• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.

Road Trip!!

Started by THO Game Calls, November 14, 2006, 05:26:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

THO Game Calls

Hey Call Makers -

Taking a road trip this morning for a Jeep Load of new 1 1/2" x 1 1/2" turning squares.

On the list to be picked up today are

Blackwood

Kingwood

Bocote

Ebony

My Cocobolo and Bloodwood are still in the Kiln and will be in around the end of the month.

Keep an eye on the web site!   www.thogamecalls.com   I got a great deal on about 500 blanks and will be passing those savings along to you.   The best part, I get to hand pick the blanks I want.  It may take awhile but I am getting the good stuff for us all.

I'll post some pictures later tonight.

THanks

Al
THO Game Calls
www.thogamecalls.com
Become one of 'The Hunted Ones' with a THO Game Call
Handcrafted Collector Quality - Field Proven Results

Arkyyoter

As my kids used to say, " Drive on safety", be careful, and I hope ya get some really pretty stuff!!

Joe

FinsnFur

Did he have acrylic on that list  :confused: ...I better check again  :huh:
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

Hawks Feather

Al,

We will be waiting for the pics.

Jim,

Acrylic takes a really long time in the kiln, so it may be some time for that.   :roflmao:

Jerry

THO Game Calls

Darn, I felt like a kid in a candy store.  This place is the largest supplier of wood on the east coast.  You get it from Bellforest, they got it from them.  You get it from Righteous Hardwoods, they got it from them, same with Goose Bay and a tone of other places. 

The manager was ready and waiting for me.  He had three pallets stacked up in the middle of the floor.  Yeah, Pallets LOL.  He went about is business and I sat down and started going through blanks.  One by one.  This is the total take

166 blanks of cocobolo  I took a few that had sap wood in them because they seemed to be very nicely figured otherwise so I will only be selling about 140 of these. 

60 blanks of blackwood, and 99% of them have NO sapwood in them.  The down side, is they are only 9" long.   Oh well.  Bellforest had squares 18 inches long for 27 bucks.  These 9 inchers will run you guys 7.00 - or the same 18 inches for 14 vs 27.  Get it now because I plan on turning some of it myself   :eyebrownod:

about 30 blanks of Kingwood, 10 tulip wood, only 6 or so Bocote as I just did not think what they had would work for calls.  Got some Zircote and East India Rosewood (very pretty).

Saw a piece of Pink Ivory Burl.  Could not aford that one.  Would have had to take out a mortage on the house.  I did pick up some wood for personal use, all of it burls, and all of it pretty pricey,  I just could not get a good of enough deal on it to pass it along to call makers. 

There are a few other woods in there that I can't remember right now, but they will be on the site in a few days.  I hope. 

Anyway, I got about 2/3's of what I really wanted.  Some of the cocobolo is still in the kiln as is the bloodwood.  The Ebony did not look as good as I had hoped and it was pretty expensive so I took a pass.  I had hoped for about 300 cocobolo squares.  As it was, I just met the minimun wholesale price of 1500 bucks.  I had planned on spending twice that.  They must think I am pretty picky but they did not seem to mind at all.  Really nice folks.   

Here are some prices for FnF members before I get it on the web site is anyone is interested.  PM me and I will pick you out some good stuff.

12" cocobolo squares 4.50 
9" blackwood squares 7.00
12" Kingwood Squares 7.50

I am going to put the Tulipwood, Zircote, and Bocote on the site so you can see all 4 sides of the blanks prior to buying them.  Same with the East India Rosewood, which really looks almost like Kingwood but is a tad bit cheaper. 

I am also making another run up there in about 3 weeks when the cocobolo comes out of the kiln.  If you have a wood you would like, let me know and I will see what kind of a deal I can get on it for you. 

I will also be picking up about 300 4" cocobolo squares that are cut out of crotches and where limbs were.  Tons of figure in it but it was under palets and we could not get it out right then.  The blanks should make some really nice calls. 

I also still have several blanks of Diamondwood on the site and will have some more colors coming in during December.

Also a number of 6" blanks of Kingwood - 3.50  , Cocobolo  2.25  and Bocote 2.00

And Jim,

I did get some new acrylic colors in.  Some really nice translucent Violet  :biggrin: and some very nice looking translucent light green, almost a sea foam grean color.   I just have not had time to do anything with them yet. 

OK, back to work LOL.   If you need or want any of this wood just let me know. 

Al
THO Game Calls
www.thogamecalls.com
Become one of 'The Hunted Ones' with a THO Game Call
Handcrafted Collector Quality - Field Proven Results

FinsnFur

Quote from: THO Game Calls on November 14, 2006, 02:28:08 PM

And Jim,

I did get some new acrylic colors in.  Some really nice translucent Violet  :biggrin: and some very nice looking translucent light green, almost a sea foam grean color.   

:biggrin:   :biggrin:    :biggrin:
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

Brad H

Holy shit, Al! Talk about getting wood. You're a regular supply outlet.

When I get back into the wood game, you will be the guy I'll talk to.

Brad