastygunz on April 04, 2019, 11:39:27 PM

Carefully puncture scent sacs and add fluids to mixture. Simmer five minutes.

I think you can have my portion.  Just send pics, no need for the actual skunk.

FinsnFur

Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

nastygunz

Next thing you know you lads are going to tell me you never ate spring skunk cabbage?  :innocentwhistle:

Okanagan

I purt near gagged just reading the recipe and cooking instructions.  Some things just ain't meant to be.

pitw

I ain't trying no recipe that doesn't use salt. :nofgr:

JohnP

I was going to give it a try since we have an abundance of skunks out here but I changed my mind when I read 1 cup dry red wine and
3 tbsp. cognac.  I seemed such a waste of wine & cognac. So I just went out and bought a few bottles of each a couple of nice steaks for the grill and settled for that. 

5 SHOTS

Quote from: pitw on April 06, 2019, 09:33:20 AM
I ain't trying no recipe that doesn't use salt. :nofgr:

:holdon: But there is salt....and pepper.  :readthis:
sometimes I wonder....is that getting closer..... then it hits me

I had a personal conflict the other day, now I'm not speaking to myself.... I'm getting lonesome

I met the girl of my dreams, I was the man of her dreams too.....she used the term "nightmares" though.

nastygunz

Arizona is skunk heaven, 4 kinds!

Striped skunk:

Striped-Skunk

Total length: 20 â€" 31in (52.2 â€" 80cm)

Weight: 6 â€" 10lbs (2.7 â€" 4.5kg)

The Striped skunk is the most common and generally the largest, about the size of a cat. It occurs throughout Arizona. There is some variation in pattern. There is a thin white stripe on the face. The tail is slightly shorter than the body.

According to AZ Game & Fish: “These skunks are active throughout the year and do not hibernate even in northern Arizona; the males instead form communal dens with several females.”

Hooded skunk:Hooded-Skunk

Total length: 22 â€" 31in (55.8 â€" 79cm)

Weight: 6 â€" 10lbs (2.7 â€" 4.5kg)

The Hooded skunk has two phases, a white phase where the back is completely white, and a dark phase where the back is black with two white side stripes. The tail is longer than the body and very lush. It occurs in the southeast quarter of Arizona and in parts of New Mexico and Texas.

Hog-nosed skunk:

Hog-nosed

Total length: 20 â€" 36in (51.3 â€" 90cm)

Weight: 5 â€" 10lbs (2.3 â€" 4.5kg)

The Hog-nosed skunk has a large fleshy nose which it uses to grub for insects. The tail is shorter than the body. Long claws look bear-like.

It ranges throughout southeastern Arizona and follows the Mogollon Rim in a narrow band to the northwestern part of the state.

Spotted skunk:

Spotted-Skunk

remrogers

This one came out of South Dakota.

JohnP

These ones came out of Mexico, but caught in Arizona.

nastygunz

" New Americans"... They have been doing highway blockades here because we actually get quite a few who try to sneak in on the Canadian border. All the Democrats are up in arms about the highway blockage.  I had to go through one last summer and I told the border patrol guys thank you for protecting our state and country and I hope you catch every one of the son of a bitches and they were laughing and said you're very welcome sir.

JohnP

Here on the border all primary roads leading out of Mexico have BP checkpoints.  The backcountry and desert areas are continuously patrolled on foot, horseback, ATV, helicopters and/or drones.  This picture is within spitting distance of my daughters house.