• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.

They Are Still Around

Started by MI VHNTR, October 31, 2023, 07:05:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MI VHNTR

The big bull moose that is. From the past week.

The Second Amendment isn't about Hunting.
It's about Freedom.

Let's Go Brandon.  FJB

Hawks Feather

It still amazes me that those little legs can hold that size of an animal.

bambam

Okanagan

Quote from: Hawks Feather on November 01, 2023, 06:56:32 AMIt still amazes me that those little legs can hold that size of an animal.

The leg bones on a moose are BIG.  They just look small and thin in comparison to the big body.

MI VHNTR

Quote from: Okanagan on November 02, 2023, 07:53:42 PM
Quote from: Hawks Feather on November 01, 2023, 06:56:32 AMIt still amazes me that those little legs can hold that size of an animal.

The leg bones on a moose are BIG.  They just look small and thin in comparison to the big body.

I found a moose skeleton years ago and was amazed at the size of the leg bones. The bones were huge.

It's about Freedom.

Let's Go Brandon.  FJB

FinsnFur

How many pounds of meat would a Moose that size yield, typically?
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

MI VHNTR

A quick search shows that an adult bull moose can weigh anywhere from 1200 to 1600 pounds. No idea on the meat since they cannot be hunted here in Michigan.

It's about Freedom.

Let's Go Brandon.  FJB

Okanagan

Quote from: MI VHNTR on November 04, 2023, 06:21:09 PMA quick search shows that an adult bull moose can weigh anywhere from 1200 to 1600 pounds. No idea on the meat since they cannot be hunted here in Michigan.

Quote from: FinsnFur on November 04, 2023, 07:47:27 AMHow many pounds of meat would a Moose that size yield, typically?

Moose get bigger the farther north they are, so Alaska has much larger moose than Wyoming.

In Southern British Columbia my biggest bull went 627 lbs. at the meat cutter, skinned and trimmed and with at least 20 lbs. of meat cut off and not taken to the butcher. The meat cutter said it was huge for our area.  My second biggest bull went 612 lbs. of meat, one went I think it was 448, and a smallish 18 month old bull that my partner took to a meat cutter weighed about 225 of meat (can't recall exactly.)

My cousins in Alaska took some enormous bulls and their biggest one weighed 1120 lbs. of quartered and cut up meat to haul out in game bags.

Makin me hungry:  wish I had a chunk of moose to cook tonight.