• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.
Main Menu

Catfish time is here

Started by fuzz624, April 23, 2007, 12:13:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fuzz624

OK guys,it is almost time to start catfishing again.Im going to dig out the poles and restring this week.Lets see some pics and even some stories and tips you guys have.Ill try to scan some of my old pics and get em up.I didnt get a digital camera until last year but i have some regular pics from the last few years.

awh

Me and Lil-man caught a dozen or so Thursday afternoon. Only thing is they were all out of the 100 we just put in and averaged around........6" long.  :rolleye:
BUt at least they are hitting. Now we just need to get there friends we put in last year to hit. They are big enough to put on a coat of corn meal and take a bath in some hot oil. :biggrin: Last one of them we caught was about 20"
My views and opinions are based upon being banned from a place that has no morals or the common sense God gave to a pecker gnat. I also hate frogs and will reply to such at any given chance. Thank You.

FinsnFur

Not warm enough here yet  :rolleye:
Still waiting on the bass spawn
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

Bopeye

Sorry I can't help you dude. I mostly fish for crappie, perch and bluegill. Good eating... :eyebrownod:
I would bass fish, but around here these guys act like you've crapped in their minnow bucket if you want to keep a bass.... :rolleye:
I know "Catch and release" is a good thing for bass populations, but I'm in it for the enjoyment and eating............like most things I do........ :eyebrownod: :wink:
Foxpro Staff Infection Free

fuzz624

Bop,i know what you mean.I love to eat fresh fish.I think that my favorite is bluegill.It is hard to find the big ones that make good filets,but when you find some that weigh about a pound your in for some good eating.I usually turn my bass loose.Im not a big fan of bass filets.I think they are a little grainey,and have kinda strong taste.channel and blue cats under 8 or 9lb are pretty good.I fish for the big blue and flatheads for the fun of the fight.I try to weigh them and get them back in the water.I have seen guys haul them around until they die.Then when they start to stink they just throw them in a ditch somewhere.I hate to see this happen.If you want to keep them to eat or even have mounted,more power to you.I just hate to see them go to waste.

Awh,it is good to hear you are takeing your son fishing with you.Dillon,my oldest son has been fishing and camping with me since before he was 2 years old.He is one hell of a bait catcher.He is my little fishing buddy for sure.I wish you and your little buddy the best of luck.

Jim,i usually start catfishing the local farm ponds about the 2nd week of may.Then i know when they start hitting real well.Then it is time to hit the paylakes on tournament night.

awh

Thank ya Fuzz. Cam is my shadow. He has to go everywhere I do and fishing & hunting are his fav's. We took the jeep through the mountains Sunday afternoon and every creek he wanted to stop and fish, catch crawdads, look for lizards....I think he just wanted to get in the water and play. But mom said no cause he we would get her jeep muddy? (Then I hit every mud hole in the mountain. Like it wasn't going to get muddy...LOL)
As soon as my cuz sends the pic off of his phone of last nights catch I'll post it. I was putting the lathe back together and cuz runs through the shop , grabs a beer, and I about had to smack him so he would stop. He said the bass are hitting every cast. I finished putting the part in, grabbed me a beer and my pole and took off. About the time I got to the pond he sets the hook on a 8-1/2 pound large mouth. @#$%^^& cousin!. Makes twice he has caught the big boy. But we got pics this time.  :biggrin: And they were bitting every cast till well after dark. :highclap:
My views and opinions are based upon being banned from a place that has no morals or the common sense God gave to a pecker gnat. I also hate frogs and will reply to such at any given chance. Thank You.

fuzz624

Sounds like a pretty good day awh.I have never caught a bass even close to 8 lbs.Im just not a big bass fisherman.Dont get me wrong,i like it just not as much as catfishing.The bad part is that my biggest bass was caught while catfishing.It was just over 5 lbs.I caught it right at dark on a hand sized bluegill.One of my buddies talked me into going bass fishing with him last summer.I caught a couple bass under a pound and a 7 lb. blue cat.I caught it on a Rapala shad rap.I  took this as a sign that i should just stick to the cats.I love catching those big ugly suckers.

awh

I hear ya. When Dad was alive, he would take me fishing every time he went. On those times mom went with us I can remember her catching cats every time out. She just has always had the good luck with big cats. I fished tourney's for years (Bass) and it was fun, but I would rather catch the cats like you. Much more fight and no comparison on eating. My biggest bass was a 6 pounder (Small Mouth)  that took big fish and put us in first for the tournament. Lil-Man is just going to be a better fisherman than me I guess.  :shrug:

I'll call cuz and remind him to forward that pic so I can post it.

Bopeye

I saw a 4 lb. crappie and a couple 3 lb. crappie come out of the lake my dad lives on. I do love crappie fishing there.  :biggrin:

Old man that caught them looked like he was fishing in a wooden bath tub and his pole was a cane pole...........go figure.  :eyebrownod:
Foxpro Staff Infection Free

keekee

I have not got out yet this year! I been getting the fever though!

Were you fishing at Fuzz? We will haft to get out a couple times this summer!

Brent