• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.
Main Menu

ATale of Turkey Woes :(

Started by nastygunz, October 14, 2010, 10:42:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nastygunz

Well tomorrow is the last day of the 5 day Fall NH shotgun turkey season...I have hunted hard and come up empty handed..a combination of bad luck and timing and lucky turkeys...yesterday...a gorgeous day...I set up in a finger of hardwoods by a huge corn field...called intermittently...was mostly hoping to ambush a few roaming birds...after 4 hours I said the heck with this...i gather my gear...hit the rig...put all my stuff in it..just as I go to start the rig I look were I just came from and a nice tom is standing in the cow path looking right at me...turns and slides way  :iroll:...2 days I never even saw a turkey...today..big storm looking and heavy rain...I spot 3 toms feeding along the edge of a meadow...I cut wayyyyyy ahead of them...lay up for the ambush..never saw em again...then I saw a good flock of 11 birds in a small field...main road and houses on one side...big brushy gnarly swamp on the other and a pond on the end....I put myself into my highest state of mental alertness and said to myself "What would Jim Champion do in this situation?"....I decided after some reflection that I did NOT want to field strip my shotgun and use the barrel as a breathing tube to ford the swamp in stealth mode underwater then re-assemble it and ice a turkey :noway:...so after pondering things a bit...I just couldnt get to em...and they were to far to try and call over...so I finally went to another spot...sitting there glassing the field for birds...well remember when I said i wanted to handgun a trophy mink?...one pops out of the field edge about 20 feet from me...I watched him for 5 minutes..season isnt open for another 3 weeks  :madd:...sposed to be a rough rainy last day tomorrow...but when the going gets tough... :yoyo:

KySongDog

Sounds like you are having an adventure.  That sure beats "bang, flop" end of season.   :eyebrownod:

Our fall shotgun turkey season opens next saturday.  So far, I have not seen or heard a turkey this fall on my small farm.   :madd: