• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.

"Long Shot" Hog No.19

Started by HuntnCarve, August 18, 2015, 01:18:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HuntnCarve

I was sitting down stairs in the air conditioned family room doing some work...When a grey object outside the patio door caught my attention?  It was a grizzled grey hog out for a stroll.  I froze as he looked through the glass door, but I was already planning my assault.  Soon as he waddled out of sight, I was off for the rifle and the upper deck.
Sneaking out onto the deck I carefully peeked over the edge of the deck.  Nothing?  I scanned all the usual spots, but came up empty.  Meantime, I whispered to the wife to go look out into the front yard from the up stairs window.  Moving to the very corner of the deck I cast a glance up along the side of the house.  Only to see the hog run from under the spruce trees back towards the house.  I figured he would be hauling tail down over the hill out front?  But lo and behold!  Here he comes inching along the corner of the house right towards me!  Well, the crosshairs locked onto the top of his head all of 5 yards away...Pop!
The hog just collapsed on the tie wall.  Here's a few photos:

A big male Silverback....

Off to the fox's dinner table....

Well, it was not the kind of shot Diane would brag about in regards to distance.  But I know HaMer would give me the "thumbs up!"  :laf:   -I had the scope magnification turned all the way down to 6.5 X, and it was still blurry.  Thank goodness I did not hit the wife's flower pots!  She did give me strict instructions to remove said varmint from her flower bed or else another grizzled varmint would meet his demise?  She's such a kidder!

So there is the story of Hog No. 19 for the year.  Hope the back pastures are good to you all!

HuntnCarve
Dave

Hawks Feather

The jury is still deliberating as to weather or not to allow this to count as a legitimate kill.  That is based on the fact that 15 feet hardly seems legal, but some of us have testified that using a scope that is dialed in for 25 yards should allow for it to be counted.  I will keep working and keep you posted.

Jerry   

Okanagan

Riveting story!

Fly tying material?

FinsnFur

Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

Dale

:bowingsmilie:      don't matter where or how, dudes makin meat...  I'm jealous as all get out, I've seen very few in my travels this summer and they've all been at least 250 miles from the house...   :iroll: :iroll:
when you step out of the truck you become part of the food chain...

HaMeR

Distance don't matter.  :nono: :nono:  All that matters is that you're out there making good ones outta the live ones Dave!!  :yoyo: :yoyo:
Glen

RIP Russ,Blaine,Darrell

http://brightwoodturnings.com

2014-15 TBC-- 11

Dave

Fine looking specimen - looks like he's been feasting in the garden

JohnP

Good story Dave.  Do you ever snap any pictures of the Red coming in for a snack?
When they come for mine they better bring theirs

HuntnCarve

Thanks guys!

John, right now the vegetation is too thick to see the red fox.  But we know they are there.  We hear them barking and carrying on some nights down below.  The silver back I set out for them is gone. :laf:

HuntnCarve
Dave

centerfire_223

Close as that one was, you should have killed it with a fly swatter... :biggrin:
Ronnie Cannon

------------->-

FinsnFur

Quote from: centerfire_223 on August 20, 2015, 04:42:07 AM
Close as that one was, you should have killed it with a fly swatter... :biggrin:

:alscalls: :alscalls:
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

HuntnCarve

Don't think I would want to square off against a surly chuck with just a fly swatter. :nono:

Dale

Quote from: HuntnCarve on September 01, 2015, 03:50:26 PM
Don't think I would want to square off against a surly chuck with just a fly swatter. :nono:

ya got that right... they don't call them ground grizzly's for their cute and cuddly nature...
when you step out of the truck you become part of the food chain...

slagmaker

Way back in the day I have killed a couple whistle pigs with my trusty sling shot and some iron ore pellets. Ya got to hit them right or they just get real pissed off.
Don't bring shame to our sport.

He died for dipshits too.