• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.

What do you do with Raccoon pelts

Started by dougk, September 24, 2006, 01:34:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dougk

I am looking to take several raccoons this year and was wondering what are some of the things that can be done with the pelt?
Thanks
Doug

FinsnFur

Good to see ya made it Doug.

Believe it or not, coon hides are the leaders in the market as far as demand. I know a lot of trappers that will argue that point when they go to collect their fur checks, but coon hides are used more and for more....then any other fur.
They are shaved and died a lot to simulate other expensive furs in the garment industry.

If your trapping, I would pile a bunch up in your freezer, watch the market, and when you think they've reached their high, sell them to the fur dealer.
if you have any local events, rendezvous, etc that attract folks from that walk of life, you could tan a bunch and sell them there for some easy money.
I get an average of maybe 50 coon a year coming in here. When compared to the hundreds of Coyotes, Fox, and Cats, it tells me that people are pulling one that they feel is a prize for the wall, having it tanned and pawning the rest off to the fur buyer.
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com