• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.
Main Menu

Hey Nastygunz

Started by coyote101, February 27, 2016, 08:28:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

coyote101

I thought you might like this. It's not a Contender, but it is a Thompson-Center and a squirrel.

My first squirrel with the Encore .45/.410 barrel.

Pat
NRA Life Member

"On the plains of hesitation bleach the bones of countless millions who, at the dawn of decision, sat down to wait, and waiting died." - Sam Ewing

pitw

Dang you is turning into a killing machine, Pat.  Cool pic. :congrats:
I say what I think not think what I say.

nastygunz

Saweeeeeeettt!....beautiful gun :yoyo: ...is that a new barrel for you ? Them barrels r too much fun! Encores are the updated stronger version of the old Contenders.

coyote101

Quote from: nastygunz on February 28, 2016, 02:22:08 PM
Saweeeeeeettt!....beautiful gun :yoyo: ...is that a new barrel for you ? Them barrels r too much fun! Encores are the updated stronger version of the old Contenders.

It is a new barrel for me. I traded another barrel for it a few weeks ago. Yesterday was the first time I took it hunting.

It has a fairly short range because the rifling really spreads the shot quickly, but if I can get close, I can kill them. I'm thinking about sending it to a guy to remove the helical rifling, cut straight rifling into it, and add a tight choke. With the mods it can be a killer out to 30 yards or so.

What kind of range do you get with your Contenders?

Pat

NRA Life Member

"On the plains of hesitation bleach the bones of countless millions who, at the dawn of decision, sat down to wait, and waiting died." - Sam Ewing

nastygunz

Interesting idea about the rifling, I usually go around 20+ yards with 3 inch 7 1/2 shot. Your barrel should have a choke in it already to help stop the rifling spin?  When I am small game hunting a lot of times I take my contender in a bandolier holster and my .22 rifle and my far shots get the rifle the close shots get the contender.   Depending on where I am hunting I don't like to shoot a bullet up into the trees so I use the contender for the tree shots too.

FinsnFur

Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

coyote101

Quote from: nastygunz on February 28, 2016, 05:57:04 PM
Interesting idea about the rifling, I usually go around 20+ yards with 3 inch 7 1/2 shot. Your barrel should have a choke in it already to help stop the rifling spin? 

I patterned it at 15 and 20 yards using 2 1/2 inch 6 shot. I think 15 yards is the about the ethical limit for squirrel size targets with that load. I bought a box of 3 inch 6 shot and killed the squirrel with it at about 15 yards. I have not patterned it with the 3 inch load yet, so I don't know how much it will extend the range. I think I'll buy some 3 inch 7 1/2 shot and see how it works.

There is a choke in the end of the barrel, but the pattern still opens pretty fast.

Quote from: nastygunz on February 28, 2016, 05:57:04 PM
When I am small game hunting a lot of times I take my contender in a bandolier holster and my .22 rifle and my far shots get the rifle the close shots get the contender.   Depending on where I am hunting I don't like to shoot a bullet up into the trees so I use the contender for the tree shots too.

I only had the pistol with me yesterday, but I intend to do what you're doing and also take a .22 rifle for the longer shots and use the Encore for the closer shots. Unfortunately, tomorrow is the last day of small game season so it won't see much use for several months.  :sad:

Pat
NRA Life Member

nastygunz

I think you'll like the 7 1/2 shot quite a bit.  When I really want to go pistolero  I use a double shoulder holster with the contender in one holster and a .22 pistol with a red dot on it in the other.

This guy is using .410 nitro gold 3 inch #8 shot:

coyote101

Quote from: nastygunz on February 29, 2016, 02:41:32 AM
When I really want to go pistolero  I use a double shoulder holster with the contender in one holster and a .22 pistol with a red dot on it in the other.

Now you got me thinking.   :eyebrow:

This may be my new squirrel hunting setup this fall:

Pat
NRA Life Member

nastygunz

That looks like a squirrel genocide waiting to happen  :biggrin:

coyote101

That turkey video was very cool.  :yoyo: Turkey is my ultimate goal with the .410 barrel. That's why I'm considering having the rifling modified to extend the range.

Pat
NRA Life Member

nastygunz

I have been raising hell here for a few years to let us use 410 for turkey but they won't budge. Hevishot .410

http://www.hevishot.com/catalog/hevi-shot-duck/

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1837347698/hevi-shot-duck-waterfowl-and-upland-ammunition-410-bore-3-1-2-oz-7-non-toxic-shot

http://www.ballisticproducts.com/ITX-Shot-Products/products/370/

I would be real interested to observe if you get straight rifling and a choke put on yours !

5 SHOTS

Here is a pic of my small game revolver.

.500 S&W.
sometimes I wonder....is that getting closer..... then it hits me

I had a personal conflict the other day, now I'm not speaking to myself.... I'm getting lonesome

I met the girl of my dreams, I was the man of her dreams too.....she used the term "nightmares" though.

nastygunz

That one sure didn't try to make it back down the hole!

HaMeR

Quote from: nastygunz on March 01, 2016, 04:37:24 AM
That one sure didn't try to make it back down the hole!

YEAH!! Neither half of it!!!  :yoyo: :yoyo:
Glen

RIP Russ,Blaine,Darrell

http://brightwoodturnings.com

2014-15 TBC-- 11

coyote101

Quote from: 5 SHOTS on February 29, 2016, 10:29:08 PM
Here is a pic of my small game revolver.

I used to shoot prairie dogs when I was stationed in Colorado in the mid seventies. The only center fire rifle I owned was a 7mm Rem. Mag. It's a bit much for prairie dogs, but it was all I had, so that's what I used. A prairie dog hit with a 7mm Mag. explodes into a fine red mist.  :shock2: What is left is pretty hard to field dress and doesn't leave much edible meat.  :puke:

It looks like a .500 S&W might also be slightly too much gun for prairie dogs.  :eyebrow:

Pat
NRA Life Member

nastygunz

FinsnFur

Art that thing is sick! :yoyo:
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

Brad H

I've pulled the trigger on that damn thing before.

Both ends are dangerous.

Brad

pitw

I say what I think not think what I say.