• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.
Main Menu

10/22??

Started by GSD102, September 14, 2007, 02:11:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GSD102

As for a seriuos hunting weapon, how does the 10/22 grade??. Is it worth putting in my arsinal? Or is it just a pleenker?

cb223

I love mine for small game! But I would not use it for anything more.
CHAD

FinsnFur

Don't own one but I think it'd be a handy weapon for squirrel etc. You can definitely buy them reasonably enough.
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

iahntr

As far as .22's go, I think the 10/22 is a great gun. As far as it being a serious hunting weapon, I guess ya havta look at the caliber more then the gun itself. If ya do a fair amount of rabbit or squirrel huntin, then I think it'd be great. Mine doesn't get used a whole lot anymore, but I really do like the gun itself.
Scott

leehop

I have one . Appears to be an early or low end one. The trigger is horrable. Needs a new one but I'll be ****** if I'll spend 300 bucks for a dropin.  Anyone got a better idea?

Hawks Feather

There are several 10/22 models in both light and heavy barrel configuration.  There are also some medium weight aftermarket barrels that are also pretty good.  I have a couple in the safe that I got for my daughters and one that is mine.  (I used to raise canaries and would reinvest the profits in my guns - dang I miss having that money to reinvest, but not the work of keeping them.)   All of the 10/22s that I have owned or used have been fairly accurate.  My heavy barrel does a little better than the girl's rifles, but they have light barrels and have only had trigger work done on them.  There is a LOT of aftermarket products, some that are fairly cheap to some that are down right expensive, like  the Volquartsen items.  I have a few, and installed other, Volquartsen parts and they are excellent and you get what you pay for when using their parts.  I have worked on (more than a few) so if you have specific questions, let me know and I will see what I can do to answer them.

There are three replacement items that I have either bought of modified that I really like.  One is the bolt release (you can modify fairly easily),  another is the extended magazine release (you need to buy), and the recoil buffer (you need to buy).  If you are only looking to do one thing, do the bolt release - trying to get the bolt to lock open or release is usually a PAIN on a standard Ruger 10/22.

leehop,
A decent gunsmith should be able to get your trigger down  to a nice pull weight and get rid of most of the play in the trigger for $25 to $35 dollars.  Much cheaper than a full trigger assembly replacement at $231.  If you don't have access to a local gunsmith you can always consider an after market sear, hammer, and spring which will also greatly improve the trigger.  If you have taken the 10/22 action apart a couple of times you know that they are really pretty easy to work on.  If you are doing the trigger work yourself, make sure that you watch the angle that you are honing or you will have a gun that only goes bang one or empties the magazine.  Either one is not good.

cb223

Quote from: leehop on September 15, 2007, 10:54:40 AM
I have one . Appears to be an early or low end one. The trigger is horrable. Needs a new one but I'll be ****** if I'll spend 300 bucks for a dropin.  Anyone got a better idea?

Brownells has kits for sear and springs. about $30.
CHAD

Hawks Feather

Chad is correct.  #713-123-002AA is a Power Custom Ruger Sear with springs and shims.  The shims help, are a bit of a pain to install, but worth it in the end.  That sells for $29.99.  Years back Power Custom started making the shims for guns and then expanded their line.  They are pretty good quality.  Clark is another good name for replacement parts for 10/22s.  To me, not quite the quality of Volquartsen, but a very close second. 

Another item that I think helps improve accuracy, if you are using a scope, is to get a replacement receiver mount for the scope.  Get rid of the 3/8 inch base that comes from Ruger and get a more solid base.  Weaver makes one that is about $7.00 or $8.00 and Power Custom has one for $14.95.  Now if you are thinking about doing a full custom job (keeping the receiver and replacing almost everything else) then you will want to get the Volquartsen for $56.30  :innocentwhistle:   With the Weaver style base, you will need to get rings to fit since the standad "tip-off" rings will no longer fit.

Jerry

bushmaster

I'll be honest.  My 10/22 is formerly adressed as THE PIG.  I use high cap mags and a red dot with it.  Its fun to trace your fire on a rabbit or squirrel.  ONLY ON THE GROUND!!!  I killed 2 fox with it last winter but I consider the .22 to be ohhhh, whats the word.... INFERIOR, to the .17HMR.  Havent used a .22 since i got the savage 17.  If you dont own one,  Way the options before you buy a 10/22.
"Depart from evil, and do good; seek peace, and pursue it." -PSALM 34--14

Integrity of character and clarity of thought are vital to quality of life.

cb223

I do love my 17HMR but everyone needs a 10/22. And a .45 ACP and an AR and......
CHAD

duxburybuck

I have a 10/22 and use it mainly for small game, and plinking. I don't think I would use it for anything more than that. They are very fun to just go plinkin with, and cheap to shoot.

leehop,
I bought a Volquartsen 10/22 Target Hammer, and am happy with what it did for my trigger. I bought it at http://www.hawktecharms.com/ruger/10-22.htm $32.60 + shipping.

