• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.
Main Menu

Recent posts

Firearms / Re: My favorite squirrel gun.
Last post by nastygunz - Yesterday at 08:12:03 PM
Single shot pellet guns should be banned their weapons of mass destruction.
Last post by FinsnFur - Yesterday at 06:34:13 PM
Do you need a big scary gun like that though? Do you need all that stuff for hunting or is that for self defense? The second amendment doesnt give you the right to own something like that.
Those should be outlawed. Only the military should have guns like that.
If they ban guns it would finally stop all these shootings.
Last post by nastygunz - Yesterday at 05:11:50 PM
That butt stock makes a huge difference, easy to swap back to pistol grip. This guy makes all kinds of accessories and they are pretty cheap. I use the scope mount that mount on the barrel.

https://buck-rail.com/
Predator Hunting / Re: Family traditions
Last post by FinsnFur - Yesterday at 01:36:42 PM
I can definitely relate to that.
Last post by FinsnFur - Yesterday at 01:20:36 PM
Yeeeeesh!  :laf:
Dont let Biden see that black scary thing :sad3:
Last post by nastygunz - Yesterday at 11:12:44 AM
Time to upgrade your Crosman  :wink: 
2X scope and butt stock.

upload a photo
The Tailgate / Today in history 5-27
Last post by remrogers - Yesterday at 10:09:42 AM
May 27
Golden Gate Bridge opens

San Francisco's Golden Gate Bridge, a stunning technological and artistic achievement, opens to the public after five years of construction. On opening day—"Pedestrian Day"—some 200,000 bridge walkers marveled at the 4,200-foot-long suspension bridge, which spans the Golden Gate Strait at the entrance to San Francisco Bay and connects San Francisco and Marin County. The next day, on May 28, the Golden Gate Bridge opened to vehicular traffic.

The concept of bridging the nearly mile-wide Golden Gate Strait was proposed as early as 1872, but it was not until the early 1920s that public opinion in San Francisco began to favor such an undertaking. In 1921, Cincinnati-born bridge engineer Joseph Strauss submitted a preliminary proposal: a combination suspension-cantilever that could be built for $27 million. Although unsightly compared with the final result, his design was affordable, and Strauss became the recognized leader of the effort to bridge the Golden Gate Strait.

During the next few years, Strauss' design evolved rapidly, thanks to the contributions of consulting engineer Leon S. Moisseiff, architect Irving F. Morrow, and others. Moisseiff's concept of a simple suspension bridge was accepted by Strauss, and Morrow, along with his wife, Gertrude, developed the Golden Gate Bridge's elegant Art Deco design. Morrow would later help choose the bridge's trademark color: "international orange," a brilliant vermilion color that resists rust and fading and suits the natural beauty of San Francisco and its picturesque sunsets. In 1929, Strauss was selected as chief engineer.

To finance the bridge, the Golden Gate Bridge and Highway District was formed in 1928, consisting of San Francisco, Marin, Sonoma, Del Norte, and parts of Mendocino and Napa counties. These counties agreed to collectively take out a large bond, which would then be paid back through bridge tolls. In November 1930, residents of the Golden Gate Bridge and Highway District voted 3-1 to put their homes, farms, and businesses up as collateral to support a $35 million bond to build Strauss' Golden Gate Bridge.

Construction began on January 5, 1933, at the depths of the Great Depression. Strauss and his workers overcame many difficulties: strong tides, frequent storms and fogs, and the problem of blasting rock 65 feet below the water to plant earthquake-proof foundations. Eleven men died during construction. On May 27, 1937, the Golden Gate Bridge was opened to great acclaim, a symbol of progress in the Bay Area during a time of economic crisis. At 4,200 feet, it was the longest bridge in the world until the completion of New York City's Verrazano-Narrows Bridge in 1964. Today, the Golden Gate Bridge remains one of the world's most recognizable architectural structures.
The Tailgate / Memorial Day List - 2024
Last post by coyote101 - Yesterday at 09:02:48 AM
I have posted this every Memorial Day since 2008, so here again is my annual tribute to my friends:

For several years I carried a small piece of paper in my wallet.  It is just a slip from a note pad, about 4 X 5 inches. It was folded twice and stuck in the back of the wallet with some other stuff. When I changed wallets last year, it was left in the old one and forgotten for a while. I dug it out a couple of days ago. This is what is on it:

Mark Gardner
Mike Steele
Jim Crump
Doug Dowd
Cheryl Sirunian
George Harrelson
Doc Halliday
Mark Bernstien
Pierre Desroches
"Augie" Wienaug
Steve Penrod
Benny Hardin

Twelve names, that's it. Twelve people who were friends and acquaintances of mine. All of them were U.S. Army aviators and all of them died in aircraft accidents. I was closer to some of them than others, but I knew them all.

