• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.
Main Menu

My first!

Started by nastygunz, August 06, 2018, 11:01:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

nastygunz

I'm schooling my nephew on the art of canine hunting and it made me think back when I first started trying it out I had my 12 gauge shotgun with buckshot and a Johnny Stewart mouth called and that was it. I remember sitting up on a partially cut cornfield  and letting out a few good blast on the mouth called and then waiting a while and then trying it again. I remember the whole time thinking this is about the biggest waste of time I said there's no way anything is going to come into that. I gave it about 15 or 20 minutes.  Finally I said the hell with this got my stuff and headed back to the truck which I had parked a ways down the field when I get to my truck I hopped in and looked down the field and probably 20 feet from where I had been set up a big yellow coyote popped out of the edge of the field and stood right in the open looking around like where the hell is that a rabbit?.  If I had waited just a few more minutes he would've been right on top of me and well within range. I have kicked myself in the ass ever since that I didn't wait longer but I also still remember how excited I was that I had actually been able to call one in!  My second called in canine was a gray fox who came bouncing through the woods and stopped about 30 feet in front of me I pulled up my 12 gauge and let loose and completely missed him and shot at him two more times as he ran off and completely missed him too and have been kicking myself in the ass that I missed him ever since also.  My entry into predator hunting was a self-taught trial and error journey but a lot of fun and I finally did run into the dumbest coyote in New England and scored one!

FinsnFur

Has he got his first yet?
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

centerfire_223

That reminds me of my starting out in the world of predator calling. I had killed a big red colored coyote during deer season, so that got my curiosity up. Then I started reading and realize you could call this critters in. So I bought me a hand call and headed to the woods. First stand I ever made, 30 seconds in to it, I hear something come running up behind me. Scared me so bad, I whirled around to see what it was. Two gray foxes were standing 20 feet from me, but not standing for long. They hit the trail running after I scared them as bad as they scared me. After that I thought all you had to do is go sit down toot on that call and they will come a running. Well that is where I was wrong, took me 2 years to call anything else up. No telling how many stands I had made during those two years, probably well over a hundred. During all of this time I never quit reading and talking with people about calling coyotes. When it finally clicked I was a calling machine and killing machine, for around these parts. Funny how little changes in setups, calling sequences, wind direction and most importantly stand choices can play such a vital roll in success.
Ronnie Cannon

------------->-

nastygunz

Yessir, he got one last year. We can only turkey hunt till noon so if we scored or ran out of time we swapped chokes and shells then tried calling in coyotes. Did that one day and had a big male cross a field and pop up on the stone wall about 30 feet in front of us and he smoked him with one shot, that really got him hooked. Right now hes more interested in chasing girls  :alscalls: :alscalls: :yoyo:

pitw

Quote from: nastygunz on August 07, 2018, 11:41:03 AMRight now hes more interested in chasing girls  :alscalls: :alscalls: :yoyo:

Good choice as they certainly smell better[mostly].
I say what I think not think what I say.