• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.
Main Menu

"The Orphan"..

Started by HuntnCarve, October 11, 2012, 05:13:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HuntnCarve

Awhile back I was in one of my favorite gun shops the next town over.  Perusing the used gun rack an “orphan” caught my attention.  It was a stocky little rifle, sitting there covered up by its shiny brethren on either side.  It was a Remington 700 Tactical rifle in .223 caliber.  I looked it over, and admired its heft and balance.  From all appearances, it had not been shot too hard, or abused?  The price tag was reasonable and got me thinking? But I did not walk out with it that day.  I did manage to do a little research on said firearm and liked what I had read.  Oh well, perhaps another time?
   Which brings us too yesterday?   Once again I found myself in the same gun store.  Lo and behold, the “orphan” was still clinging to the same spot in the used rifle rack.  What the heck did I have to lose?  Finding the store owner, I asked what’s the best he could do in the way of price?  I told him the rifle had been sitting there for a couple months.  He ended up knocking off a good bit on the price, and I signed the adoption papers required by the state.  LOL!
   Once home, I ran a few patches through the bore and mounted a 4-12x Swarovski I had laying around on top of it. Bore sighting it, I found it necessary to shim the scope to allow me to center the reticule, and give me uniform adjustment on the turret. â€"Already trying to be a problem child?  That accomplished I grabbed a few odd boxes of reloads and headed for the rifle range.  Using a few factory loads I had in my possession, I fired a shot at 25 yards to get it on paper.  About 4 inches high, but dead center.  A series of downward clicks on the elevation dial and I was in business. -I was patting myself on the back for handling that shimming requirement directly.  For as it stood, I would have been out of elevation adjustment in a hurry without it.
   Satisfied with the 25 yard results, I pinned a target at 100 yards and grabbed a box of reloads consisting of Federal Premium Nickel coated brass, CCI-400 primers, 52 grain Sierra HPBT Match bullets, and some Ramshot Exterminator powder.   I fired one shot and made the necessary adjustments to place the following bullet 1-1/2” high, and dead center.  Time to fire a group.  Well folks, the grin on my face said it all as I walked up and measured a three shot group that measured 0.29” center to center.  This rifle was no longer an orphan.  It now officially has a place of honor in the gun safe.  Hopefully I’ll be able to post some game photos in the future.  In the meantime, “Good shooting to all”!

HuntnCarve
Dave

FinsnFur

Nice grab Dave :yoyo:
Are going to to any Silver Back stains on the lawn from it?  :eyebrow:
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

slagmaker

Every firearm deserves a home.

good onya
Don't bring shame to our sport.

He died for dipshits too.

Hawks Feather

Dave,

That is really a worthless caliber.  Too large for some things and too small for the rest.  Let me know when you want me to come over and pick it up.  I will even give you what you paid for it to make you feel good.  I love that stock.

Jerry

weedwalker

Dave, I gotta agree with Jerry. Absolutely useless caliber. But I'll give you your money back, and, if you throw that old scope in with it that you stuck on there, I'll even give you an extra $20. :eyebrownod:

Ed

HuntnCarve

Thanks guys! 

Jim, this rifle is alittle too loud for around the house here.  I'll have to use it out in the country.  So the chucks here are somewhat safe.  :wink:

Jerry and Ed, I appreciate your concern over my harboring a "lesser" rifle.  Though your kind offers are tempting, I'll have to say "no" at this time. :laf:

I did find a bunch of reloads I had made up for testing in a .223 Handi Rifle Ultra Varminter rifle I acquired years back.  -I found that rifle alittle too finicky and erradic for my liking.  I still have it, but its days may be numbered now. LOL!  Meantime, I'll be testing those assorted reloads to see if any stand out?

Dave

Hawks Feather

Quote from: HuntnCarve on October 12, 2012, 07:03:27 AM
I did find a bunch of reloads I had made up for testing in a .223 Handi Rifle Ultra Varminter rifle I acquired years back.  -I found that rifle alittle too finicky and erradic for my liking.
Dave

Dave that is another problem that I failed to mention.  All of the .223s shoot that way.  If you take your new Remington out it will probably shoot a pattern like a shotgun.  So once again, I am willing to help you out and take it off your hands.  I know that you just said "no" so as to not have me end up with a worthless firearm.   :innocentwhistle:

Jerry

KySongDog

Quote from: HuntnCarve on October 11, 2012, 05:13:13 PM

................ and mounted a 4-12x Swarovski I had laying around on top of it.

The scopes I got laying around come from Wal Mart and say Tasco on them.    :eyebrownod:

HuntnCarve

Semp :laf:, (I'm hoping the wife isn't looking over my shoulder :whew:)  I bought that scope about 10 years back when I thought I had to have the latest and greatest.  Stuck it on a 7mm Remington Ultra Mag where I used it for deer hunting up until I sold the rifle out from under it.  It sat in a box for a few years.  Dang fine optics I have to say!  It ate at me to see it sitting in a box.   :huh: I think its found a permanent home for now on this rifle.  :wink:
Jerry, far be it for me to jeopardize our friendship by selling you a sub par rifle and scope.  :noway: So I'm going to have to humbly deny your repeated request to take it off my hands.  :wink: I alone will have to bear the pain of owning this outfit. :laf:

Dave

Hawks Feather

Dave,

At least I get and A for trying.  It is a fine rifle and I have shot both that model in .223 (2 rifles) and also .308 (3 rifles).  They were all very accurate and I do like the palm swell on the stock.  Some people don't care for it, but even with my smaller hands I like the feel of it.  Enjoy your new rifle and keep us posted on your load development.

Jerry

Carolina Coyote

Good story Dave, have fun with the orphan. cc

HuntnCarve

Thanks guys!  Ain't it funny how now I decide to finally do some reloading.  When out of no where the wife appears with a dust rag and a can of Pledge? :sad:  She said it was about time I finally took care of the matter as she refuses to touch my reloading bench???   :noway:  Oh well, I did find a veritable treasure trove of items that some how got pushed out of sight.  Jokingly I told her that she needs to keep better inventory of my reloading supplies, so as I know what I have?  If looks could kill! :eyebrow:

FinsnFur

Ya coulda ended up on the couch Dave  :laf:
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

HaMeR

Nice rig Dave!! I'm thinking in order to fully understand what that little orphaned child can do you need to send it this way. I am certain Diane will be able to wring it out for you over the next several years days & get it back to you in tip top shape with some riflings left in it!!  :biggrin: :biggrin:
Glen

RIP Russ,Blaine,Darrell

http://brightwoodturnings.com

2014-15 TBC-- 11

Hawks Feather

Glen,

I don't think it will be happening.  I called "Dibs" on that a couple of times and Dave must be one of those Republican people.  You know how they are.  What belongs to them they think they need to keep.  Maybe we need to remind Dave that "He didn't build that" and redistribute his rifle and scope.   :readthis:

Jerry

HaMeR

That is a great idea Jerry!!   :alscalls: :alscalls:

Glen

RIP Russ,Blaine,Darrell

http://brightwoodturnings.com

2014-15 TBC-- 11