• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.
Main Menu

.22 Hornet for yotes

Started by Star1pup, February 19, 2008, 06:32:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Star1pup

I bought a CZ in .22 Hornet and a buddy tells me it's not enough gun for coyotes.  In my area of Ohio a shot beyond 100 yards is very unlikely and my new rifle will put 4 slugs of 45gr into a group the size of a quarter at 100 yards.  This is from a rest, of course.  I think it's plenty of gun for where I hunt.  Any opinions?

Mallardsr

Yeah, yotes are tough, probably need to up grade that to a .338 or .375 HH.  :roflmao:

Mallardsr

Oh yeah, Welcome to the site! Go shoot a yote with your .22 hornet and tell us how it came out! Pics please! RP

coyotehunter_1

Hey Bill,

Use a Hornet for coyotes?  Being the good guy I am...  I'll be more than glad to save you a lot of time and worry.  Just send that little CZ to Tennessee and I will be very happy to field test it for you.  :wink: :biggrin:

Seriously,  for what it's worth, here's my opinion....
The little 22 Hornet is not a big boomer and over the years has consequently fallen out of the lime light. That said, with today's choice of cartridges, it is not the preferred coyote killer but it is capable of taking coyote sized game at 100 yards. Using the right bullet and shot placement are very critical factors. I would recommend using the stoutest bullet design available and try to hold shots to 100 yards or less. Be prepared to get a runner from time to time but that can happen even with more powerful cartridges.

Good luck, you have a fine rifle there !  :biggrin:  :highclap:
Please visit our ol' buddies over at: http://www.easterncoyotes.com

Born and raised in the southern highlands of Appalachia, I'm just an ol' country boy who enjoys calling coyotes... nothing more, nothing less.

kyfuzzyface

I hunt mostly with a 22/250 but have a older Savage 340E in 22 hornet I usually shoot the 45 grain.
I have taken more that one coyote with it.
I wouldn't want to be the Coyote !!

Fuzzy

keekee

Same here, I have TC 22 Hornet. I use it more for Fox than anything. But it will get the job done on a Coyote at under a hundred yards with good shot placement. I have killed several that came in while Fox calling with it. But if I was targeting Coyotes, the 22-250 or .223 would get the call. But that 22 Hornet is one awesome fox round!

Brent

Star1pup

Basically, I bought the Hornet to serve as a coyote, groundhog & fox round.  I realize that there seldon is a "do everything" gun, but I feel that if I choose my shots, I can kill all three of my quarrry.  Where I hunt, I think 100 yards is about as far as you can shoot anyhow.  That all said, I bought the Hornet, my gun fund is empty so I'll live with it regardless.  :eyebrownod:

kyfuzzyface

I don't think you will reget buying the Hornet
They are fun to shoot.
Enjoy
Kyfuzzyface
Fuzzy

FOsteology

My youngest son kills WT deer, hogs, and Rams with his .22 Hornet. Think it'll do just fine on coyotes!

Fireball221

Always lot of opinions on whether or not a gun is enough or not enough but the plain and simple truth is that we all have our favorites, I own alot of Favorites and have put many coyotes down with it even at ranges of 250 yards but you have to know your ammo and your ability and of course shot placement is everything.  I have had coyotes with well placed shots run from all the small calibers, it happens.  If the hornet weren't enough then why was it the "Poachers" gun of choice way back when? I'll tell you, its because it could take down deer with great ease with proper shot placement and very little muzzle blast.  But that's just my .02 cents worth and I hate even mentioning Poaching because it's bad but that is the truth.  Have fun with your Hornet! :yoyo:

yotefever

I shoot a Contender in 22 hornet for silhouette competition and really like shooting it. It's also very inexpensive to reload.
I took it hunting a few times but never had an chance to shoot a critter.
My  barrel likes the Sierra 53g flat base bullets using H4227.

Good hunting!

Mike
http://www.whitcombministries.org/
http://www.answersingenesis.org/
"My Jeep won a war...Your Honda mows my yard !"

Silvertip

I use the 22 Hornet in my Brush Gun, a Savage 24F over/under, 22 Hornet/ 12ga 3" Mag, with Red Dot Sight. It works very well for Eastern Hunting.
I prefer a Hornady 45gr. Hornet Spire Point Bullet over a load of Hodgdon Lil'gun Powder but the Remington Factory Hollow Points also work well on Yotes under 100 yds.
aka: Grizz - East Tennessee

CCP

Silvertip, I used that same gun combo for a few years. It was a bear to tote around :whew:

I like the Hornet it is a good accurate round. Killed several coyotes and turkey's with it. I used the 45gr bee bullets in mine.
easterncoyotes.com

ccp@finsandfur.net

leehop

I have 2 .22 Hornets, the best being a Win. Mod 43.  I use 45gr. HP's and SP's in it for ground squirrels out past 100yds. and it shoots as if it had a built-in lasser.  A standing Coyote at 125yds. is "duck soup".  It wears a Bushnel 3-9X40 scope which doesn't hurt shooting.

Star1pup

I haven't shot a critter yet with my new CZ 527, but it puts the bullets alomost touching at 100 yards.  I feel that from a rest I can put a bullet where it will do plenty of good, or bad for whatever critter is on the receiving end. :wink:

coyotehunter_1

Quote... it puts the bullets alomost touching at 100 yards.

Dang it, pup...  I sure hate to hear that the ol' chunk of scrap iron ain't shooting good.  :innocentwhistle:

Yep, ya' better send it to Tennessee...  :laf:  :biggrin:

Seriously,
You got a good one there.  :highclap: 

Born and raised in the southern highlands of Appalachia, I'm just an ol' country boy who enjoys calling coyotes... nothing more, nothing less.

Star1pup

Quote from: coyotehunter_1 on March 15, 2008, 08:55:27 AM
Quote... it puts the bullets alomost touching at 100 yards.

Dang it, pup...  I sure hate to hear that the ol' chunk of scrap iron ain't shooting good.  :innocentwhistle:

Yep, ya' better send it to Tennessee...  :laf:  :biggrin:

Only if I come with it, and of course, bring it back home with me after we eliminate some of your nasty critters. :eyebrownod:

Seriously,
You got a good one there.  :highclap: 

coyotehunter_1

"Only if I come with it, and...."

Bill,
You are welcome anytime....  I'm about 40 miles west of Knoxville.

bootmud

I also have a Hornet, mine is a Ruger.  I use it as my primary fox gun.  It's great for foxes and coons but I haven't taken a coyote with it yet.  If I'm only coyote hunting a use a .204 but if I'm expecting a fox, coon, or coyote I carry the Hornet.  The Hornet is my go to gun and If I could only use one gun for all the Pa critters it would be my #1 choice.

I think you made a great choice. :wink:

bootmud
www.huntafp.org
www.kettlecreekcalls.com

Star1pup

Now, I just need to work out a good hand load.  The factory loads are very accurate, but I like to load my own.  So far I'm considering W-296 pushing a 45 gr. soft point, because the factory loads are Winchester.