• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.
Main Menu

Turkey Question

Started by cb223, May 12, 2007, 01:21:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cb223

Turkeys roost in trees at night. Hens have to sit on eggs.

How does this work? Do the hens not roost when they are nesting?

If they do roost, seems like the eggs would get cold and die. After all it is coldest at night.
CHAD

KySongDog

Kee Kee is probably the resident expert here but I'll take a shot at answering your question.

The hen usually stays on the nest when incubating her eggs except when going to water and feed.  Lots depends on the weather.  Occasionally she will spend the night in a tree.  Just depends on how hot it is and what kind of pressure she is getting.

The incubation period lasts about 26 days, IIRC.

Hope this helps.

Semp

iahntr

That's what I was thinking too. When she's laying her eggs, which takes a couple of weeks roughly, she acts fairly normal. Lays about an egg a day  in the nest, covers it up, goes about her routine. Then once she lays all her eggs, and starts the incubating process, I don't think she leaves the nest long at all. I'm sure others will jump in here.
Scott

RShaw

The hen can't leave the nest for very long at all. So she stays on it night and day and leaves just to drink and eat . This is for a very short period. While she is incubating, she gives off very little scent which helps hide her.

Randy

I place as much value on learning what not to do as I do in knowing what to do.

cb223

Thanks guys.

I kinda figured as much just wasn't completly sure. The only reason I asked was this came up at work the other day and no one really knew for sure.

Chad
CHAD

keekee

Looks like they fixed you right up cb223! Good info there!

Brent