• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.
Main Menu

Prairie Chickens

Started by 5 SHOTS, September 30, 2010, 04:16:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

5 SHOTS

I decided to hunt birds again this year. I haven't hunted birds for about 25 years now because I don't cook and nobody seems to want them. I finally found 6 sharptail grouse, and watched where they had landed. 2 flew way off over a big hill and 4 landed on the side. I grabbed my shotgun and went for a walk up to the area where the 4 had landed and as I got close 3 took off. I pulled up, fired, jacked a second round in, lined up on the second bird, fired, jacked a third round in and realised that I wasn't sure if I could have 3 or 4 chickens. As I brought the gun down, I saw  the fourth bird take off, and the first 2 laying there. I was a bit overjoyed when I realised that after that long, I had fired 2 shots and gotten 2 birds. I think my dad would have been proud. Sorry about the cell phone pic.

sometimes I wonder....is that getting closer..... then it hits me

I had a personal conflict the other day, now I'm not speaking to myself.... I'm getting lonesome

I met the girl of my dreams, I was the man of her dreams too.....she used the term "nightmares" though.

alscalls

AL

http://alscalls.googlepages.com/alscalls

FinsnFur

For a cell phone pic it turned out pretty good. Almost as good as your day afield :congrats:
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

pitw

Now for a cooking tutorial :eyebrow:
I say what I think not think what I say.

Bopeye

Sounds like a great time Art!!  :highclap:  When you come to the LBL I will teach you the little secrets of using a cellphone to take pics.  :alscalls:
Foxpro Staff Infection Free

Silencer

nice birds and that was some fine shootin  :yoyo:   how they taste, like pheasant or ruffed grouse ?

pitw

Quote from: Silencer on September 30, 2010, 05:02:06 PM
nice birds and that was some fine shootin  :yoyo:   how they taste, like pheasant or ruffed grouse ?

I find them to taste more like pheasant than a ruffie. :shrug:

Bopeye

I don't know about that Barry. I always thought they tasted more like a bird of some kind.  :laf:

5 SHOTS

Quote from: Silencer on September 30, 2010, 05:02:06 PMhow they taste, like pheasant or ruffed grouse ?

To be totally honest, I can't remember. Seems to me that i preferred pheasant.  :confused: :shrug:

I had a personal conflict the other day, now I'm not speaking to myself.... I'm getting lonesome

I met the girl of my dreams, I was the man of her dreams too.....she used the term "nightmares" though.

pitw

Quote from: Bopeye on September 30, 2010, 05:11:34 PM
I don't know about that Barry. I always thought they tasted more like a bird of some kind.  :laf:

Funny you mentioned that. :laf: :laf: If the buggers are in certain plants they can certainly take on a different flavor.

Bopeye

Quote from: pitw on September 30, 2010, 05:22:34 PM

Funny you mentioned that. :laf: :laf: If the buggers are in certain plants they can certainly take on a different flavor.

Are you sure you wrote that right? Is it them in certain plants or you in certain plants?  :laf:

slagmaker

Good shooting Art. Hope you find someone to cook them up for ya
Don't bring shame to our sport.

He died for dipshits too.

pitw

Quote from: Bopeye on September 30, 2010, 05:40:32 PM
Quote from: pitw on September 30, 2010, 05:22:34 PM

Are you sure you wrote that right? Is it them in certain plants or you in certain plants?  :laf:

I wrote it right :argh:.  I just happen to want to eat more when I'm the one in the plant food :innocentwhistle:

iahntr

Scott

HuntnCarve

Looks like you had a great day!  :congrats:

KySongDog

That looks like a lot of fun.  Its been a while since I went quail hunting and that sounds similar except no dogs.  Congrats on your birds.   :congrats:

vvarmitr

5 SHOTS

Thanks everyone. I think some people use dogs but I never have. I did try to get my dog to hunt with me but she was more interested in chasing them. She did reteive one, kinda sorta, she got almost back to me and it fluttered a little and she dropped it. Then she went and found the other one. Never having hunted over dogs, and her never having hunted birds, all in all I think it went pretty well.

slagmaker

Don't bring shame to our sport.

He died for dipshits too.

5 SHOTS

Quote from: slagmaker on October 01, 2010, 07:51:11 PM
So how did they taste?

I don't know.....I'm still working on courage enough to try cooking again.  :innocentwhistle:  Besides, I haven't had a chance to notify the fire department yet.  :shrug:  :biggrin: