• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.
Main Menu

New flathead pb

Started by bigben, May 04, 2012, 07:34:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bigben

Went for flatheads for first time today first rod to go down was mine. Immediately it started peeling drag in the holder. I picked out and started reeling. I figured it was a decent fish. Once i got him close to the boat he wouldnt come off the bottom i figured i had something then. I kept pressure on him and finally the leader and sinker was showing. He broke surface and went for the bottom. I kept steady pressure on em and finally got him turned and landed him. In the boat he looked cllose to 30. My spring scale said 24 lbs but i have my doubts. After pics i stuck him back in the water and held him till he swam off.

"If you want to know all about a man, go camping with him. Probably you think you know him already, but if you have never camped on the trail with him, you do not". Eldred Nathaniel Woodcock. Fifty Years a Hunter and Trapper.

HaMeR

Nice catch Ben!!!!!!!!!   :yoyo: :yoyo:
Glen

RIP Russ,Blaine,Darrell

http://brightwoodturnings.com

2014-15 TBC-- 11

FinsnFur

REAL nice!
Them spring scales suck. I cant believe them even make them yet.
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

bigben

My digital scale batteries were dead. I wanna check the accuracy of the spring scale then cause he looked bigger.

This fish was awesome to fight as well.
"If you want to know all about a man, go camping with him. Probably you think you know him already, but if you have never camped on the trail with him, you do not". Eldred Nathaniel Woodcock. Fifty Years a Hunter and Trapper.

weedwalker

Now THAT's a catfish!! Way to go Ben!! :yoyo:

Todd Rahm

Thats a sweet cat Ben and even better, glad to hear ya released it.  :congrats:

Okanagan

bigben

I finally got around to checking the spring scale against a more accurate digital scale.  I filled a bucket up with 24lbs worth of stuff verified via the spring scale I used and then checked on a digital scale and the digital said 29lbs.  my digital was dead when I caught that fish so I didn't have a way to check it then with the digital. 

couple details.

caught him out of 10ft of water which is deep for this stretch of the river.  late afternoon.  bluegill fillet from something that was pan sized.  killed me cutting it up for cutbait and throwing it on a hook for bait instead of the frying pan.  water was slightly stained and was flowing pretty good.  63deg was what the water temp was.  6/0 circle hook on a slip rig. 

Thanks fellas it is the biggest fish I have caught to date.  I knew it was big with the way it hit.  it was great to see it swim away though.

Hidehunter

Great Catch and thats awesome ya released her.  :yoyo:
Denver                                           

shaddragger

Take your kids hunting and you won't have to hunt your kids!
Allen

Oldgreyfox

Quote from: bigben on May 17, 2012, 07:58:07 AM
I finally got around to checking the spring scale against a more accurate digital scale.  I filled a bucket up with 24lbs worth of stuff verified via the spring scale I used and then checked on a digital scale and the digital said 29lbs.  my digital was dead when I caught that fish so I didn't have a way to check it then with the digital. 

Did you check the electronic scale for accuracy?

Dave

Very nice fish, Ben.  Didn't know they made em that big.

bigben

Quote from: Oldgreyfox on July 27, 2013, 07:35:32 PM
Quote from: bigben on May 17, 2012, 07:58:07 AM

Actually i have. I weighed some deer meat this past fall on the electronic scale and then took it to butcher shop and it was within a couple ozs. As well as in snake season this year.

Why do you ask?

Oldgreyfox

Actually i have. I weighed some deer meat this past fall on the electronic scale and then took it to butcher shop and it was within a couple ozs. As well as in snake season this year.

Why do you ask?
[/quote]

I ask because you ASSumed a scale that takes a battery is more accurate but you didn't have either certified.  Using a butchers scales is just as folly.  Does either scale say "NOT FOR TRADE"?  Your admission that your scale differed from the butchers is proof. You might as well have said you caught a 1 or 2 # cat.   

Oldgreyfox

Just sayin...
If you want everyone to believe your "accomplishments", use some believable certified scales.  That's all...just sayin...

bigben

Does it really matter?  you got reason to come in stirrin crap?  Willin to bet you have a past issue with me cause to be honest i dont really care how much it weighed. Does it to you? Its still,the biggest flat ive caught to date.

Oldgreyfox

Quote from: bigben on August 05, 2013, 04:32:49 PM
Does it really matter?  you got reason to come in stirrin crap?  Willin to bet you have a past issue with me cause to be honest i dont really care how much it weighed. Does it to you? Its still,the biggest flat ive caught to date.

It don't matter one bit to me.  I don't even care if you caught one.  I'm not stirrin' crap, just helping people from stepping in it.  I don't care what it weighs, in fact, I can't believe people weigh fish.  I was merely pointing out you assume that a scale that takes a battery and gives an LCD display, is more accurate. LMAO.  Does it say legal for trade?  Rest my case.  Looking at your picture...never mind.  I don't think you really own a scale.

bigben

Im sure your profile pic would be a trollish figure if youd post one. You say you dont care but you havent posted in any other thread so it sounds trollish to me. So be it. I admit it weighed 10lbs. Lol.  What a tool

nailbender

bigben

Id post sum pics and vid of a 55 lbr that should have smashed the pa record caught by sum cool guys in philly but they weighed it on a uncertified electronic scale. And we all know how inaccurate they are.  :eyebrownod:

http://seamoneyfishing.com/freshwater/83-2/