• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.

76 elk showed up after my season closed

Started by Okanagan, January 10, 2024, 11:26:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Okanagan

Yesterday when I was talking on the phone with a landowner who had given me permission to shoot an elk on his place, 76 elk paraded single file onto his land.  My season was over, but he had promised to call the tribal hunters if the elk showed up so he did.  They came right out, asked him which direction he wanted them to shoot etc. and they killed two. A tribal police officer came with them.

I said in another thread that this permit season was not hunting, but that is too strong.  It is not like any hunting I've ever done but it is a kind of semi-urban hunting, seeking elk between houses and small fields, seeking landowner permissions, lucky timing and location, right direction to safely approach and shoot, remove animal whole without gutting, etc.

Hawks Feather

Was the landowner who gave you permission to hunt a native American, did he farm 'reservation' land and was not a Native American, or what? I guess I am just being nosey, but prefer to refer to it as having an inquiring mind.

Edit: I am sorry that you didn't get one earlier.

Okanagan

Quote from: Hawks Feather on January 10, 2024, 02:45:53 PMWas the landowner who gave you permission to hunt a native American, did he farm 'reservation' land and was not a Native American, or what? I guess I am just being nosey, but prefer to refer to it as having an inquiring mind.

Edit: I am sorry that you didn't get one earlier.

Thanks re condolence for my unfilled elk tag. :laf:  The landowner and his wife are not Indian nor is his place on or even close to Reservation land.  The Rez folks have kept buying land and expanding the Reservation but as far as I know it is at least 8 miles from his Anglo deeded land to the nearest Rez.

I think that each of the landowners who gave me permission to hunt also gave permission to the Tribal hunters as well.  The Tribe seems to have a good relationship with landowners in that area and they seem to work at keeping good relations.

One of the Native leaders in that area is a friend of mine and I was surprised at how scrupulously he follows game laws, and it seems like most of the tribal members do as well. Some of those laws are State of Washington and some are tribal seasons and bag limits, which are usually longer seasons and larger bag limits. There is always the young wild bunch, whose poaching etc. aggravates the Indian elders as much as it does me.  They have Federal tribal game wardens that are pretty strict, especially on the Native-only salt water fishing seasons.

One of the characteristics interestng to me is how often one or a few young hunters hunt for the whole tribe, especially providing meat for the elders.  I've seen that in half a dozen tribes in two countries.

FinsnFur

Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

Hawks Feather

Thanks for the information and I am glad to see that some of the young hunt for the tribe.