Memorial Day seems like a good time to pay them a small tribute. So here goes.

Mark Gardner and Doug Dowd were killed in separate AH-1 Cobra crashes at Ft. Rucker, Alabama during aircraft qualification training. Their instructor pilots died also. I had been stationed with both of these guys in Korea in 1978-79. In fact Major Dowd was the unit commander when I left Korea.

Cheryl Sirunian was killed in February 1980 when the UH-1 Huey she was flying hit high power lines in bad weather. She and her crew were returning to Ft. Campbell, Kentucky following a MEDEVAC mission. Cheryl was the first female Army helicopter pilot to die in an aircraft accident. The rest of the crew died too.

George Harrelson was an instructor pilot at Ft. Rucker. He died in a mid-air collision while conducting night vision goggle training. His student and the crew of the other aircraft were also killed. George and I went to the Instructor Pilots' course together in 1981.

Michael "Doc" Halliday and Mark Bernstien were also instructors at Ft. Rucker. They each died during OH-58 tactical training flights with flight school students. Doc and I had been stationed together in Germany, and we were in the same unit at Ft. Rucker when he was killed.

Pierre Desroches was an MH-47 pilot with the 160th Special Operations Aviation Regiment at Ft. Campbell. He was killed, along with the rest of the crew, during a night training flight over Kentucky in 1996. Pierre and I went through S.E.R.E. training together at Ft. Bragg.

Steve Penrod and "Augie" Wienaug were killed during an NVG flight when their OH-58 fell from a formation. Four aircraft took off for Ft. Campbell, and only three arrived. The wreckage was located a day and a half later in a remote part of LBL. Some of us may have walked over that very spot during the LBL hunt this spring. 

Benny Hardin was a flight school classmate of mine. He was killed in Gander, Newfoundland just before Christmas in 1985 along with 258 other members of the 101st Airborne Division. They were returning from a U.N. peacekeeping mission in the middle east when the chartered commercial airliner they were on crashed.

Jim Crump and Mike Steele were killed in an AH-1 Cobra crash in Korea in November 1979. Mike was also a flight school classmate of mine and a good friend. We had been roommates at flight school and were stationed together in Korea. I had just returned to the U.S. about a month before Mike died. We shared the same birthday, a year apart and one of my sons is named after Mike. He was 21 years old when he was killed.

Young American men and women are making the ultimate sacrifice every day.  I live close to Ft. Campbell, and the 101st is currently deployed. It seems that every day or two another 101st soldier is killed or seriously wounded protecting us. I put this up just as a reminder to all of us that Memorial Day isn't really about furniture sales and picnics and swimming pools opening. It's a day to remember and pay tribute to those men and women, and their families, who have sacrificed so much so the rest of us can continue to live the blessed lives that we live.

My friend Mike Steele in Korea 1979

Mike's Mom, sister and some of his friends after his funeral in Bremerton WA, November 1979

Pat
Predator Hunting / Family traditions
Last post by 1snafu - Yesterday at 06:35:30 AM
Our Dad got me into hunting fox & coyotes circa; 1964. I quickly become addicted to predator hunting. Not only that, but I got to spend quality time with our dad. I took my son predator hunting a few times when he was 14. On our last hunt I could tell he had zero interest in hunting in general. I asked him on our last hunt. You aren't interested are you in hunting with me? He said, to tell you the truth. I only hunted with you. Because I felt sorry for you". I told him that's ok. I thought you might be interested in passing on the tradition. He said, he wasn't. So we never hunted together again.

He is 46 now. Todays youth are different as to their Dad's interests it seems. Seems a shame to me. How time has changed the mindset of young men today. Versus back in the old days. Where many young men wanted to be like their dad. Or at a minimum, just spend some time with dad. You know, quality time one on one.
Last post by FinsnFur - May 26, 2024, 08:10:54 PM
If your interested in sending it up here for a bit I can test it on rabbits. My rabbits are catching on to what happens in my yard and now they are staying further from the windows.
To far for the Crosman to be accurate :doh2: