• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.
Main Menu

The two he missed

Started by awh, July 10, 2007, 10:39:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

awh

Took last week off originally to be w/ my sister & brother as they were scheduled to have surgery. It changed so I still took the week off. :biggrin:
Wife had me working on Cam's her new pool and the ground hogs started their crap again. Ya know....taunting me.....Soooooo,

The first one got it with the .17 HMR through the ol heart. Never flinched. I'm starting to like this lil gun a bit more as I'm getting use to it.

The second one was from the next day and was all the way across our field in back of the house. So I grabbed the .204 and tried to get Jerry a ear to ear shot but she moved her head just as I shot. So in one ear and out about 1/8 below the other one this time. I'll keep trying Jerry.... :eyebrow:

And after the pool was starting to fill with water me and the Camster headed over to a friends to shoot the crap for a while and get out of the sun. We were at his barn talking and I hear a hawk above us. Look up to see your average redtail hawk heading into the edge of the tree line above the barn. Then the friend said look in the dead oak. There sat a white albino redtail hawk. He said she had nested there for the last few years and was almost always hanging around that tree.
Sorry about the pic, had the old camera and it will not zoom far enough.

And before HaMer comes over asking and getting me back from yesterday....the .17 hog was 50 yards and the .204 hog was 250 yards. I had the sun in my eyes, wind coming in from the east at 20mph and shot them both left handed standing on one leg while listing to three kids beg, let me shoot them. And I forgot to put my contacts in that morning..... :biggrin: Heck, if I hadn't heard the grass move on the 204 hog I'd a never knew she was out there.....
My views and opinions are based upon being banned from a place that has no morals or the common sense God gave to a pecker gnat. I also hate frogs and will reply to such at any given chance. Thank You.

canine

Sweet! I wish we had more groundhogs here to shoot. The ones we have stay right next to the roadways :rolleye:

That hawk is to cool...never seen an all white one before.

Have fun up-keepin on that pool :laf: They are a pain in the arse!!! :eyebrownod:

JD

Hawks Feather

I know that it would have been an ear to ear except that he started to turn as the bullet first hit him.  I will give you credit for that one.  Now you just have to get faster bullets.   :biggrin:  Nice hogs.

Jerry

awh

I'm going to opposite way Jerry. We are working on some loads using the 45 grain SP's right now to keep from tearing the reds a new one this up coming season. The hollow points really did a number on them last year and I am trying to save a little more fur. Now for the dirt pigs, I still have 3 boxes of the hollow points left and if I can ever get one to stand and look towards me we'll see how close I can get one between the eyes. :eyebrow: Should make a nice hole in the back side I hope.
My views and opinions are based upon being banned from a place that has no morals or the common sense God gave to a pecker gnat. I also hate frogs and will reply to such at any given chance. Thank You.

Hawks Feather

I don't have a 204, but I did load up some 35 grain ballistic tips for my 22 Hornet and they entered, but didn't exit a groundhog's head.  It did do some damage, not the least of which was bugging their eyes out into long ovals.  I had never had that before or since, but then I have been shooting the .221 most of the time.

Jerry

HaMeR

:roflmao:  Great account of the happenings!! I felt like I was there whilst I read it!! :roflmao:

I like both of those rds a whole lot. The 17gr V-Max from Hornady shoot lights out & the 20gr XTP"S will run with em out of my Marlin. The 20's seem to like a little more bone tho. Like in the head. The 204 has blown a hole or 2 for me with the 40gr Bergers too.

:confused:  Were you shooting left handed on your left or right leg tho?? :eyebrow: :shrug:

Nice hogs & good shootin!!
Glen

RIP Russ,Blaine,Darrell

http://brightwoodturnings.com

2014-15 TBC-- 11

awh

Left handed on my right leg while drinking a cold beer with my right hand that I opened with my left leg before the shot. :confused:  :doh2:

Where are you getting the 20 grainers for the .17?  Only thing I can find around here are the 17 gr Winchesters, which shoot pretty good. But I'd like to try the 20 gr to see if they would do any better on some small critters. :eyebrow:  I picked up a box of 33 gr V-max for the 22 mag but haven't had a chance to see how they do yet. Then again the more I shoot this hummer the more I think Cam is going to end up w/ the mag or I'll end up trading it for something else down the road.

