• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.
Main Menu

Ohio opening day!

Started by keekee, April 25, 2007, 12:30:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

keekee

I always save the first day of Ohio season for my dad. So like every year we made plans to head out on the first day of season here. Things have been real crazy here and have not had much time to spend with him since deer season. So, I was looking forward to getting back out in the woods with him.

Season opend on Monday so Sunday night I gave him a call. We talked over all the plans and he asked me were I wanted to go. I said we should head out to the farm and hunt there, then I found out he had heard a couple birds gobble out there right before dark! So that means they roosted close by! Cool!

We get out there around 5:45 am. and as soon as I got out of the truck I could hear a bird hammering up on the ridge. We got ready and headed up that way. The bird was roosted in a good location at the head of a holler close by a nice green field, with a logging road leading right to the green field. I set him up in front of me around 10 yards or so and set the decoys out about 20 yards in the green field. I dropped back and set the camera up right behind him. The hole time this bird is on fire! Gobbling every few seconds it seems and dad is getting pumped up!

We set there for a few min and he turns and looks at me like are you going to call? I didn't have enough light to film yet so I was holding off and he was getting in his under wear in a wad! He want to get this bird dead! So as soon as I got enough light to film I started calling. This bird done every thing right followed the old logging road right to the green field! He came  in just about all the way in full strut, worked right across the field in the wide open to the decoys, and put on one heck of a show for the camera right up till dad dropped the hammer on him at 20 yards!

Great day in the woods with my dad and a memory I will always have on film to remember! And he will make the up comming turkey video as well! I think he took a liking to the video camera! And we have had allot of hunting this year  to try out the new line of Kee's Custom Turkey calls as well!

Brent

fuzz624

Nice story and pics Brent.Sounds like you both had a blast,and your dad killed a nice gobbler.Im going to have to try this turkey hunting one of thease days.

Nelson

Sounds like a great hunt!   Thanks for the story and pics.  When's your next video coming out?

Nelson 

Hawks Feather

Brent,

Congratulations on a nice bird and the hunt.  I am sure that it will be a memory, now on video, that will last a lifetime.

Jerry

KySongDog

Great story and congrats on the bird!  :highclap:  The best part to me is the video.  You now have memories to relive forever.   :yoyo:

Johnny

FinsnFur

Hey... :confused: That guy kinda looks like you  :eyebrownod:

Nice write up. Thanks for sharing it.
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

ccp2

Good job Kee, cant wait to see the video!!!

awh

WTG Kee & Kee's dad. :highclap: Great story and pics.
My views and opinions are based upon being banned from a place that has no morals or the common sense God gave to a pecker gnat. I also hate frogs and will reply to such at any given chance. Thank You.

keekee

Thanks guys! We hope to have the Turkey video out early next year. January is what I'm shooting for, but allot of it will depend on how good of a spring season we have. Its started good if it will just stay that way all will be well!

The bird weight in at 20# with a 10 1/2" beard and 1 1/8" spurs.

You guys are right though this will be something I can show my grand kids in the later years! I mean way later!

Brent

HaMeR

Now thats what opening day is all about!! Nicely done & Congrats to both!! :congrats:
Glen

RIP Russ,Blaine,Darrell

http://brightwoodturnings.com

2014-15 TBC-- 11

Red Dog

Brent;
Great story!!! Father and son,thats what it is all about.Bird is a plus.Gettin it on a video!! Now that is nice. Good luck on you getting one. :congrats:

cb223

That is way cool! Congrats!
CHAD