• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.

Short Beard Down.............[updated w/ story]

Started by DirtyDog, April 06, 2008, 10:20:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DirtyDog

I'll post the story tomorrow, but I shot this jake (my first bird ever) at 25 yards with the ole reliable 870 and Remington #5's.

Ok, so here's the story........

Arrived in Bumpus Mills, TN where my freind from Florida has a house and small farm. We hunted hard on Saturday morning and didn't hear a thing except a bunch of birds fly down from the roost. Saturday evening, I decided to sit and call where we started because of all the sign. I heard one gobblin about every 5 minutes right up until right before dark. When I realized he was probably henned up and not going to come in, I eased out and decided to try again on Sunday morning. So Sunday morning rolls around, and it is early, and foggy. Sure enough, that ole boy was still there and gobblin. He gobbled again about every 5 minutes and seemed to be getting closer and farther away, then again. We knew he was henned up, and figured we could come back in a bit and get him once he left his hens. Well next thing you know.........BOOM, righ down at the base of the next ravine (my freinds farm). There was no one else that was supposed to be there, so we immediatly packed up, got to the 4-wheelers and tried to investigate. Sure enough, someone was tresspassing. We saw him, but he dissappeared before we could get to him. We think he was in a boat and just jumped in am drifted off.

So anyways, later on, we are walking on top of a ridge and calling every couple of minutes, not hearing anything and moving on. We get to the end of the ridge, and a crow lets out and then I hear a gobble. I got the call out and could not hear a dang thing. So we started to walk down the ridge, and talking about the deer highway moving through there and how we needed to get a tree stand in that bottom. We get to the bottom, and are still talking and I hear some rustling coming from behind a little finger coming into the bottom. It sounded like a deer, or a person, but we sat down anyways. I got my gun up, and Ronny got his call out. Nothing answered, so we were not sure what it was. Next thing I see a blue head appear over the finger. I waited until he got into full view, and POW. We worked hard for this bird, even though it didn't gobble or strut. He had about a 4" beard and 1/2" spurs.

Frogman

DirtyDog,
         Way to go!!   :congrats:  Congrats.  I plan to try turkey hunting for the first time this year when our WV season comes in April 28.
Hope I can do as well as you.  :yoyo:

Jim
You can't kill 'em from the recliner!!

iahntr

:yoyo: :yoyo: Awesome man.
Congratulations.  :congrats: :congrats:
Scott

FinsnFur

Nice job, but uhhhhh :confused:  We got a contest going, how come you posted it in here?  :huh:
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

Silencer

Congrats on the bird  :congrats: :yoyo:  need the story  :biggrin:

Nelson

Great hunt DD!!!    Congratulations!!

:yoyo: :yoyo:

Nelson

KySongDog

DirtyDog

Quote from: FinsnFur on April 06, 2008, 10:51:21 PM
Nice job, but uhhhhh :confused:  We got a contest going, how come you posted it in here?  :huh:

I don't know what I was thinkin Jim.......No FnF in the photo anyways.

I'll let someone else win. Just as long as it isn't someone who only comes here once in a blue moon, sees we have a contest, then post his and wins.  :innocentwhistle:

Rprince

FinsnFur

It's posted they have to be of regular member status anyway.
Now let's hear the story on this bad boy.. :yoyo:
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

bootmud

Congrats on a fine looking bird.  Nuttin wrong with a jake. :yoyo:

bootmud
www.huntafp.org
www.kettlecreekcalls.com

HaMeR

Way to go Joe!! I knew you would bust one!! I agree with bootmud too>>  :readthis: Nuttin wrong with a jake.   :yoyo:
Glen

RIP Russ,Blaine,Darrell

http://brightwoodturnings.com

2014-15 TBC-- 11

cb223

CHAD

BigB

Quote from: DirtyDog on April 06, 2008, 10:20:23 PM
Well next thing you know.........BOOM, righ down at the base of the next ravine (my freinds farm). There was no one else that was supposed to be there, so we immediatly packed up, got to the 4-wheelers and tried to investigate. Sure enough, someone was tresspassing. We saw him, but he dissappeared before we could get to him.

Always be careful with trespassers, and ESPECIALLY one's with guns.  You never know what they may do. :huh:
The best bet is to report it and let the authorities deal with it.  We've got a guy that trespasses on our property, but we allow it because we think it is his only means to put dinner on the table.  :sad:

Congrats on the first bird. :congrats:  Turkey hunting will definately get in your blood after you hear the gobble of a bird coming into your stand!!  And it's a great feeling to take that turkey home with you as well!!

Brian
hand call user primarily, but if you gotta use an e-caller, there ain't nothing that sounds better than a Wildlife Tech

Silencer

Great Job Joe  :bowingsmilie: , lots of times the younger birds will come in quiet like that cuz they're scaret the ole tom's gonna put a wuppin on em !!!!

DirtyDog

Thanks guys.......I am still pumped about this!!!!!

coyotehunter_1

Dirty Dog............... YOU TURKEY ...                                                                                                             hunter !

Trying for the Grand Slam ?  :laf: :eyebrownod:

:congrats: You did gooooood !  :biggrin:
Please visit our ol' buddies over at: http://www.easterncoyotes.com

Born and raised in the southern highlands of Appalachia, I'm just an ol' country boy who enjoys calling coyotes... nothing more, nothing less.

DirtyDog

Quote from: coyotehunter_1 on April 07, 2008, 07:40:24 PM
Dirty Dog............... YOU TURKEY ...                                                                                                             hunter !

Trying for the Grand Slam ?  :laf: :eyebrownod:

:congrats: You did gooooood !  :biggrin:

Maybe.....my own little grand slam. I am still trying to get me a fox. That is the only thing left on my want list.  :sneer:

Troy Walter

msmith

Mike

MONTANI SEMPER LIBERI