• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.

More comments on the new FX-5

Started by possumal, June 02, 2007, 02:27:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

possumal

I noticed it had been a long time since anyone had posted to Jim's original topic, so decided to start a new topic about it. Having hunted this past season with the new FX-5, I have lots of thoughts about it.  First, I think the remote is so much better than the FX-3 remote that you can go on and on about just that. You don't have to "Wake up" the remote for the FX-5 like you did with the FX-3, which is a big advantage if you have been sitting there awhile.  Some of the features are not important at all to me, i.e. the time on stand.  I do think the volume level is very important as you know what level you are operating at even if the wind is so bad you can't hear the caller 100 yds away.  My favorite improvements are the 4 presets and the recall button.  The presets are so easy to set that I sometimes change them between stands.  Add in the recall button and you really have 5 presets if you think about it. I always keep preset number P4 as either the Coyote Death Cry, Coyote Pup Distress, or one of the Ki-yi's so I can immediately hit that if I have shot a coyote and want to stop the mate or call in another in the area.  On the negative side, I have trouble reading the 6 sounds listed on the screen, so I renumbered my sounds to have a space between each sound, making it much easier to read. That still leaves you capacity for 100 sounds which is more than I would ever use.  The extra memory (1GB) is a great feature too, as I like to use sequences that I have made using sound editing software, as they have been really effective for me. I like the idea of punching one sound and having it last 10 to 15 minutes with periods of silence worked in and switching from a coyote sound to a prey species without doing anything but watch and listen.  Someone made a post that they would like it better if the buttons were raised, and that is an easy self improvement. Go to Lowe's or any store like that and you can find some clear stick on buttons that work absolutely great to give you that better feeling that you have actually clicked a button. The ones I used are called "Grippers" and are found in the area where you buy things to silence doors and drawers.  For you guys who think the backlit display is too bright for night hunting, there is a way to set it for a duller backlight, but I don't recall exactly how it is done as I can't hunt at night here anyway. It doesn't seem very bright to me, as it wouldn't be shining out toward the critter anyway, but I am not experienced on that element and will take the night hunters' word on that one.  One final note that I have made a lot of posts on other forums is that if you will switch to a 2.3AH 12V battery, which fits perfectly into the zippered pocket of the carrying case, you will be far better satisfied with both the performance of the caller and the battery life, including recharging. When I come in from hunting, all I have to do is plug in the end from the wall charger into my 10 ft. cable, with no doors to remove like with the 8aa pack. I have mine equipped with a 10 foot cord, making it easy to hang the caller up in a bush and put the carrying case and battery where you need it on the ground. I have the JIB equipped with a 10 ft. cord also giving you the ability to put the decoy where you need to. All in all, having the FX-5 was surely worth the $215.00 upgrade fee, as it is far superior to the FX-3. :yoyo: Here are a couple of photos of how to improve your remote for the FX-3, FX-5, or Minaska remote

Al Prather
Foxpro Field Staff

Nelson

Possumal,

Thanks for the comments on the FX-5.  I plan to upgrade my FX-3 soon, and the information was very helpful.  One question, did you make the 10' cords yourself or did you get them from FoxPro?  Thanks for your answer.

Nelson

possumal

I had the Foxpro boys make both 10 ft. cords because they have the right terminal ends, and they didn't charge much to make them. One thing I forgot to mention in my post is that when you buy your 2.3AH 12V battery, make sure you get the type that has the positive and negative terminals on opposite ends of the battery top. This prevents you accidentally shorting out your battery when you tuck the end of the 10 ft. cord down into the zippered pocket. I usually leave about 1 inch and the terminal end sticking out with the zipper closed tight against the cord. That way you don't have to search for it when you set up before daylight. Hope this helps.

You can get the terminal ends from Foxpro and make your own cables if you are so inclined.  If you have the Foxpro wallcharger though, it is important you have the matching terminal end. 
Al Prather
Foxpro Field Staff

CCP

I haven't tried the FX5 but have the FX3 and 416. One of the problems I had with the FX3 and 416 was having to tote cords,Horn speaker and decoy and hope I didn't forget one or the other. I opted for the Minaska All In One and only have to worry about bringing one thing. I would like to try the FX5.

Al do you know if the new sounds Foxpro has will work on other callers? Someone told me they were in some weird format.
easterncoyotes.com

ccp@finsandfur.net

possumal

My understanding is that the proprietary sounds offered by Foxpro will only play on a Foxpro. They won't even play on your computer. That is the negative side. The positive side is their new Mark II library is outstanding in every way. People who can't make up their mind on which caller to buy need to do a complete comparison.  I don't work for Foxpro or Minaska and have nothing to gain or lose from either company. I think they both offer the best customer service in the industry.  That being said, I notice a lot of posts about the Minaska Big Country being loud.  Go to the Foxpro forum and read the article concerning wildlife caller comparisons by Mike Dillon to see the technical differences between the FX-5 and the Big Country.  I understand Minaska is coming out with an improved version of the Big Country with a bigger amplifier and a heat sync it lacked before. That will no doubt improve their caller and get rid of some if not all the white noise on the top end.  A person considering which to buy should hook up one of the big speakers to the FX-5 and then compare.  Either the FX-5 or the Big Country is louder than it needs to be under most circumstances, in my opinion. If you use the wind to your advantage, you can get by with a lot less volume in any location.  Comparing other features, the FX-5 having 4 presets, a recall button, and the volume indicator are features I wish Minaska would offer. I have said for a long time if those two companies would team up, you'd have a caller out of this world.  I really like the remote operation on the Big Country or Bandit, except for it not having the presets or the volume indicator. I can understand Foxpro protecting their sound library as they spent a lot to develop it.  With either the FX-5 or the Big Country, learning to use sound editing software to make your own sequences gives you the ability to make all the sounds you could ever need, including changing them.  Everybody has a right to their opinion, but why anyone needs 200 sounds to hunt predators is beyond me. It is far more important to me having sufficient memory to hold your sequence calls. One punch and sit back and watch with no movement at all. Kill one, hit your preset to Coyote Death Cry and you are in business
Al Prather
Foxpro Field Staff

CCP

QuoteEverybody has a right to their opinion, but why anyone needs 200 sounds to hunt predators is beyond me.

I am with you there Al first thing I did was take them off and install the 8 or 10 I needed. I then bought a few extra cards and put different sounds on them and leave em in the truck just in case.
easterncoyotes.com

ccp@finsandfur.net