• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.
Main Menu

catfishin with my lil cuz's

Started by bigben, July 05, 2011, 09:47:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bigben

I told my little cousins a few weeks back that if they did good in school I would take em out for "river monsters" (they are a big fan of the show)  even tho we didn't catch any huge monsters I am sure they had a good time. 

Friday mid morning me and a friend hooked up for some bait gathering.  We ended up both catching limits of gills.  I went home and got the boat ready.  tied a few extra rigs and got 5 rods rigged up.  I then picked up my cousins hunter and leejay.  We turned east to the river and was setup at the first spot by 8.  we didn't get any bites so I moved down to the first deep hole in this pool.  The pool we were fishing is two miles long.  the upper end is around 5ft deep and the lower portion is typical pa shelf rock.  We setup at the leading edge of a 11ft hole and tossed lines.  it wasn't long till I noticed the one rod getting hits. 

I told him to set the hook and reel.  he got it worked in and I landed it unhooked it and rebaited and threw back out.  then pic op time. 

not big at all.  We are at the tail end of the spawn right now in pa and I was just happy to see we were getting hits.  but the spawn bite showed itself.  All night we were having problems with fish mouthing the bait and not taking the rod down.  So I stuck four rods on bait clicker to see if they didn't like the resistance.  after that we ended up doing pretty good. 

I heard the bait clicker running on the rod closest to me and I told leejay to get up here since it was his turn.  I handed him the rod told him to lock the handle and set the hook.  Which he did perfect.  He reeled it in and we ended up with a 4lb flat.

After that I moved shallower to see how the other boat my father was in was doing.  We setup on a mud flat close to some holes.  Threw a few lines out and jawed with the other boat.  right before we were going to leave I hear the bait clicker running again.  I told hunter to get up and take this one.  I handed him the rod and locked the spool and told him to give it a jerk.  He did and started reeling.  this one was a baby channel.  not more then 2 lbs. 

We moved over to another spot that was beside a flat and setup.  We sat for a while till we started getting bites again.  prob 30 mins into it I hear a clicker going off.  I turn my headlamp on.  I told leejay to get it since it was his turn but he wanted his younger brother to reel it in.  So I locked the handle and the fish loaded up the rod and was on but still needed reeled in.  hunter got back to me and picked the rod outta the rod holder.  As he was working it in I knew it was bigger then a 1lb baby.  we landed it and it ended up being a 7lb flat. 

all night long I had a rod out with a live sunny on it.  I started cleaning the boat up and every now and then I would hear it pick up and go a few feet then stop.  The kids were getting worked up because they knew that bait clickers meant fish.  I left it go.  5 mins later again it would pick up go some more.  That rod did that for 30 minutes till wham it took off like a gun shot.  I locked the reel in and let the rod load up.  he was hooked.  it was a decent fish compared to what we were catching already but both the kids wanted me to reel it in.  I tried getting one of em to get it in but they insisted.  so I picked the rod up and reeled it in.  once landed we weighed it and it went 9lbs.  at that point it was 11 and time to head home.  we got the boat loaded and then left.

I did get some video but it is a lil shakey since I was trying to land at the same time as video.  I will get it edited tonight and get it up.  thanks for looking.  they already want to head out again but I want to wait till the bite gets better.  we missed a bunch.  lot of stripped hooks.  it was a fun and interesting night.  now I know how dad felt taking me and my lil bro out fishing.   :laf:
"If you want to know all about a man, go camping with him. Probably you think you know him already, but if you have never camped on the trail with him, you do not". Eldred Nathaniel Woodcock. Fifty Years a Hunter and Trapper.

Bills Custom Calls

Ben from the looks on their faces you showed them a grand time

Job well done and they will remember that for a long time
http://www.billscustomcalls.net

Home of the Triple Surface Pot Call

Frogman

It's always great to see the young'uns getting out!  You done good!!

Jim
You can't kill 'em from the recliner!!

iahntr

Looks and sounds like a good time had by all  :highclap:
Thanks for sharin it with us.
Scott

HaMeR

Looks & sounds like everybody had fun Ben!! Good on ya for taking those young fellas out catfishin!!  :yoyo: :yoyo:
Glen

RIP Russ,Blaine,Darrell

http://brightwoodturnings.com

2014-15 TBC-- 11

FinsnFur

Yeah, looks like fun and it's gonna be some good chewin too. :eyebrownod:
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

shaddragger

:congrats: :yoyo: Great job B! Those boys clearly had a blast, and props to you for keeping the PFD's on them.
Take your kids hunting and you won't have to hunt your kids!
Allen

Todd Rahm

Thats a nice mess of cats ya got there.  :congrats:

bigben

Thanks fellas. They have been wanting me to take em out since the start of june. but with the fishing being bad I wanted to wait. I am glad we caught a few but hopefully I can get em back out again when the bite is better.
"If you want to know all about a man, go camping with him. Probably you think you know him already, but if you have never camped on the trail with him, you do not". Eldred Nathaniel Woodcock. Fifty Years a Hunter and Trapper.