• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.

Showcase Call by Dogwood Creek Calls.

Started by Dogwood Creek, May 01, 2007, 04:31:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ohiobob

RJ
very nice looking stuff,i am a machinist too AND a mechanical maintenance man,i havent machined in about 6 years but have been thinking of setting up my own shop,,manual and CNC but i still have cold feet,,there is a shop over here that is pretty big in the replaceable spade drills,end mills and other odds and ends,,i was thinking of going down there to run their CNC turning centers,,do you FIND that your machinist background helps you in making AND designing of different types of calls?
Do you sharpen your wood lathe tools on a grinder like HSS metal lathe bits/tools ? or use a hand file & ceramic hones?
Thank you very much

Bob
You don't shoot to kill; you shoot to stay alive.

A gun in the hand is better than a cop on the phone!!!

Bushmaster Predator .223,,4x14 Burris

Parke-Hale .22-.250 6x24 Tasco

Red Fag is a "Ruling Queen" Then ???

Dogwood Creek

Hey Bob. I don't know if being a machinist really does much for me in the way of call development. It might give me an edge in the manufacture of my own jigs and fixtures, as well as the sharpening of tools. I do all my sharpening under power. Sanding and grinding. I have never used a hone on a wood lathe tool.My tools are very disposable. Modified files for the most part. I have 4 Sorby tools, but the majority of my turning is done with files. As far as designing a call, say the shape or style of the call, you just have to have an eye for it. Good luck with the new job endever,R.J.

bowjunkie

:yoyo: very nice rightup there RJ I like the showcase it gives the call buyer a mental pic of the time and heart that goes into each and every call your calls are great and that yelper is just cool one of these days I'll learn how ta use one ....keep up the good work

Ed

BasinBoy

RJ,

nice looking call and great write up

fuzz624

Very nice call and write up RJ.It is always good to hear how someone got started.I know for a fact that your calls are top notch.I love the meat whistles i got from you.

iahntr

Thank you for sharing a little about yourself, and one of your great calls. Love your box calls also. Thanks
Scott

KySongDog

Nice write up and pics!  That yelper looks great!  Glad you are part of the crew here.   :yoyo:

Semp

HaMeR

Nice writeup RJ. Those box calls are very nice. I sure wouldn't mind winning that yelper to go with my wormy chestnut box call. :biggrin:

Thanks for the opportunity to win that call!! I certainly do appreciate it. I think the Showcase is a terrific idea!!
Glen

RIP Russ,Blaine,Darrell

http://brightwoodturnings.com

2014-15 TBC-- 11

ohiobob

OK let me see if i get this straight,,one day in THIS thread there will a 4th caller post a bio AND a call in here and all i have to do is post something in their thread and i am entered in a drawing for THAT CALL?
AND if this is the case WHEN do the call makers start THE NEW threads?
would it be like the 10th of EACH MONTH? i mean is it a certain day of the month that the new call maker post's his Bio AND a pic of his new call?
This would be GREAT since i just posted at the "other" place :innocentwhistle: that i JUST started buying my 2 boys and me hand calls,,not a lot but every now and then,,but i posted over there that i LIKE TO KNOW the guy i am giving my money to and that by THEM having a "hidden" room that i would NOT be able to see the makers "character" flaws so i guess they DIDNT AGREE because they locked the thread AND over here at FnF you put the call makers credentials right out there for God and everybody to read,,hmm that must mean there is NOTHING to hide from us Regulars(bottom dwelling scum suckers) over here at FnF,,,hmm i guess no one wants to "start" a magazine over HERE huh? :shck:
Thank you very much
Bob

vvarmitr

^^^^ :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao:

Bob: you are such a hoot! :laf:

The Rock

Very nice bio and calls R.J.

I have and use several Dogwood Creek calls for predator hunting and they are definately top notch!

Nice comment BOB!!  :rolleye:

ROOSTER

:yoyo: Nice yelper... :yoyo: Now I have to check out the rest of your calls.   :biggrin:

studabaka

Geezz....I been so busy turkey hunting that I forgot there was a new show case up.

Looks cool. I have never seen on of these up close or know how to use one....... so you'll need to pack instructions with it when I win it  :biggrin:

Thanks for participating in the showcase!!
"If your argument can only be made or expressed by putting someone else down, then it probably ain't worth spit." -- MicheGoodStone SA Pro Staff

Dogwood Creek

Hey thanks guys. I appreciate the compliments.

Sure thing Stu. I'll put instructions in there for ya.  Good luck with the turkey hunting. They are really henned up here now. Tough hunting. Still better than a good day working though.

quackerstacker

my name is steve and im addicted to bonkers

Coulter

Nice calls RJ...Great job on the website also. It is very user friendly and easy to navigate.

Steve

straycat

[/You The MAN ! When it comes to those call boxes. Does it matter what kind of wood ya use ? Just curious,good write up.
"If you're going to be a smartass, you'd better start by being smart before you start being an ass."

Never put both feet in your mouth at the same time, because then you won't have a leg to stand on.

Dogwood Creek

Hey straycat. Well, you can tune just about anything to "function" as a turkey call. But, there are woods that have been proven through time to be classic box call material. In my estimation,number one from a sound stand point anyway, is Butternut. Not real pretty or flashy, but some sweet sweet turkey music lives in Butternut. Another very user friendly wood for box calls is Poplar. Now I am talking about woods for the box portion of the call here. The lid is a horse of a different color. Woods I have had good success with for the "box" of the call are: Butternut,Walnut, Chestnut, Poplar, Soft Maple, Cherry, and Canary Wood believe it or not. That isn't to say these woods all tune easily, but have given me real bird calling sound. As mentioned above, the lid is another story. The material has to be compatable with the box portion of the call. Density and weight are paramount to success. If you are using a hard, high strung box, you need a dense, heavy lid to make it ring. The best materials I have found for lids are: Soft Maple, Cherry, Walnut and Purpleheart. Padauk is a very handy wood to have around for lids, but is such a mess to work with I don't use it much.

I didn't forget to mention Cedar as a box call material. I have had some very sweet boxes come from cedar. I don't use much Cedar for the simple reason it is too fragile in my eyes for serrious hard callin'. There are too many species available to us these days to put 3 evenings into a box that may split or break under real field conditions. If I had an unlimited supply of it on hand you can bet I would use it. There is nothing easier to work, or easier on tools than cedar.

Well, I bet you are sorry you asked about wood now eh? I hope I have shed a little light on the subject. If you aproach box calls as if they were musical instruments, they will be of the highest quality. It isn't hard to make a box sound like a turkey. But, when the box you lovingly hand crafted "FEELS"  like a turkey, you will never go "off the shelf" again.

ohiobob

I have NEVER Turkey hunted BUT I have tried to blow a diaphragm call 1 time and had NO LUCK  :wo:
My youngest Boy is nuts over turkey hunting and I am thinking of taking it up,,wish we could shot them with a Rifle,hell I could tag out easy then  :yoyo: of course we wouldnt have the Turkey population we have around here IF we could shoot them with Rifle,of course I have been told if ya learn how to call them ya DON'T need a rifle :wo:
NICE LOOKIN call

Bob

Bills Custom Calls

Hey Bob there should be a new call and bio up 1rst of june  as a matter of fact there is going to be a winner here real soon just wondering if I should just go ahead and send my name and adderess to this here call maker so he has got I am feeling lucky.

Bill
http://www.billscustomcalls.net

Home of the Triple Surface Pot Call