• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.

Another Military Gun shoot . . .

Started by Frogman, November 01, 2009, 05:35:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Frogman

I posted about a previous Fort Harmar Rifle Club Military Gun shoot back in the spring.  We had another one today 11/1/09 at the Ft. Harmar outdoor range.  Thought you guys might enjoy some of the pics.  It was hoot!!  

First is a photo of the firing line which is about 150 yards long . . .

Lots of machine guns of all types and sizes lined up.  Ahh the sweet smell of gunpowder in the air.  Lots of noise too!

Down range the club had set up some old cars, a van, and lots of smaller targets like old propane tanks, etc.  Many of these items had demolition charges in them that would explode when hit by a round from the guns!!  Just as we arrived someone hit the charge under the van and it exploded into several peices that flew at least a 100 feet in the air!!  Awesome!!  Here are the remains of some of the targets . . .

Here is a cannon that fires 16 lb. bowling balls up in the air nearly out of sight!

A couple of the guns

Even the little kids are encouraged to get in on the fun . . .

This young guy decided to try the .50 calibre sniper rifle . . .

And some more shots of some great folks having a really good time . . .

Didn't want the ladies to feel left out . . .

A couple more shots of guns taken during a break . . .

This event is kind of like a miniature Knob Creek machine gun shoot.  Lots of people had really big grins on their faces this afternoon.  Probably asking themselves, "Are we really allowed to have this much fun?? Make this much noise, and enjoy the smell of gunpowder in the air??"  I know I really enjoyed it.  A big thanks to the Fort Harmar Rifle Club for sponsoring such an exciting event!!

Jim  
You can't kill 'em from the recliner!!

CCP

Jim THANKS for sharing that is so cool. :yoyo: I would love to go to one of these. I always wanted to do the Knob Creek shoot maybe one day I will make it.
easterncoyotes.com

ccp@finsandfur.net

weedwalker

That would be a blast to get out and shoot like that. :yoyo: Did you get to shoot or were you a spectator?

Frogman

Weedwalker,

This guy let me shoot the gun he is shooting in this picture.  Quite a thrill.  He told me he had more ammo for these guns than he could possibly shoot up in his lifetime?? 

If you pay $10.00 they let you right up on the firing line.  Lots of these guys will let you shoot thier guns if you are friendly and chat them up a little.  I had trouble with the gun as it jammed a couple orf times while I was shooting.  Still a hoot.  I have some video shots from the shoot, but I'm not sure how to post them up.  I took the video with the video feature on my digital camera??  If someone coulg tell me how, I would post the videos!

Jim 

Hawks Feather

That looks like LOTS of FUN and even more when you get to shoot.

Jerry

HaMeR

Just save the video to a photobucket acc't & paste the same code you use for pictures into your reply.
Glen

RIP Russ,Blaine,Darrell

http://brightwoodturnings.com

2014-15 TBC-- 11

pitw

Oh man that would be so neat to see.  I'm thinking loud too :shrug:.
I say what I think not think what I say.

Frogman

OK guys, I'm going to try to upload a few videos from the machine gun shoot.  This first one is the longest and just shows lots of the guns being fired at once . . .

Hope this comes out OK.   Be sure to turn your sound way up . . . . to really get the full effect!!!

Jim

Frogman

Here are the other videos . . .

This one show a guy trying to empty a whole belt of ammo downrange . . .

And here I am shooting one of the guns.  For some reason it was jamming a lot.  Just didn't like me I guess.  Still lots of fun . . .

And the last one of the bowling ball cannon going off.  Look closely and you should be able to see the ball arching up toward the target area.  What a hoot!!!

Hope you guys got these to work and enjoyed them as much as I did!!

Jim

HaMeR

:roflmao: :roflmao:  How cool is that??  :laf: :laf:
Glen

RIP Russ,Blaine,Darrell

http://brightwoodturnings.com

2014-15 TBC-- 11

FOsteology

Dude, that is frickin' schweeeet! Looks like fun!  :yoyo:

FinsnFur

Wow.
I would love to go to one of those sometime. :eyebrownod:
I wonder what the locals were thinking, those that didnt know anything about the event., once the shooting began :roflmao:

Oh I got a stupid question too, since I'm too young to have served time in any war, but that gun that you shot up there. Is that an original or a homemade deal? I cannot imagine trying to hit the broad side of a barn from the inside with those handles on it like that so close together. :confused:
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

Frogman

Jim,

That is an origional 1920 machine gun made for the Russians.  It fires the 7.62x54 Russian cartridge.  The way it is set up on the tripod it is quite accurate.  I was trying to shoot short bursts to attempt to hit a propane tank at about 200 yards.  I was getting real close, but the thing kept jamming.  Then the RO called a cease fire because some flying debries had started a fire in the leaves up on the hillside to the right of the target area.  I watched the guy who owns the gun hit several of those tanks.  Some of them had charges in them and if you hit them they exploded in a huge fireball.  Really fun!

Jim

FinsnFur

:eyebrownod: I gotta get to one of those sometime.
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com