• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.
Main Menu

deer roast

Started by bigben, October 28, 2009, 09:17:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bigben

This has got to be the best piece of speed beef I have ever ate period. 

This last weekend me and a bunch of buddies was heading upstate to a cabin for the opener for predator season.  I grabbed two deer roasts out of the freezer to get used up to make room for this years deer. 

I used a dry rub recipe that I got off the net for some pork earlier this year and I had some left over so I grabbed it for use on this deer roast. 

recipe for rub http://www.cooks.com/rec/view/0,1633,143189-246196,00.html

I rubbed the meat down about 6 hours before we cooked it.  We stuck it over a nice bed of coals on a rack for about a half hour.  a friend had brought his smoker for trout earlier during the weekend so we fired it up for the bigger of the two roasts.  one was a whole ham and the other was about 3" thick and about 8" in diameter.  the ham we stuck in the smoker and the thinner one stayed on the fire.  We layed bacon over top of both roasts and let em go till medium.  this stuff allmost tasted like prime rib.  only no fat.  I can't believe how well this stuff tasted.

pic

"If you want to know all about a man, go camping with him. Probably you think you know him already, but if you have never camped on the trail with him, you do not". Eldred Nathaniel Woodcock. Fifty Years a Hunter and Trapper.

pitw

Bigben if'n thats what you eat while hunting I'm starting to understand your size :wink:.  That looks so good I can smell it :wo:.  Sent the recipe to my wifes email so we don't lose it already and you can be sure I'm trying this one. :yoyo:.  Thank you.
Barry
I say what I think not think what I say.

bigben

never trust a skinny cook I allways say. 
"If you want to know all about a man, go camping with him. Probably you think you know him already, but if you have never camped on the trail with him, you do not". Eldred Nathaniel Woodcock. Fifty Years a Hunter and Trapper.

pitw

:roflmao:  and don't order a hamburger in a pancake house :wink:
I say what I think not think what I say.

KySongDog

OK, that does it.  Now I'm hungry again.   :biggrin:

I'll be trying that recipe, Ben.  Thanks.   :yoyo:

iahntr

Man that does look good for sure !!
Saved the recipe too. Thanks !
Scott

msmith

OH MAN that looks good! Gotta try that rub.    :yoyo:  Time to get the Big Dawg out to stick one.
Mike

Aut Vinceri Aut Mori

bigben

another thing I did and I am not sure if it made a difference or not but I got the cheapest fattiest bacon I could find.  I mean there were only a few slivers of actual meat in the bacon.  since really all the more the bacon was for was to keep the meat from drying out.  I used a whole lb between both of the roasts. 

here is where I got the idea.  his looks mighty fine also. http://www.huntingpa.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1409399&fpart=1

Carolina Coyote

Yea Big Ben, I will have to try that rub, sure does look tasty. cc

Okanagan

Golly that looks good!  You can cook for me any day!

Silvertip

Quote from: bigben on October 28, 2009, 09:17:06 AM
This has got to be the best piece of speed beef I have ever ate period. 

This last weekend me and a bunch of buddies was heading upstate to a cabin for the opener for predator season.  I grabbed two deer roasts out of the freezer to get used up to make room for this years deer. 

I used a dry rub recipe that I got off the net for some pork earlier this year and I had some left over so I grabbed it for use on this deer roast. 

recipe for rub http://www.cooks.com/rec/view/0,1633,143189-246196,00.html

I rubbed the meat down about 6 hours before we cooked it.  We stuck it over a nice bed of coals on a rack for about a half hour.  a friend had brought his smoker for trout earlier during the weekend so we fired it up for the bigger of the two roasts.  one was a whole ham and the other was about 3" thick and about 8" in diameter.  the ham we stuck in the smoker and the thinner one stayed on the fire.  We layed bacon over top of both roasts and let em go till medium.  this stuff allmost tasted like prime rib.  only no fat.  I can't believe how well this stuff tasted.

Sure sounds good,Thanks, I give it a try!
By the way, how can you go much farther upstate? When we used to go upstate, it was to the Clearfield Area and I think that's south of you!
aka: Grizz - East Tennessee

bigben

I live in southcentral pa.  the gps coordinates are where my father and I camp at when we head north.  that is some of my favorite area.  I have hunted a host of critters within a couple miles of that location.  very pretty area.