• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.

Elk in a nearby hayfield

Started by Okanagan, February 23, 2024, 08:45:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Okanagan

I counted 49 elk in this bunch, with three other bulls about 500 yards to the left of those in the pic.  There are also three young bulls bunched together just out of the pic to the left.

Yesterday I took my wife for a waterfront lunch at the John Wayne Marina Grill, and we were heading to our son's place three or four miles around the bay.  These elk are on a dairy farm a mile or so from salt water.

Hawks Feather

Funny how they can hide when Elk season is open.

FinsnFur

The grass is green!
Where was this takin? In Hawaii? :laf:
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

Okanagan

The picture was taken two miles or so from the edge of town and within less than a mile of some housing develoments.  It's  a shotgun or archery only area for deer season and the only elk season is a few permits through a drawing.  They give out two elk permits at a time, maybe 6 elk permits per year, just to keep them out of the houses and their landscaping.  There is one big farm with a lot of timber where the elk stay a lot. 

Temperatures are mostly in the mid-40's, colder than normal though we had weak sun for a few hours last week.  The trace of white line beyond the elk and going off the left edge of the pic is a flock of white swans.  Jagged snowy mountains 90 degrees to the left of the  camera view.  Tough place to live.  That's why John Wayne bought a bunch of it and spent a lot of time here on his yacht the Wild Goose.  We are still hoping the rest of Hollywood does not discover us!

msmith

Very cool picture. I wish we had elk around here.

Is that a multi flora rose in the foreground? Do you all have them?
Mike

Aut Vinceri Aut Mori

Okanagan

That's a Himalaya blackberry vine, an invasive species that has taken over the Pacific northwest.

I'd never heard of a multi flora rose, so we probably don't have them around here.

msmith

They sound similar. Multi Flora Rose is invasive but was brought in by NRCS or Soil Conservation back in the 60s as a natural fence.
Mike

Aut Vinceri Aut Mori