• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.
Main Menu

My Son's First Turkey

Started by cb223, May 12, 2007, 12:33:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cb223

My son Corey got his first Turkey this morning. Not to mention it was his first time out!

We got to the woods about first light. We didn't hear any at first. So I did a coyote howl, 3 or 4 of them shock gobbled. So  with the decoys set out we sat in a nearby deer (pile of logs) blind. We heard a few gobbles while they were still on the roost but as soon as they few down silence. We sat for around an hour with me calling little hoping one was coming in quiet. Well nothing showed up except for a couple of big fat coons. Time to move!

I had a feeling the turkeys weren't in a talkative mood. So we headed over to a known travel route. Set up a jake and hen decoy in the breeding position 20 yards into the field. (this has been the best setup for me the last few years, it seems to be deadly!) We sat in a deer blind at the edge of the field. Calling every 10 to 15 minutes. After about an hour we see 2 sand hill cranes 150 yards out just feeding in the field, which is a good thing because he was getting impatient gave him something to watch. 15 minutes later 3 turkeys come out into the field one of them is a nice tom strutting around. I figured the other 2 were hens. It appears they are just going to cross the field so I let out a few nice loud yelps to try and get their attention. All 3 of them stopped and looked. One of hens starts running our way. As it got closer I see it is not a hen at all, but a jake. So I tell Corey to get ready. As it passes the decoys I whisper shoot. BOOM down he go's! WOOHOO he got his first bird.

It has about 4 1/2 inch beard and not much more than nubs for spurs. It's not a bird for the record books but sure is one heck of trophy!

I not sure who is happier me or him! What an awesome morning in the woods!

Here is his Turkey and the calls used.

Corey and his turkey.

Gotta have one with dad in it.
CHAD

DirtyDog

That is way cool!!!! Congrats to both of you.  :yoyo:

iahntr

Awesome!! Congratulations Corey! (and Dad)  :yoyo: :highclap:  That's really cool, great story and pics! I agree with ya on the trophy. Ya only get your 1st one once in a lifetime. Thanks for sharin it with us.
Scott

Hawks Feather

Corey,

Way to go!  That is a great looking bird.  Enjoy.

Jerry

FinsnFur

It looks hotter then hades there, but you all got coats on  :confused:

Nice pics...absolutely  :eyebrownod:
Thanks for sharing em. Congrats to the lil guy  :yoyo:
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

KySongDog

Congrats to you and your son! Great pics and story!   :congrats:

Nothin wrong with a jake.  Sure beats going home empty handed!   :eyebrow:    :yoyo:

Todd Rahm

Very nice job and super pictures........................man you guys sure know how to tease a feller.

(spell checker doesnt work if'n I dont use it)

keekee

Hell ya dude!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Congrads!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1 :yoyo: :yoyo: :biggrin:

Brent

Nelson

Congratulations to Corey! :congrats: A great hunt and story.  I bet I know what Corey wants to do tomorrow :eyebrownod:

Nelson

Bills Custom Calls

You both have something that can never be taken away

Corey gets his first Turkey ,and you got a day in the woods with your son

Way to go  :highclap:

Bill
http://www.billscustomcalls.net

Home of the Triple Surface Pot Call

vvarmitr

Dogwood Creek

:yoyo:  :congrats: Fantastic! Now that is the way it is supposed to be. A father and son (or daughter) posing over a nice gobbler. Gotta love that. You two make an awesom pair,R.J.

CCP

I don't know how I missed reading this earlier :madd:

Congratulations :yoyo: :yoyo: Job well done you two look like a good team.
My sons name is Cory also but no e

Once again great Job Corey :highclap: :highclap: 
easterncoyotes.com

ccp@finsandfur.net