• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.

Registry editor/cleaner

Started by KySongDog, January 26, 2009, 12:43:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

KySongDog

This is not a forum issue but I'm feelin' the need to clean out my Windows registry.  Might speed things up a bit.

Any recommendations on a good registry cleaner?   I know if I screw up the registry I am screwed so I need some expert advice here.   :biggrin:

Thanks.

cathryn

have you ever ran the disk defragmentation thats built into windows? i the first time i ran it the difference in the speed of my computer was amazing.
now i run it regularly and my computer is much faster.

I'm on dial up so any little bit helps.

Ive never ran a registry cleaner cause i was kinda afraid id mess something up in my computer.
if you find a good program to run for registry clean up, please post it.

Silencer

I use ccleaner, it does other things as well as clean up the registry and its free.
www.ccleaner.com

FinsnFur

The best one I've seen is UniBlue.
No matter how good of a registry cleaner you get, they can still render your machine useless in short order.

The biggest problem people have when doing this is, they can't identify the keys the cleaner wants to remove and what program they go to. Therefore they end up whacking something important.

backup your registry, backup your registry, backup your registry  :wink:

Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

KySongDog

Thanks for the advice all.   I use CCleaner already and occasionally I'll do the disk defrag thingy.   I know I'm treading in to dangerous waters with the registry but there has got to be a gob of junk in there.   I switched to McAfee from Norton and can't tell a bunch of difference.  I was hoping things would speed up a bunch.

I'll give Uniblue a look.  Thanks.

FinsnFur

If you want to speed up your computer, you did the right thing by getting rid of McAfee, but then you messed up again when you went and got Norton. :laf:

Norton and McAfee out of all antivirus software available anywhere are the to largest CPU hogs out there :eyebrownod:
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

cathryn

Nortons was slowing my computer down bad and the computer geek i go to told me to uninstall Nortons and install AVG Free off the internet and i did and ive really noticed a ppick up in the speed that my computer loads things now.

im on dial up and the difference was immediately noticeable.

if youre on dial up be prepard for the AVG downlod to take  while. thats the only negative thing i can say about the program. theres a free version and you can upgrade if youd like.