Oh ya Jerry. While Cam was shooting at those two last week and missing, there might have been a feline that I looked at through the scope and might have accidentally touched the trigger on.  :shrug: Cam said he didn't see nothing after the fact...... :biggrin: But then again there wasn't much left to look at. :innocentwhistle:

Hawks Feather

Cat be gone!  You are a good man.   :congrats:

Jerry

FinsnFur

Hey this is a hunting board, you can't show blood  :holdon:

Nevermind... :iroll: I was having a flashback  :innocentwhistle:
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

possumal

Quote from: FinsnFur on July 10, 2007, 05:10:11 PM
Hey this is a hunting board, you can't show blood  :holdon:

Nevermind... :iroll: I was having a flashback  :innocentwhistle:

:roflmao: :roflmao: Damn Jim, somebody's face is burning from that one, maybe their ears too!!  Ribot! Ribot!   :iroll: :nono:
Al Prather
Foxpro Field Staff

HaMeR

Those 20gr'ers are all around here. The CCI GamePoint too. They are the same as the XTP with a different label.

Can I ship a box of that stuff regular mail without a hazmat fee?? :shrug:
Glen

RIP Russ,Blaine,Darrell

2014-15 TBC-- 11

HaMeR

:holdon:  Was the label blue on that beer?? If not then it wasn't cold enough yet!!

:laf: :laf:
Glen

RIP Russ,Blaine,Darrell

2014-15 TBC-- 11

keekee

Nice hogs awh! And good shooting as well!

Brent

awh

Yeap. it was blue, but no label on it. I think you can see it in it's empty state in pic #2. And I keep my beer on ice even in the winter. A fridge don't cut it when your wanting a cold beer.

I'm having my brother look in Bristol this weekend to see if he can find any of the 20 gr ammo there. I'm almost positive ya can't legally ship them w/o a haz fee.

Jim........That ain't blood.  :innocentwhistle: I promise I'll behave and never ever do it again. Until next time when the dirt pigs are taunting me again. :biggrin: (I didn't break the TOS did I????  :roflmao:)

ohiobob

Danny
Having fun with the 17 huh,,I really like mine,,and I havent shot a groundhog with the 20 Grn XTP's yet BUT I did shoot a Crow in half with a 20 Grn XTP,, I HAD pics but the damn PC laid a turd on me and I lost them,,NOW I put them in
Photobucket,,I shot another Crow also that was MANGLED to no end,,it even made the wife say WOW !!! and she is a Blonde so it ISNT EASY for her to say WOW  :shrug: :laf: I need to get the 22-250 Bloody this week
Bob
You don't shoot to kill; you shoot to stay alive.

A gun in the hand is better than a cop on the phone!!!

Bushmaster Predator .223,,4x14 Burris

Parke-Hale .22-.250 6x24 Tasco

Red Fag is a "Ruling Queen" Then ???

HaMeR

Crows with the HMR?? :eyebrow:   How about a pigeon?? :eyebrow:
Glen

RIP Russ,Blaine,Darrell

2014-15 TBC-- 11

ohiobob

Them to Glen,,the Crow I shot in half was NASTY  :biggrin: :yoyo: It seperated the top from the Bottom,,it hung in a Pine tree BY IT'S GUTS for maybe 2 seconds,,The guy that lives at the house looked at me with bugged eyes  :shck:
I asked him IF I seen that right,,I thought it hung By a foot for 2 seconds BUT it was by its guts,,and then it seperated and hit the ground,,,DAMN I wish I had My pics on Photobucket a LONG time ago BEFORE my PC crashed  :mad3:
Bob
You don't shoot to kill; you shoot to stay alive.

A gun in the hand is better than a cop on the phone!!!

Bushmaster Predator .223,,4x14 Burris

Parke-Hale .22-.250 6x24 Tasco

Red Fag is a "Ruling Queen" Then ???

vvarmitr

Danny: on that ear to ear shot it sounds to me ya don't take into consideration the rotating of the earth. :wo:

awh

^^  :roflmao: :roflmao: I'll make sure to tell HaMeR that on the next pic I post... :roflmao:

I haven't shot many birds with the 17 yet. But I do know the feral cats don't move after being hit behind the shoulder with it. The 204 does the same thing to them. But it takes chunks out. Big ol chunks... :yoyo:

Have any of you tried the 17 gr bullets? Just wondering how they grouped out of your guns compaired to the 20 gr. The little savage I have shoots the 17 gr bullets very well. But I still want to try the the 20's.

HaMeR

My Marlin shoots the 17gr poly V-Max into 3/4" at 100yds. The 17gr HP's shoot around 1 1/4" at 100yds.

Rotation of the earth huh?? :wo:  I always thought my head was spinnin!! :shrug: :confused: :laf: :laf:
Glen

RIP Russ,Blaine,Darrell

2014-15 TBC-- 11