• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.

Ladner Yellow Blackmouth Cur pups

Started by possumal, February 12, 2008, 09:15:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

weedwalker

Thanks a LOT JD :sneer:

For those of you wonderin', it appears that my pup has some stopped up anal glands. The vet said he needed an anal massage at the 4 o'clock and the 8 o'clock position of the,.... ugh,..well,.... the opening. :puke: The vet said you'll know when your done by the heavy, musky smell that will come out when they open back up. :puke: Being the concerned pet owner that I am, I immediately told my wife where the rubber gloves were and what to do. :eyebrow:

Now that I think about it, this would be a good time for Possumal to step up to the plate for some service after the sale. :biggrin:

possumal

Weedwalker Ed:  Service after the sale, my prehensile tailed ass!  It sounds to me like you have blamed one of those silent, viiolent ones you are so good at on that poor little male pup.   :nofgr: on you.  Besides, you are more than qualified to do the massage if it is really needed on the pup.  Its that same move you make when you get up every morning and head towards the john!  :roflmao: :roflmao:
Al Prather
Foxpro Field Staff

HaMeR

Glen

RIP Russ,Blaine,Darrell

http://brightwoodturnings.com

2014-15 TBC-- 11

canine

Silencer

:roflmao:

Alot of times when a pup/dog gets scaret or nervous they'll open up and release on their own.

You cant get that smell off your clothes if it gets on ya  :nono:

vvarmitr

:hahaha:  :hahaha:  :hahaha: WW    :roflmao:  :roflmao:  :roflmao:

Don the gloves there Ed.  You want that pup to bond to you.  :wink:

outdoorgirl

Looks like you got some great looking pups there!

canine

Well, first off the wife and I are back on speaking terms  :innocentwhistle:  :biggrin:

And, "Buck" made it home sunday afternoon  :yoyo:  The kids love him! He sure is a little cutie..Can't wait till he gets big enough to start workin him on coyotes!!  I'll try and get a pic posted of him, I'll see if the wife will hold him for me  :wo:  :eyebrow:  :roflmao:

JD

possumal

J.D.:  He is old enough now to start working him.  That is advice from Cal Taylor, Merv Griswold, and Murphy Love. Let them fight a fresh coyote hide about once a week even when they are 6 to 10 weeks old and see if they will trail a drag several times a week.  Teach them basic obedience and get them bonded to you (Get those gloves like Vic suggested to Weedwalker Ed), and by the time he is 7 months or so old, you can introduce him to Wiley in the field.  Good idea to break them in to gunfire gradually as they are growing up, 22 blanks to start, maybe even a cap pistol, and gradually work up to a higher caliber, all the time associating the sound with something good like romping and playing or getting a reward.  Jerry Hunsley showed me a video clip of his great dog, Wiley, when he was working him on his first coyote, and it was fascinating stuff.  I have the two males I kept already fighting a coyote hide, and could hardly get the thing away from them.  They bit that thing and those sharp little teeth would get hung up in the fur and they'd growl and bark at it.  I have no doubt they will both be double D doozies.   :biggrin: :yoyo:
Al Prather
Foxpro Field Staff

3 Toes

possumal

Just wanted to share with you guys about an extra nice young guy I just met and sold a pup to.  His name is Jason Hudson from Auburn, Ky., and he is a trapper and hunter.  He wants the pup to make a squirrel dog, and from what I have seen, all that takes is getting him out into squirrels and shoot a couple around him and it will be a done deal.  The male he bought is smart as can be, and has bonded to him already something fierce.  What a super nice fellow old "Hud" is, and he heard about my pups on Foothills Hunting Dogs forum.  He has invited me down to hunt with him, and I intend to do just that.  He told me he had never hunted with a true live marsupial before, but had always wanted to  :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao:. I guess you can tell I kind of like old Hud.  I'll predict right up front that he'll have a super squirrel dog and it won't be long in happening.
Al Prather
Foxpro Field Staff

Bopeye

Quote from: possumal on April 19, 2008, 10:28:51 PM
He told me he had never hunted with a true live marsupial before, but had always wanted to  :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao:. I guess you can tell I kind of like old Hud. 

:laugh2: :laugh2: :laugh3: :yahoo: ;yes;  That was hilarious!!! Got me to hurting all over again......... :eyebrownod:

Don't ya love it when ya just hit it off with someone...........makes your day....... :congrats:
Foxpro Staff Infection Free

possumal

Yeah Bop, you got that right.  I think this fellow has the makings of a taller version of you.  He is funny as hell, loves cur pups and dogs, and could be an absolute big old boy as he gets older.  He has an eight year old boy who loves that pup, and will be a big factor in training him.  Now if I can just get old Hud involved with all us nuts here on FnF, and get him to develop his own version of "BITE Me", I'll be cooking tender possum!! :eyebrow: :laf:
Al Prather
Foxpro Field Staff

Bopeye

:roflmao: :roflmao:

Best wishes and luck in your endeavors with "Ol' Hud"........ :eyebrownod:

Another me though....... :shck: Step on his neck now before he starts flopping....... :laf:
Foxpro Staff Infection Free

ckbailey

Awesome pictures and great lookin' dogs.   I'm new to this site, but am an avid hunter/fisherman/BMC lover.   Just lost my 11 year old female - got her from a guy named Paul Stull in Maryland, but she was definitely Ladner bred - that's all the papers showed in her background was Ladner.  We have 4 other dogs - cur/hound crosses, but none with the brains that BMC had.

