• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.
Main Menu

World record Catfish!

Started by FinsnFur, July 15, 2006, 10:27:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FinsnFur

:yoyo: Can you just imagine?? Wonder what that guy uses for stink bait :eyebrownod:

Photo courtesy of Suthep Kritsanavarin / US Newswire photography

Article taken from the World Wildlife Website

Chiang Khong, Thailand - Fishermen in northern Thailand have netted a fish as big as a grizzly bear, a 646-pound Mekong giant catfish, the heaviest recorded since Thai officials started keeping records in 1981. The behemoth was caught in the Mekong River and may be the largest freshwater fish ever found.

"It's amazing to think that giants like this still swim in some of the world's rivers," said Dr. Zeb Hogan, a WWF Conservation Science fellow and leader of a new World Wildlife Fund (WWF) and National Geographic Society project to identify and study all freshwater fish over 6 feet long or 200 pounds. "We've now confirmed now that this catfish is the current record holder, an astonishing find."

The fish was caught and eaten in a remote village in Thailand along the Mekong River, home to more species of giant fish than any other river. Local environmentalists and government officials negotiated to release the record-breaking animal so it could continue its spawning migration in the far north of Thailand, near the borders of Thailand, Laos, Myanmar and China - also known as the "Golden Triangle"). But the fish, an adult male, later died. The species is declining, which fishermen in the region blame on upstream dams and environmental deterioration. The specimen is the largest giant catfish ever recorded; it is listed by the Guinness Book of World Records as the largest freshwater fish.

The Mekong giant catfish is Southeast Asia's largest and rarest fish and the focus of Dr. Hogan's project along with about two-dozen other species around the world such as the giant freshwater stingray, the infamous dog-eating catfish, the dinosaur-like arapaima, and the Chinese paddlefish - all of which remain contenders for the title of the world's largest fish. Long shots for the title include caviar-producing sturgeon, goliath Amazon catfish, giant lungfish, razor-toothed gars, massive cods, and Mongolian salmon.

"I'm thrilled that we've set a new record, but we need to put this discovery in context: these giant fish are uniformly poorly studied and some are critically endangered. Some, like the Mekong giant catfish, face extinction," continued Dr. Hogan. "My study of giant freshwater fish is showing a clear and global pattern: the largest fish species are disappearing. The challenge is clear: we must find methods to protect these species and their habitats. By acting now, we can save animals like the Mekong giant catfish from extinction."

The Mekong River Basin is home to more species of massive fish than any river on Earth. It is also the most productive fishery in the world, generating $1.7 billion each year. Fish from the Mekong are the primary source of protein for the 73 million people that live along the river.
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

DirtyDog

Quote from: FinsnFur on July 15, 2006, 10:27:52 PM
:yoyo: Can you just imagine?? Wonder what that guy uses for stink bait :eyebrownod:

That is how they keep the population down in that part of the world.  :eyebrownod:

FinsnFur

Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers

Bopeye

What were they using.......ultralight rig with 4 lb test............ :innocentwhistle:
Foxpro Staff Infection Free

Hawks Feather

That fish is large enough that some of those 73 million might be missing.

Jerry

psycho

Quote from: NewDog on March 10, 2007, 05:22:47 PM
Quote from: FinsnFur on July 15, 2006, 10:27:52 PM

That is how they keep the population down in that part of the world.  :eyebrownod:

Thats what I figured..  :shck:

Ladobe

Now we understand where the term smoke "house" comes from.   Definitely a hog.

Reminds of long ago when I hunted Sturgeon along the Snake and Columbia Rivers, or their smaller cousins in San Francisco Bay.   

I'm sure I had some pictures from those days, but the ex has them... so garnered these off the Internet.

USN 1967-1971

Thou shalt keep thy religious beliefs to thyself please.  Meus

FinsnFur

Holy crap remind me to never swim in the main channel of the Mississippi again  :shck:
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers

KySongDog

Dayum!  That's a big-arsed fish!  :shck: