• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.

Out with the old, in with the new

Started by Brad H, March 05, 2007, 11:32:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brad H

A major change for me recently. Tonight I just agreed to sell the vehicle I bought seven years ago when I learned to call coyotes and needed something for that purpose. I had an engine built for it and put it in myself, and though I took it places it shouldn't have gone, didn't put a mark on it since I bought it.

I'll miss the fact that it will go more places in 2wd than most trucks will go in 4, but I wont miss the 8 mpg in town and 11 at 55 with a tailwind.

I'm kinda spoiling myself, but atleast now I can take the kids across the state to my parents when the wife needs the Durango for work.

out...

in...

FinsnFur

WOW!...Nnnnnice :biggrin:

I know the feeling. I spent 3 grand in machining and Edelbrock toys for 400 in one of my trucks and now I can't afford to show off the ponies  :sad:
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

HaMeR

Nice lookin truck for sure. I looked at dropping my 01 Silverado off somewhere but decided 4 tires & a few minor repairs was less $$ & it still looks/runs like a new truck.  Congrats & Enjoy it Safely.
Glen

RIP Russ,Blaine,Darrell

http://brightwoodturnings.com

2014-15 TBC-- 11

Brad H

The 85 drove off this morning. :sad:

I also had the comp cam and all the goodies in it but never got the gears lowered to take advantage of it.

I put 35000 miles and two sets of tires on it in 7 years. I liked fixing the little things but they've been adding up faster than I had time for. So it was time for a change.

Brad

THO Game Calls

Man, I know how it hurts to lose a good hunting vehicle.  I've had my old Cherokee since it was a baby in 1994.   

Last night my wife saw a really nice pick up and said I should get it, till she saw the price LOL.   I'll give up the jeep when the frame rots away and the tires fall off.

That is one heck of a nice truck you got though.   Way fancy!   Congrats - I hope it treats you as well as the old one.

Good luck with it!

Al
THO Game Calls
www.thogamecalls.com
Become one of 'The Hunted Ones' with a THO Game Call
Handcrafted Collector Quality - Field Proven Results

HaMeR

QuoteI put 35000 miles and two sets of tires on it in 7 years.
:roflmao: :roflmao:

Thats it!! :shrug:

I put 54,000 on the 1st set of tires & I just re-rubbered it last week. All this in about 32 months!! :rolleye: :roflmao:

I bought it to drive & so I do. :laf: I take it you have good hunting within 20 minutes or so of home?? I have to go almost 1 hour each way on more than just the occasion plus I can run 100miles a day 4x per week looking for groundhogs.
Glen

RIP Russ,Blaine,Darrell

http://brightwoodturnings.com

2014-15 TBC-- 11

keekee

I know how you feel Brad! Im in the same boat here. I bought mine in 1995. Put 200,000 on her so far. But she is fading fast! Breaks need work, she's a using oil, the heater works about half, she's got a miss in her now that I cant find, and the front end is getting loose. And needs shocks as well. Im afraid to drive her to far.

But I was just thinking back at all the dead critter's that truck has had in it....lol

Me and the wife been talking about getting me a new one, but man I hate to make those payments!

Very nice looking ride! :eyebrownod:

Brent

Brad H

35 in 7...that's it. lol

Most of where I go is 20 to 100 miles from here, it is nice that it's so close, but it's all rough roads in rough country. I did take it to Alberta a couple years ago. That was about a 1000 mile round trip. The Hankook RT01's held up good on dirt but pavement ate'em up. Didn't matter though, they didn't see much of that.

I'll be able to venture a little farther now and go some places I wasn't able to before.

Yip, I can relate to all of that, Brent. It sounds like that one served you well though. I intended to run this one to death like AL said, but my time and patients ran out, though I never thought that would happen. I'm sure happy with this newer one.

Brad

Todd Rahm

I'm partial to the old, but thats a nice upgrade.  :congrats: :congrats: Must be selling allot of those howlers.  :biggrin: I think I can account for the fifth lug nut on the back wheel.  :roflmao:

Nnice truck brad.

Ladobe

Nice ride Brad.   Bet you'll get a lot of good service out of it too.   :highclap:   Well remember gas guzzlers.   My '75 F250 with the 460 and Holley 860CFM 3-B that I carried a '88 custom extended cab-over 10.5' Lance camper on and pulled a trailer with 2 Honda 350 ATV's was one.   Even fully loaded it would lay rubber up steep grades, and if cruising at 70 and you floored it, you got your head bounced off the rear window.   Mostly got 7-10 MPG on trips (never drove it around town), one time in a very strong head wind only 3 MPG, and you could sure watch the gas gage go down while driving it.   Packed 38 gallons though, so still had some range.   And that was back when a tank of gas didn't cost you your first born.

I'm with you Todd... liked the older body styles better too.   Wore out a bunch of Chevy and Ford 4X4 trucks over the years I lived in the Rockies.   Couple of years after I moved to the desert I sold the '92 FS Eddie Bauer Bronco (my last 4X4) and just bought a slightly used F150 XLT.   That old '91 served me well and never missed a beat.   Even though only 2 wheel drive, with the big straight six and granny 4-speed it went anywhere a 4X4 would.   Massive head on collision took it out big time (and me) so I had to pick up the '99.   It's been a good truck too.   Still only has 40K on it - expect it to be my last truck.  

BTW no, not really a Ford guy.   Wore out a bunch of Chevy/GMC's from the mid 50's until their trucks went south in the mid 70's, and switched to Ford mostly.  

My hunting vehicle now is a Corvette though.   :wink:

USN 1967-1971

Thou shalt keep thy religious beliefs to thyself please.  Meus

Brad H

QuoteMust be selling allot of those howlers.

DOH!!! Never thought of that. I haven't broke it down, but you might own a chunk of that ashtray too. :biggrin:

Your pics bring back memories, Ladobe. My dad bought a brand new Ford 3/4 ton Supercab in 76. They didn't have four wheel drive in the supercab till 78 I think, but options were very limited back then when you were gearing up for long distance camping trips with two kids. It got stuck all the time in the soft sand with that big heavy Bell on the back, but the camping itself, and the walleyes we pulled into the boat always made it worth the effort.

Brad

Todd Rahm

They still put ashtrays in new vehicles? Man I got ripped on my new truck.  :confused: I need something to carry all those extra "JC" reeds in.  :biggrin:

Well maybe over the next year or so we can put some custom accessories on that truck.  :roflmao:

securpro

Quote from: HaMeR on March 06, 2007, 12:32:47 PM
QuoteI put 35000 miles and two sets of tires on it in 7 years.
:roflmao: :roflmao:

Thats it!! :shrug:

I put 54,000 on the 1st set of tires & I just re-rubbered it last week. All this in about 32 months!! :rolleye: :roflmao:

C,mon guys I've got a '96 Toyota Tacoma 4x4 that I purchased in '98 with 9000 mi on it ,Yesterday It had it's 329000 b-day and I wouldn't  trade it for a new one.
I could'nt tell you how many sets of BFG all-terrains I've put on it !!!!   :shrug:

Anyway congrats on the new truck  :eyebrow:

securpro
"The strongest reason for people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government." -- (Thomas Jefferson)

securpro

canine

That's a sharp truck Brad! :yoyo:

Let's put some miles on her...pack er up and head on over to Ohio for some :hahaha: fine coyote hunting!! LOL..

JD