• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.

What would you Do ? Hunt em now or wait ?

Started by ARshooter, August 30, 2008, 10:33:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ARshooter

:confused: Ive got a group of coyotes located in Kentucky. Got them to sing this evening with a siren on my FoxPro.
Ive hunted the parcel before and know it well. Ive also killed coyotes on it, but it was always in the late fall and early winter.
Id love to go set up on them tomorrow evening. But.....Its hot as H--- everything is still thick and green. Id have to call them out into the open or edge of the open.  When hunting here in the east Ive always  hunted  inside the woods near an open edge. This isn't possible right now because of the thick foliage.  Here in the east (its been my experience) that its tuff to call them out of the cover and into an open field.

Ok....I'm really cranked up and wanting to hunt em. But.... is it too early ?    Should I just leave em alone till October ?

Is it safe to say I could bust a couple now, and  not screw the area up for hunting later in the season ?

You out there Brent ?

coyotehunter_1

I'm in the same boat here....
QuoteIts hot as H--- everything is still thick and green. Id have to call them out into the open or edge of the open.  When hunting here in the east Ive always  hunted inside the woods near an open edge. This isn't possible right now because of the thick foliage. Here in the east (its been my experience) that its tuff to call them out of the cover and into an open field.

To the outside edge or only a few yards into the open is all you need. 

Scratch that itch !!  :wink:

Edit: Please pardon my manors :doh2: ... Welcome to FnF  :biggrin:
Please visit our ol' buddies over at: http://www.easterncoyotes.com

Born and raised in the southern highlands of Appalachia, I'm just an ol' country boy who enjoys calling coyotes... nothing more, nothing less.

weedwalker

Go for it. :yoyo: Get them to the edge and pop 'em.

What part of Ky you in? I'm in London. And welcome to the forum.

ARshooter

I live in Ohio, but hunt Ky and WV also. I'm near Ashland. I was kayaking down on the Elkhorn last year. We camped. About never got any sleep for all the coyotes singin. It was almost continuous for an hour, and on and off all night.
You GOT A BUNCH of em down your way !

pitw

Welcome to the site ARshooter.  If you don't want the fur go get em and if you do want the fur go get em.  I work under the assumption somebody else will anyway. :doh2:
I say what I think not think what I say.

alscalls

Welcome, They will come out in the open it just takes a while.........Go for it.........like chet said, scratch. :eyebrownod:
AL

http://alscalls.googlepages.com/alscalls

HaMeR

Welcome to the Forum AR!! You have a really nice hunting store over your way.  :eyebrow: 

If you are looking at a hardwoods area it will be more open inside the tree line. Use a shotgun & bust em in the chops.  :wink:
Glen

RIP Russ,Blaine,Darrell

http://brightwoodturnings.com

2014-15 TBC-- 11

vvarmitr

If I can get a crosshair on a coyote I pull the trigger ... provided they're in season which as you know here in Ohio is a limited 24, 7, 365 a year.  :laf:

Welcome to the board too. :highclap:

ARshooter

Thanks yall.  If the wind stays good (and the Wife doesn't drag me off somewhere) .....I'm goin.

FinsnFur

Yeah even a tree stand might give you a lil extra advantage. Git after em let us know how ya do.

Welcome to the board by the way.
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

cb223

Welcome to the board. Now get out there, shoot em and then show us pics.
CHAD

Frogman

Go for it.  They will come out into the meadows.

Jim
You can't kill 'em from the recliner!!

Coulter

I agree with PitW on this one...do you want to shoot them for fur or for sport? If your shooting for fur then early November is the earliest I would shoot them, Maybe even later in KY. For sport they are fair game anytime.

So what kind of kayak do ya have anyway :biggrin:

Steve

ARshooter

Well fellas I haven't gone yet. Wind was wrong, and Lord was it HOT today. I'm off work for a while, so soon as Everything is right, I'll be goin. The photo here is a female I took off the same place in April I think it was. She was full of pup's. I felt bad but the farmer was  downright thrilled.   I (actually didn't) wanna wipe a bunch of em out all at once. Wanted to leave seed.  Probably not right to feel this way cause the farmer wants em all killed. Needless to say.....I didnt let on how happy I was to have them singin to my siren the other evening ! Ill keep you posted......

ARshooter

Quote from: Coulter on September 01, 2008, 03:27:23 PM
I agree with PitW on this one...do you want to shoot them for fur or for sport? If your shooting for fur then early November is the earliest I would shoot them, Maybe even later in KY. For sport they are fair game anytime.

So what kind of kayak do ya have anyway :biggrin: Sorry bout that ...I missed your question.  Pyranha  Burn , Wavesport Habitat and a Dagger Nomad. Yep....I be kayak poor.

Steve

ARshooter

Quote from: Frogman on September 01, 2008, 02:09:42 PM
Go for it.  They will come out into the meadows.

Jim
:yoyo: NICE Coyote.  Great photo too.

Jerry Hunsley

Hunt them right now. Chances are if you kill any , more will move in by the time fur is prime in early winter. They haven't even dispersed yet, so your chances are pretty good you will call more than one . Go for it now.

Coulter

Aaah...whitewater kayaker. I'm at the opposite end of the spectrum with sea kayaking. I have an Eddyline Fathom and a Perception Carolina. I love playing in the surf and rough water though. Have fun :yoyo:

Steve

CCP

QuoteHunt them right now. Chances are if you kill any , more will move in by the time fur is prime in early winter. They haven't even dispersed yet, so your chances are pretty good you will call more than one . Go for it now.

+1 for what Jerry said!
easterncoyotes.com

ccp@finsandfur.net