Hawks Feather

duxburybuck,

Welcome to Fins and Fur.  Glad to have you here.

Jerry

GSD102

(Cheap to shoot.) That is the best argument I've heard. :eyebrow:

Frogman

10-22s are classics.  I agree everyone should have at least one.  I had my first one when I was younger and bought 22s by the case.  Give $40.00 for it new at the local hardware store.  I shot it til the springs wore out and it would fail to feed once in a while.  I sold it to a friend for $50.00 and bought a new one for $75.00.  Ended up giving it to my son.  When he moved away from home he left it in the gun cabinet and I still use it to squirrel hunt with.  It is extremely accurate with Eley match ammo!
You can't kill 'em from the recliner!!

Omega47

I used to build a lot of custom 10/22s for people hunting squirrels up to people who dedicate their life to making only one hole in a piece of paper with as many bullets as possible, so here's my take on 10/22s:

As they come from the factory, most of them are major POS.   The factory trigger is atrocious, the barrels often have burrs and rough spots that ruin any chance of reasonable accuracy, and the receivers can vary anywhere from tight to so way out of spec the insides just rattle around, though most are usually on the loose side.  I've even bought factory new ones that had barrels that had slight bends in them.  NOTE:  In EVERY case, if I had a rifle with a factory defect, Ruger replaced the part without question - they are a great company to work with.   The problem is you may have to buy 5 rifles to find one that is worth working on.

Chamber sizes and bolt faces are the most common source of misfires.  Again, I've had bolt faces milled so poorly the .22 cases would blow out at the base.  I used to sell off the factory bolts on eBay and use ones I purchased from Brownells and machined myself to perfect spec. 

Magazines cause a lot of the reliability issues with these guns.  It doesn't hurt to have a good supply of NEW mags on hand.  Clean them often and rotate your stock.  At $15/ea, the mags aren't cheap, but you'll need at least a few spares.

You can easily spend close to $1,000 on top of the price of the gun upgrading it to make it reliable, pretty, cool, or whatever you are shooting for.   If you just want a reliable rifle that is accurate out to 100 yards, here is how you can do it -
1.  Buy a Superior Tactical trigger group ((270) 827-0604 ).  These cost only about $100 and are equal in quality to any of the PC or VQ trigger groups at 3x the cost.  This trigger group is incredibly smooth and crisp and will reduce your trigger pull by about 4lbs.
2.  Replace the stock bolt buffer with a plastic unit.  These cost anywhere from $10 down to about 50c if you know where to look.  They reduce a lot of wear and tear on the receiver.
3.  Replace the factory birch stock with a high quality plastic stock.  Drill out and Epoxy in a VQ bedding bushing ($14.95) if the stock doesn't have a metal bushing where the stock screw goes. 
4.  You don't need an expensive scope to get good accuracy with a rifle like this.   Drop on a Simmons 3-9 x 50mm scope ($39.95 at Wal-Mart) and you will have excellent light retention and superb accuracy.   
5.  Use the best ammo you can afford and stick to using only that one ammo.  Remember .22 ammo accuracy can vary tremendously by lot, regardless of what brand you buy, so you can still have bad days at the range even with your fav.  If you find a lot that shoots superbly, buy ALL of that lot number you can find and hoard it.  My favorites with 10/22s is the WOLF Match ammo, but if you don't want to spend that type of money, buy the FEDERAL .22 High Velocity bulk packs.  I strongly recommend you do not use Remington .22 ammo in 10/22s as you will have a higher percentage of feed and reliability problems.

Now for a total of less than $200, you have a tack driving 10/22 that is the equal of rifles costing lots and lots more.  Honestly, after 15 years of building 10/22s, I wouldn't spend a penny more than that on 10/22.

What's my favorite .22 rifle for hunting?   I've got a bunch of Marlin 880SQ bolt action rifles with tripods and 6-24 x 40mm scopes that will out shoot any Ruger 1022 any day of the week.   They are tack drivers right out of the box without any modifications at all.   Just add a scope and a tripod and you are in business.

I kind of wandered, so PM me if you have any questions.

Varmitdave

I have shot them all.  22lr---22 mag----17m2---17hmr.   The 17hmr wins my vote.  Mine is a CZ heavy barrel wood stock and it is a tack driver.  I use it when i am hunting the woods.  Just my 2 cents worth.

David