• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.

They say a bird in the hand...............

Started by KySongDog, April 22, 2009, 11:36:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

KySongDog

is worth two in the bush.

Went turkey hunting this morning (3rd time out) and heard absolutely nothing.  No gobbles anywhere remotely close to where I was.  So time for plan B.

I set up in a blind on the edge of a clover food plot and threw out a couple of decoys about 10 steps from the blind.  Waited a bit and then let loose with a few hen yelps just let the area know two hotties were feeding.  About 5-10 minutes went by and I called again.   About 15 minutes later out pops 5 jakes from the jungle that used to be my beautiful woods before the ice storm hit back in late January.

Anyways, the jakes (they were monster jakes by the way   :biggrin: ) headed straight to the decoys and began getting friendly. In Kaintuckee you are allowed two spring bearded birds.  I thought do I or don't I?  What the hail, I can hunt for a long beard later so I picked out the biggest of the monster jakes  :biggrin: and eased the barrel through the blind netting. At 10 steps, and trying not to hit my decoys, I let loose with a 3 1/2 inch no.5 hevi-shot and down he went.  The other 4 jakes jumped around and then commenced to flog the tar out of the downed bird.  They mingled around, started putting and then simultaneously gobbled several times.  They put on quite a show.  Finally they wondered off back to the jungle.

I got out of the blind and walked over to my bird.  I had aimed at the head.  And it was shredded.   ;yes;

I called the the missus and told her we were having turkey dinner tonight.   :laf:

Silencer

Dont think he was going anywheres  :laf:  Good shooting, congrats  :yoyo:  mmmmm....grilled turkey breasts...mmmMMM GOOD !!!

Coulter

Monster Jakes... :roflmao: Hope you get the big one on your next outing. Good job :yoyo:

Hidehunter

Nice Shot and I agree, I dont think he was going anywhere.
Denver                                           

Hawks Feather

I think that looks like the head and neck on a turkey BUZZARD.   :innocentwhistle:   At least you know that there won't be much shot in the turkey because it looks like it all hit his head and neck.

Jerry

pitw

Right on :yoyo:  That bird is done gobblin' for sure and now I hope you enjoy gobblin' him down.
I say what I think not think what I say.

alscalls

WTG SEMP!!! Tough season this year......I woulda done the same......Good eatin right there... :yoyo: :yoyo: :congrats: :congrats: :congrats:
AL

http://alscalls.googlepages.com/alscalls

FinsnFur

There's one in the background of the first pic lookin back at ya :laf:

Nice job too, nice neck window :biggrin:
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

nastygunz

HE DONT NEED A FOLLOW UP SHOT  :yoyo:..."neck window".... :roflmao:

iahntr

Sounds kinda like self defense to me Semp.  :biggrin:

Nice job  :congrats:
Scott

Frogman

You can't kill 'em from the recliner!!

weedwalker

Way to go Semp!! :congrats: Those jakes are good eatin too.  :yoyo:

KySongDog

Right on, Weed.  Especially them monster jakes.    :roflmao:

I went hunting again this morning and heard nary a peep.   I sure hope things improve next week.   :eyebrownod:

Hidehunter

I stopped and hooted at a couple of spots on the way to work this morning and heard 1 way off.  I havent been hearing very many at all this year.
Denver                                           

HaMeR

Way to go Semp!! You ventilated that one quite well!!  :yoyo:
Glen

RIP Russ,Blaine,Darrell

http://brightwoodturnings.com

2014-15 TBC-- 11

CCP

Good job Semp!  :yoyo:

QuoteI set up in a blind on the edge of a clover food plot

I know why you were on a food plot! I was just going through your neck of the woods last week and I don't see any way a hunter can get in the woods. Never seen so many fallen and mangled trees in my life. Maybe a few years before you guys can hunt in the woods up there. :sad:
easterncoyotes.com

ccp@finsandfur.net

KySongDog

Yep, you are right, Rich.  My woods look like a bomb went off in it.  It is a tangled mess.  No way to move around quietly.  Every tree has limbs piled around it.   And if you do sit down by a tree you can't see more than 20 yards in any direction.   :rolleye:

Frogman

Semp,

It's prolly the same over in LBL??

Jim

KySongDog

Jim

I haven't been to LBL since the storm but I am pretty sure it looks the same.  A mess.   :sad:

Our hunt next Feb should be interesting.   :nono:

Frogman

Yeah,

I have been wondering about that.  Looking forward to it already!!

Jim