• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.
Main Menu

Good eatin

Started by Dave, April 18, 2013, 07:00:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dave

Hit the Jersey coast yesterday with two friends and limited out on Tog (I think they are also called Blackfish or Tile fish).  They are those tasty critters that just feed on crabs, mussels and the like.

Had to go out about 5 miles to a wreck to get into them.  While out there a fish warden showed up to see how things were going and snapped this shot.

As calm as it was I was battling the motion of the ocean, but was able to hang on.  The wind kicked up, the temperature dropped drastically and the bite finally turned on.  We were out there most of the day, caught many throw backs (the size limit is 15 inches) and eventually were able to get out of there with out 12 tog.  The biggest one is 19 inches with the rest 15-17.

And this one looks like the way i was feeling at times out there, only from the other end. 

We've all had those kinda days (as in the last pic).  In fact, Huntncarve had two of those taken care of yesterday!  A double hernia (can't just be one - had the BOGO special).   Hope you're feeling well, Dave!  Lee said you're doing fine, just that the surgeon said don't make any important decisions. And just a fair warning to ya, she's gonna be asking about a kitchen!

Hawks Feather

Quote from: Dave on April 18, 2013, 07:00:37 AM

When I look at this I have the feeling that you were fishing on the other side of the world.  Nice fish.

Jerry

FinsnFur

Those are some wired looking fish to us inlanders :laf: They are kinda bronze like a smalley arent they.
Looks like you guys did good.
Whats the story on the wreck?
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

Hawks Feather

Looks like you are no longer fishing "down under".

Jerry

Dave

Jim,
really not sure what the story is with the wreck.  We got the GPS numbers from my friends' friend.  You get out to those coordinates and look at the fish finder screen until you see some debris on the bottom, drop a float in the water (this one was about 45 feet deep).  then you try to anchor uptime from the float and let out enough line so you're fishing on the wreck.  If you're just a little off, you barely get any action, but if you are on the right spot the action is fast. 
Jerry,
it does feel like the other side of the world to me.  I'm not used to this, but it is interesting seeing the way it's done.  I might do it two/three times a year and need to watch what the others are doing pretty closely. 

FinsnFur

Thats interesting :eyebrownod: Cause fish LOVE structure and there's some spots here that you can fish and 3 feet from each other it makes a night and day difference.
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

HuntnCarve

Dave, glad you guys had a great time.  As I told you, I wish I could have been there instead of where I spent that day.  Felt like I was filleted with a dull axe.  The pain is subsiding with each passing day.  How the hell did my wife end up with a new kitchen??? :shrug:

Double "H" Dave

HaMeR

Looks like a ton of fun out there Dave!!

But not so much back on the mainland Dave!! Hope you're better real soon!! And may the Wife enjoy her new kitchen!!!!  :laf: :laf:
Glen

RIP Russ,Blaine,Darrell

http://brightwoodturnings.com

2014-15 TBC-- 11