• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.
Main Menu

More Carved Walnut...

Started by HuntnCarve, July 27, 2016, 07:19:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

HuntnCarve

Here's a look at the progress of another Walnut grunt call I finished up. 

Thanks for looking!

HuntnCarve
Dave

Hawks Feather

Dave,

So this is sort of like Bonsai in the Karate Kid - you just cut away everything that doesn't look like a buck.  Right?

Jerry

HuntnCarve

Now you know my secret Jerry. :laf: 

Dave

Okanagan

With hands to do such precise delicate work, you should be a brain surgeon!

coyote101

That is absolutely stunning.

Pat
NRA Life Member

"On the plains of hesitation bleach the bones of countless millions who, at the dawn of decision, sat down to wait, and waiting died." - Sam Ewing

FinsnFur

Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

Dave

Very cool to see it posted like this.  I thought you just stamp em out   :wink:

FinsnFur

They are so detailed it's tough to believe isnt it Dave. The man has got a gift, thats for sure. :eyebrownod:
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers

Hawks Feather

Hey Dave,

Could you make me a really LARGE call with a deer on it like that?  Say something like 12 or so feet long.  I think it would be an excellent decoy to put out to attract other deer.  Then again they might be scared of seeing one that looks better than they do.

Jerry

HuntnCarve

Jerry, you could hide inside the barrel of the call.  Use it like a blind.  I'd need to use a trunk of a Redwood tree.  Got any of them growing out your way? :laf:  Might need some help turning it too.  Maybe Jim could assist there? :wink:

Dave

FinsnFur

Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers

Hawks Feather

There are actually some native trees up in Groll Woods just north of here.  Not really Redwood size, but decent size.  I will do some checking.

Jerry

HuntnCarve

Being that it is North of you, we can send Jim with his Ford to haul a chunk back.  :laf:

Hawks Feather

Quote from: HuntnCarve on August 02, 2016, 06:17:24 AM
Being that it is North of you, we can send Jim with his Ford to haul a chunk back.  :laf:

That would work pretty well.  It would be about a 7 hour trip for Jim to the pickup point and then another 25 minutes to my house.  I would hate to have to put a chunk that size in my truck and mess it up.  What do you think an 8 foot diameter trunk about 15 feet long would weigh?  I guess it doesn't matter - it won't be in my truck.  I will feed Jim a good meal before he heads out for your lathe.

Jerry

HuntnCarve

We make a good team Jerry. Yes, a 8' x15' section should work.  He can cut it to length on that fancy new bucking saw he's got at work.  Meantime,  I'll alert the PA State Police to watch out for a Ford truck riding a willy across the border.  Maybe to counteract the front end rise, Jim could ratchet down another comparable sized chunk to the front end?  Probably look like the Oscar Weiner Mobile?  :confused: Perhaps he could swing by HaMer's place so Glen could snap a few photos for us as Jim makes the journey?  You still onboard with all this Jim?  After all, in the end it's all about providing Jerry a good hunting site and adventure.:wink:  He might even let you slap on a coat of sealer on it during the off season. :laf:

Dave 

HaMeR

No problem Dave!! I'll have Diane cook a nice home cooked meal as he passes by so we won't be hungry while the pics are being taken.
Glen

RIP Russ,Blaine,Darrell

http://brightwoodturnings.com

2014-15 TBC-- 11

Hawks Feather

As the A-Teams leader used to say, "I love it when a plan comes together."

Jerry