• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.

"The irony of it all"...

Started by HuntnCarve, May 30, 2011, 12:22:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HuntnCarve

(Above) Note the damage along the back of the shed from his hog's excavations.

PART ONE:
   Flicking through the channels on the TV yesterday afternoon I found a “Caddy Shack” rerun playing.  Even though I had seen it several times, I got hooked into watching it.  Nursing a bad cold, all I wanted to do was sit there and relax.  It was not to be!  A loud “thunk” on the patio glass door startled me!  Expecting the aftermath to be a bird lying dead on the concrete, I could not believe my eyes!  For there stood a big russet colored hog peering in!  Whether he mistook the reflection in the glass as an adversary, or just a scenic walk way?  He was obviously not getting inside.  Looking back, perhaps he had seen the “gopher” on the tube?  Unfortunately, I was not in the mood to share the couch with a groundhog!  Anyway, his plans foiled, he ambled over towards my shed and into the hostas.
   It took me but a few seconds to hobble up the stairs and hunt down the Mossberg.  Slipping out the upstairs deck door, I eased my way over towards the far railing.  Peering between the deck and the bottom rail, it took me a few seconds to locate the hog.  I quickly cranked the scope down from 9X to around 6x, and tried to find him in the scope.  Just as I was about to squeeze off a round, he bolted forward.  I whistled softly, and he paused, then started moving out again.  Another whistle halted him, but he knew something was amiss?  Just as I got the crosshairs on his ear and started pressing the trigger he wheeled around.  At the shot, he kicked it into high gear and made a beeline to the neighbors shed. Dang it!  I missed him!  Just to be sure I went down and checked out the path he took.  No blood, hair or hog!  Oh well, I’m sure HaMer has missed a few…Maybe not at 15 feet? LOL!
PART TWO:
   I woke up early this morning, still suffering the remnants of a persistent cold, and the shame of missing an easy hog the day before.  Grabbing a cup of coffee, I trekked my way down stairs to open the patio curtains.  A casual glance over towards the neighbors shed proved to be beneficial.  For lo and behold, an egg shaped head was peeking out from under the corner!  I quickly dashed up the stairs, grabbed the Mossberg, and slunk out onto the deck.  Easing over to the gas grill, I was able to rest the rifle between it, and the open casement window.  The hog had retreated back into the hole, but I had a hunch he would be right back out.  The shot angle was perfect, with a large stump as a safe back drop behind the shot.  Things were looking pretty good!  They got even better when the hog stuck his head out the hole.  At first in hog fashion, he offered only a fraction of a target.  But this time I was patient.  Waiting a full two minutes for him to decide whether to commit or not, I played around with the power ring on the scope.  About the time I decided to turn it back all the way back up, the hog inched out a half inch past the back of his ear.  “Hello Mr. Gopher” I whispered to myself.  Placing the crosshairs right on his ear, I squeezed off a CB short.  “Kerplop”!  The hog collapsed, then rolled to his side.  A few death kicks, and he tumbled down the little bank out of sight.  I knew the shot was good.  Did not even reload.
Gathering up my back up pistol and camera, I strolled on over to assess the damage.  The hog lay a few feet from his den hole.  The CB had done its job on the chuck, and restored my honor.  So here he is, a nice russet male.  And ”Hog No.5” for the season.  "Good hunting!"

HuntnCarve
Dave

Tikaani

"I smell varmint poontang. And the only good varmint poontang is dead varmint poontang, I think"    Carl (Bill Murray)

Good write up Dave, always enjoy the reading.
John
Growing Old Ain't for Pussies.

FOsteology

In the immortal words of Jean Paul Sartre, 'Au revoir, gopher'.  :biggrin:

HaMeR

Great account of the last 2 days events Dave!!  :yoyo: :yoyo:

Yes those buggers can be destructive with those sharp claws & powerful limbs. So every dead groundhog is a good groundhog!!  :yoyo: :yoyo:

I think I need to start looking for old movies before I go out looking for hogs here when the Farmers get the hay baled.  :laf: :laf:

BTW-- I have missed at 15 FEET before Dave. Just never on one that big.  :shrug:

I have a miss here on video too.  :biggrin: :yoyo:
Glen

RIP Russ,Blaine,Darrell

http://brightwoodturnings.com

2014-15 TBC-- 11