• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.

My calls I carry for Fall turkey hunting.

Started by nastygunz, October 01, 2020, 01:35:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Coyotes-R-Us

:confused:

I did not know you can "Call" turkeys in the fall.
We normally spot and stalk then.
old is the new young

nastygunz

The best fall calling technique is  to find and bust up a flock and then sit down and call them all back together. In the fall season here it is legal to use a dog to bust up the flock.  Spot and stock and sit in ambush work good too.

"is unlawful to take a turkey with a rifle, air rifle, dogs, electronic calling devices, live decoys, or while it is perched in a tree.
EXCEPTION: Dogs are allowed during the NH fall turkey season only to facilitate the hunter in breaking up the flocks."

Coyotes-R-Us

In the fall we can shoot hens, and roosted birds, or flying in the air.
We can use any kind of firearms we please on them too.
Normally we use 22 mags or 17 hornet but have used my 22/250 and 6mm rem at times too.
old is the new young

Okanagan

Quote from: Coyotes-R-Us on October 01, 2020, 02:24:13 PM
In the fall we can shoot hens, and roosted birds, or flying in the air.
We can use any kind of firearms we please on them too.
Normally we use 22 mags or 17 hornet but have used my 22/250 and 6mm rem at times too.

Envious here!  Ever since I got my heavy barreled 6mm custom rifle I have wanted to lie prone and shoot a turkey's head off across a pasture!  ;yes;

I have never hunted turkeys, but have messed around calling some of them on a friend's ranch in Wyoming, using mouth sounds and postures that worked on domestic turkeys when I was growing up.  A farmboy learns a lot of animal communication if he wants.  It interested me that wild turkeys reacted/responded about the same to the same sounds that domestic turkeys did.  Most of those experiences were in spring.

nastygunz

"The kee kee is usually a three-note call that lasts about two seconds. A variation of the call, the kee kee run, is merely a kee kee followed by a yelp. The kee kee is the call of lost young turkeys and variations are also made by adult birds. It's often associated with fall hunting and is used to reassemble a scattered flock. It can be used in the spring to make you sound more natural - especially on public land where it may set you apart from all the other hunters using yelps and cutts."

nastygunz

I have been dying to take one with my Thompson Contender .410 pistol but in New Hampshire you can't use a 410 and in Vermont you can't use a pistol!  :argh: :argh: :argh:

pitw

Quote from: nastygunz on October 01, 2020, 07:30:41 PM
I have been dying to take one with my Thompson Contender .410 pistol but in New Hampshire you can't use a 410 and in Vermont you can't use a pistol!  :argh: :argh: :argh:

So sit on the border. :doh2:
I say what I think not think what I say.

HaMeR

I'm still a rookie so I don't have nearly that many calls to carry. But I do carry several different diaphragm calls.
Glen

RIP Russ,Blaine,Darrell

http://brightwoodturnings.com

2014-15 TBC-- 11

Hawks Feather

That is quite a collection of turkey calls.  I would have trouble deciding which one to use.

nastygunz

I would but the border is the Connecticut River ha ha.

Quote from: pitw on October 02, 2020, 01:06:13 AM
Quote from: nastygunz on October 01, 2020, 07:30:41 PM

So sit on the border. :doh2:

nastygunz

Out of all those turkey calls, and there's a few custom ones in there, my absolute favorite that I use 90% of the time is the cheap old Walmart Primos box cutter. That call just Hauls them in!