• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.
Main Menu

Seems a Bit Early

Started by Bills Custom Calls, March 08, 2011, 05:49:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bills Custom Calls

I had to take a road trip for work this morning I left the shop about 6:30 as the daylight began to brighten up the fields along the roadway.I spotted a small flock of turkey about 60 yards off the road I wasn't on a busy road so I slowed down a bit so I had a better chance to watch them,as I topped a little knob in the road there stood a really nice gobbler with his neck all stretched out then he went int to a full strut.He certainly had the attention of one of the hens off in the distance.

Now I don't know a whole lot about turkey's but I thought the breeding season was more through April and May or is this the older turkey's getting things out of the way and it will settle down a bit then wind back up later in the spring with the younger ones
http://www.billscustomcalls.net

Home of the Triple Surface Pot Call

kyfuzzyface

Bill, they been gobblin and strutin around here for a month or so !!
Its best if most of the hens are bred before season ever opens. This ensures a good (better) hatch for the following year.
Fuzzy

HaMeR

That old boy was more than likely re-inforcing the pecking order around those hens. Can't see why a hen wouldn't be ready this early tho.
Glen

RIP Russ,Blaine,Darrell

http://brightwoodturnings.com

2014-15 TBC-- 11

Biscuit

As fuzzy said they have been doing around here for awhile. I dont know about ensuring a good hatch being bred early but it does make for a easy hunt when the hens are all bred up and ol boss tom is out there by himself looking for a girlfriend. :eyebrow:

msmith

Watched a gobbler in strut then breed a hen this afternoon. It is a bit early here but I was expecting to start hearing some gobbles in the near future but not breeding yet.
Mike

Aut Vinceri Aut Mori

lacie23

I can't wait for spring gobbler season !!

markTNhunter

they were struttin an gobblin like crazy around here this past week still 2 weeks till seson opens :madd: its killn me cant wait  :laf: