• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.
Main Menu

Muzzle loader experince.

Started by trailtwister, December 01, 2015, 08:49:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

trailtwister

My brother got in with a bunch of fellows he worked with back in the early 1970's who were black powder nuts. We used to do a lot of hunting and fishing together so he kept working on me to get a muzzle loader, even to the point of borrowing a guys old 58cal. smooth bore for me to hunt with one week end in 1976. For Christmas that year my brother got me a T/C Hawkins kit rifle. I worked on that kit a very long time to get it the way I wanted it to look.

I had a tag yet to fill when ML season rolled around in 1977, I think I saved it just for ML season and I also had a doe tag. Never did harvest a deer with that Hawkins and I even took it to Canada one spring bear hunting.
As happens I kept getting older and my eyes followed suit so I just could not use open sites for shooting any longer and I didn't want to mess up the Hawkins putting a scope on it so it was put in a back corner of the safe.
I replaced it with a T/C plains rifle a Quick Release T/C scope mount with a 5.00 Weaver K4 scope I picked up at a yard sale.

Well I stopped saving tags for muzzle loader season partly because my brother got married and moved to the city and stopped hunting. I took it to the UP in 1995 for ML season which was the last time I took it hunting and never had got a deer with it.
Remington released their 700 ML, and my wife bought me a 54cal for Christmas to late to use it deer hunting. For a couple years I didn't save any tags for ML season then about 2003 I decided I was not going to use a center fire to hunt with any longer. that didn't last long after I had tag soup for 3 years.

:eyebrownod:  Al

Your not fully dressed with out a smile.

trailtwister

My desire to harvest a buck with the ML only lasted a couple of years as I decided I just did not like tag soup. Another problem I was having was getting the same components every year for that 54cal. Not so common in this area like a 50 is.
Finally Summer 2008 I was looking for sabots for the 54 and gripping to my wife about not being able once again to get the same stuff as I used last year. She said you know how to fix that don't you?
I found a real nice used Remington 50 cal and bought it. Finally after 45 years I harvested my ML buck with my Remington 50 cal ML in 2014.

Sorry site isn't letting me post pictures of the Remington's.

trailtwister

The 54 cal Remington 700 ML.

The 50 cal Remington 700 ML. I finally after 44 years shot my first buck with it.