Thanks for the memories - I am jealous of you guys who got pups! Enjoy!   They're the best family member you'll have.  Smartest dog I ever had, and what I'll go back to once the herd thins.

Colin

possum - let me know if you breed in the future. Seems like you had good healthy pups with all shots, and care taken for them.  All the dogs I've had, the best ones have always been messed with a bunch - even if it's just a kid playing with them every day.

possumal

Hi Colin:  Thanks for the kind remarks.  I agree that they are about the smartest dogs I have had anything to do with.  They sure have a lot of grit too.  I plan on breeding "Possum Al's Ladner Sue" again if she comes in about the same time next year. A lot of people like pups to be born in spring, but I like them born in late winter like these were.  That makes them old enough to mess with a lot the next fall.  Old Weedwalker's little male is already up to over 20 lbs., and he is too smart, according to Ed.  He brings him his leash and all kinds of cool tricks.  Next thing you know Ed will have him opening him a beer and stirring up the chili on the stove (lol). I am real interested to watch the progress of Brent and J.D.'s two pups, as I know they'll get the best chance to be something with those two rascals.  Stay in touch with the forum, and any litters I have will be announced on here.  Also, I intend to post my personal progress training both the mama and the one male pup I kept.  I know that all involved will keep us posted about their pups too.
Al Prather
Foxpro Field Staff

keekee

Ol Dixie is doing well Al! Keeps me on my toes for sure. I cant get over how these dogs bond with there owners. She has a hard head streak for sure though, may just be the pup in her yet.

I been working her every couple days with the coyote hide, she has got now to were she She's me get the hide and she is hell bent to get out of the pin...lol

She has been riding on some ADC jobs with me some, and it dint seem to matter what I got in the traps she is hell bent on getting right in the mix! Got her broke pretty good with shooting over her. Put down allot of ground hogs the last couple weeks and a bunch of coons. Had a big ol bore last week, around 20 plus pounds. After I shot him she drug him around the yard for ever. And as soon as the gun goes off she is all over what ever  shoot...lol

Also put her face to face with her first live coyote this week. I kept her on the lead just out of  his reach in the trap. I let her play for 30 min or so then put him down for her. She was all over him when he hit the ground!

I will see if I can get some pic's in the next few days.

Brent

possumal

Hey Brent: I told you going in that little hussy was the sharpest crayon in the box.  She and the male J.D. got were the first of the litter to figure out how to climb out of the temporary pen my soninlaw had setup for mama and the pups. Hell, I had to go to Southern States and buy 24" high chicken wire and install it around the top to keep those two from climbing up and through the bigger sections of the fence my soninlaw used.  The rest of the litter was trying to copy what those two varmints did, but I got it fixed too soon for them. The mama , Possum Al"s Ladner Sue, had that stubborn streak but she is more obedient now than the daddy, "L. H. Cronk". You have a big advantage taking her on the trap line and to the field for your other ADC work, as it is bound to speed up her overall development.  I'll bet right now that you'll have a full fledged coyote decoy dog on your hands as well as a great tracking dog by this coming fall.  From what Mr. Ladner told me, and it was backed up by Cal Taylor, Murphy Love, Merv Griswold, and others, their number one goal in life is to bond with their owner. The only other goal is to hunt.  Not a bad combination. I have to travel 35 miles to my grandson's place to get my pup and the mama, which makes it hard to get them out enough. I'll get it done though if I can keep enough gas in my tank.  My grandson, Josh, raises and trains chocolate labs, and he is helping a lot with their basic training. My soninlaw already had Sue trained pretty well in basic obedience.  My biggest thing with her is getting her out with some coyotes, preferably where there aren't many squirrels.  She will climb a tree 7 or 8 feet trying to get a squirrel she put up there, and then walk on her back feet watching him up there and just literally pouring that clear chop mouth.  Mr. Ladner would be tickled to see her do that, and would tell her "Speak to 'em" Sue girl, "Speak to them".  She has never been trained to do that, but it is as natural as breathing air. I believe the first time a big coyote comes in to the call and sees her or vice versa, the interaction is going to start, as she has plenty of want to and plenty of guts.  Be sure to keep us all posted on Dixie and J.D.'s pup.
Al Prather
Foxpro Field Staff

vvarmitr

Wow Brent! Getting your pup into that much game is awesome!  :highclap:  Dixie is going to be so much further ahead because of it.  :biggrin:

That hard headiness could be a learned trait.  Musta got it off the wife.  :innocentwhistle:
:laf:

LORDDAL

wow some nice lookin pups and here I am stuck with an ole black Lab who is afraid of the water guess its a good thing for him I dont duck hunt  :roflmao:
there's something you better understand about me, 'cause it's important and one day your life may depend on it. I am definitely a madman with a box!

Proud member of Bills Custom Calls Pro Staff